• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Six egg yolks

Kim Shook

A savory custard with, say, caramelized onions (or onion confit!) and your favorite cheese would be good. It'd be pretty rich using only egg yolks so make a big salad to go with it. :biggrin:

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

I just had 7 egg yolks a few days ago. I put them into a double batch of waffle batter and served PA Dutch "chicken and waffles" for dinner. In our case, it was turkey on the waffles, with turkey gravy on top. MMM.

~ Lori in PA

My blog: http://inmykitcheninmylife.blogspot.com/

My egullet blog: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=89647&hl=

"Cooking is not a chore, it is a joy."

- Julia Child

Here you go. Savory Custard With Caramelized Onions and Smoked Cheese

Substitute the three large eggs for four (or more) of your yolks. Personally, I like to caramelize the onions with half butter (unsalted) and half extra-virgin olive oil. And while smoked cheese is super tasty a soft, tangy goats cheese also works well.

If you have access to fresh herbs (such as chervil, chives or summer savory), by all means use them, too! :biggrin:

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Substitute the three large eggs for four (or more) of your yolks. Personally, I like to caramelize the onions with half butter (unsalted) and half extra-virgin olive oil. And while smoked cheese is super tasty a soft, tangy goats cheese also works well.

If you have access to fresh herbs (such as chervil, chives or summer savory), by all means use them, too!  :biggrin:

Thank you so much. That sounds fantastic. I have to work 12 pm to 10 pm tomorrow through Sunday. Do you think that I can make this in the am and reheat when I get home?

If you have access to fresh herbs (such as chervil, chives or summer savory), by all means use them, too!  :biggrin:

Thank you so much. That sounds fantastic. I have to work 12 pm to 10 pm tomorrow through Sunday. Do you think that I can make this in the am and reheat when I get home?

Yes, you could. Bring custard to room temperature and reheat in the microwave. Or gently reheat in a double-boiler.

Twin Peaks

Avgolemono soup. Chicken, lemons (lots!), rice, good chicken stock, thickened with a hollandaise-ish sauce. You can add fresh grated ginger for a very unauthentic but slightly richer lemon flavor, and fresh lemon zest added at the end helps round out the flavor nicely.

Emily

Avgolemono soup. Chicken, lemons (lots!), rice, good chicken stock, thickened with a hollandaise-ish sauce. You can add fresh grated ginger for a very unauthentic but slightly richer lemon flavor, and fresh lemon zest added at the end helps round out the flavor nicely.

Emily

Great idea; you just wisk the egg (or yolk) in at the end.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Not quite savory, but you could make Lemon Cheese. This is similar to lemon curd, but I've never quite figured out the difference.

In any case both are delicious & easy to make.

Emily

Great idea; you just wisk the egg (or yolk) in at the end.

I find it works much better if you prepare the yolks as if making Hollandaise sauce, and add stock from the soup to thin it out. Once I get it to a near watery consistency, I pour it into the soup pot. It's a bit more work, but then the soup is much less likely to curdle when reheated.

Emily

A garlic custard would be fabulous!!

OK, Bill. Garlic custard is one of my favorite things. Do you have a tried and true recipe? I had it at a restaurant one time with lobster meat and a butter sauce and it was amazing.

Go to http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/lamb-chops-garlic-custard. Looks good to me and it's a web exclusive--not in their book.Based on dish Cindy Wolf serves at Charleston in Baltimore.

Edited by Bill Miller (log)

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

The basic recipe I use for savory custard in the rest. is 12 yolks to a qt of cream then add flavorings. If the flavoring is of a high fat content omit a yolk ie; in the case of foie gras custard. Mix the custard base put into a mold or cup then cook in a h20 bath at 300* until set, custard is set when the jiggle test reveals at most a dime size of loose custard in the middle of the mold. Bear in mind this is for a soup cup size mold, smaller molds are less than dime size.

Good luck.

A garlic custard would be fabulous!!

OK, Bill. Garlic custard is one of my favorite things. Do you have a tried and true recipe? I had it at a restaurant one time with lobster meat and a butter sauce and it was amazing.

Go to http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/lamb-chops-garlic-custard. Looks good to me and it's a web exclusive--not in their book.Based on dish Cindy Wolf serves at Charleston in Baltimore.

Bill, that looks truly wonderful. Thanks so much for the link. I copied and will definitely be making that soon!!!

Oh, wow, oh, wow, petite tête de chou! That custard recipe was awsome! Mr. Kim and I both just loved it! I used your idea of doing half butter half olive oil and since Mr. Kim doesn't like smoked cheeses, I used an aged Gouda that I had on hand. It feels very cool to make something that 'upscale' from what are basically leftovers and 'on hand' items. Thank you so much!