• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trinary phasic Equation

dejaq

102o9k9.gif

Trinary phasic Equation

This simple process makes the craft of “Pastry” “elementary”, I will attempt to share this knowledge with you, it stems from an understanding that everything is interrelated. There is an inverse relationship to each facet, that intrinsically effects everything we do in the lab, by understanding the physics behind the construction process, we are in a better position to appreciate the elimination of the “dark Arts” or “thumb to the Air” qualities that remove some many of the myths and fallacies to our industry.

Remember the last time you kicked something out of the mixer and it felt hotter than usual… or you baked on a rainy day? And something didn’t come out right…this equation addresses these key concerns, in an effort to standardize the science behind the Art and make everything equalized on a more even playing field.

Here are the components:

Time: time is a relative state, it exists as a constant, it can be accelerated, or decelerated depending on your needs or your approach. Time is directly linked to Temperature; let me give you an example.

You have a creamed aerated batter with a paddle attachment that is moving at a given speed (let’s say 2nd speed on your Hobart mixer) the machine is generating heat and has a heat signature called a Friction Factor)-more on this latter, is a separate thread. Given all ingredients are at ambient , lets say 75 F, it is only natural to figure that as the machine revolves, it generates heat (raising the temperature of the batter over a course of Time. The longer the Time the machine spins or if we increase the speed of revolution, the greater the heat generation, which can effect a final batter temperature, and project it out of range for optimum results.

Temperature: is a critical element, a desired “target’ temperature can effect everything including the volumetric specific gravity of the final product, have you ever wondered why a cake batter is heavier at times and at times it falls short of expectations? This

Is because some variable is out of whack, like the temperature of key ingredients such as butter or eggs being too cold, or a bakery being way to hot (IE. heavy cream not whipping in a given Time because your ambient is exceeding 100 F) we have all had this happen, no and there was nothing wrong with the cows that week, either…

Distance: this is a tricky concept, but it is related. The shortest distance between two points on a graph is to draw a straight line, correct…if you need something to be constructed in the minimum of time, a modification to the production technique may or can be in order. (I have a flourless Chocolate recipe that I have been using that is baked thin about 3 millimeters in sheets and is used for a multitude of different things including a Decadence cake that gets a striation of Gianduja mousse and gelified Passionfruit crème brulee’. The process for the cake batter is put together in such a way that the Cocoa is actually added to the meringue vs. the base, to streamline production, shortening the distance or Time of construction. Distance can also have an expansion applied to it as well…

I realize these are sophisticated concepts, but perhaps at a minimum, they can challenge everyone to “think differently”. That essentially is what this is all about, how to take some of the guess work out of it, and make you into an even better Pastry Chef.

I know this is going to get jogged around, you can always backchannel me, I welcome your questions, and thought provoking imput.

Michael

:wink:

Edited by dejaq (log)

Well. I only peeked in here to say, "Oh Patrick" (because he is like science-boy) Because your average trinary phasic equations are not my cup of tea, ugh, er, cup of diet coke. My eyes crossed permanently but I got a b in college algebra and I happily quietly forgot it all as soon as possible kinda sorta.

So all that to say, this is not only pretty cool and not at all what I expected, it's a pretty tall order. Go for it.

Edited by K8memphis (log)

Awesome! I love it! Optimization and baking. On a more practical note, I remember putting 'mush' into heated chocolate and then used an emersion blender and the temperature of the chocolate has risen to over 91degrees and hence thrown it out of temper. Anyone had that experience?

I feel like I am drunk. It was harder for me to read this passage than understand it.

I wasn't sure this issue needed clarification. Isn't this basically what things like this forum is for. Who doesn't understand rythym in the kitchen? Things happen for a reason, figure it out. If you can't come online and someone can tell you why. There is an answer for everything. I know dejaq is intelligent, but I think all you need is a credit in high school chemistry and physics to figure this stuff out. Maybe not even physics. Energy in colliding matter creates friction thus if you beat the hell out of butter in a kitchen thats 90degreesF and your butter is 80degreesF, your creaming isn't going to come out very well. Pretty simple.

Maybe there is something more you were trying to emphasize dejaq, I probably just lost it in all of the eloquently placed words.

That are bakers percentages that you can look up for all needs of kitchen work. Bread production has formulas right down to the temperature of the flour and how the finished product will turn out. But common sense tells you if its very hot and humid, USE COLD WATER. And visa versa.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

I feel like I am drunk.  It was harder for me to read this passage than understand it.

I wasn't sure this issue needed clarification.  Isn't this basically what things like this forum is for.  Who doesn't understand rythym in the kitchen?  Things happen for a reason, figure it out.  If you can't come online and someone can tell you why.  There is an answer for everything.  I know dejaq is intelligent, but I think all you need is a credit in high school chemistry and physics to figure this stuff out.  Maybe not even physics.  Energy in colliding matter creates friction thus if you beat the hell out of butter in a kitchen thats 90degreesF and your butter is 80degreesF, your creaming isn't going to come out very well.  Pretty simple.

Maybe there is something more you were trying to emphasize dejaq, I probably just lost it in all of the eloquently placed words.

That are bakers percentages that you can look up for all needs of kitchen work.  Bread production has formulas right down to the temperature of the flour and how the finished product will turn out.  But common sense tells you if its very hot and humid, USE COLD WATER.  And visa versa.

wait a Tick, who ever said I was intelligent, I am in the Hospitality Industry, LOL, my father actually is very upset with me for having this as a course of study,"how could a son of mine wind up Playing with food" yeah and look at what happened to him, that bedouin, running around in the middle of no-where living in a shanty of a shack out in Yuma nowhere, ha for a man to leave his loving wife and one year old son, and not realize what he(his son) turned into is a first class idiot, for all you ladies out there that made poor choices in the Men in your lives, that wound up kirking out on them also, my heart extends out to you... also, that's why we men have gotta bad wrap, sometimes we find it difficult to focus, we just don't know what is good for us.

As for "dear Old dad", I am sorry I am of on this tangent, intelligence is relative and should only be matched by Wisdom as a Governor, it smooths it all out, I have known many "intellegent" "older" souls, they may have been arrogant, and at 50 something haven't a clue of why they are here, where they are going, once they pass on, nor what the true meaning of life is really all about...

Anthony, you have to realize one thing, my brother, this thread was in my mind, but I put it to paper in the spanse of about an hour, here at work, lets just say it's a part of a continuing series, I could write a book, and I am going to, I could build a web site, that is in the works-right now, you will learn a lot, I know that some others have been hard on you about grammer and such, (I just love intellasense in Word), but I like your style, you ask questions, it a "good thing" to find out about the world around you, it's a little scary out there, I don't have to tell you to be carefull...Peace

Michael

Edited by dejaq (log)