• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sarasota Dining

ldenney

Does anyone have up to date info on restaurants in the Sarasota area? My parents are spending February in Sarasota and I'd like to give them a gift certificate for dinner at a good restaurant. Price range is about $150.

"There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich now and then."

-Harriet M. Welsch

While strolling around downtown Sarasota at midday a couple of weeks ago, I looked at all of the menus that were posted outside restaurant doors. To me, the most interesting menu was at MoZaic on main street. Unfortunately, it was not open for lunch so I did not have the chance to determine whether the food was as good as the descriptions.

• 1 month later...
While strolling around downtown Sarasota at midday a couple of weeks ago, I looked at all of the menus that were posted outside restaurant doors.  To me, the most interesting menu was at MoZaic on main street.  Unfortunately, it was not open for lunch so I did not have the chance to determine whether the food was as good as the descriptions.

Here's some good news for you. MoZaic has opened up on Main. They have gotten some pretty good reviews too. haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but when I do I'll post about it on dineSarasota.com

• 3 weeks later...

Told Ya So!!!!!!!

Derek Barnes of Derek's Culinary Casual, 514 Central Avenue, Sarasota was one of twenty chefs nominated last week as a semi-finalist for the 2009 James Beard Foundation Awards.

Twenty chefs from five different states have been put onto the roster for "Best Chef South."

Read More at

http://www.dereks-sarasota.com

Derek is cookin and I'm watching snow flakes.

Viejo

"A dry crust of bread eaten in peace and quiet is better than a feast eaten where everyone argues" Proverbs (17:1).