• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: *Deborah* - Power, Convection and Lies

I was the wise one who saved the last three bites of my dessert until just before we left... velevety deep chocolate goodness! It's a wonder that you were able to get us out the door just after midnight as I would've happily camped out on your kitchen floor, fork in hand, until every last morsel of that torte was gone. :biggrin:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Deborah! These photos of your table, the top covered with delicious food and the chairs holding people to share with, I'm very happy just seeing the visual evidence of such a great meal!

I am fortunate to have the friends, believe me, not only are they great company and amusing raconteurs, they are all so helpful and giving.

I never would have made it to, let alone through, last night without them! Friends, I salute you!

:wub:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

I was the wise one who saved the last three bites of my dessert until just before we left... velevety deep chocolate goodness!  It's a wonder that you were able to get us out the door just after midnight as I would've happily camped out on your kitchen floor, fork in hand, until every last morsel of that torte was gone.  :biggrin:

I left it on the counter last night, ha ha ha, guess what I'm having for breakfast! :biggrin:

Agenda-free since 1966.

I am fortunate to have the friends, believe me, not only are they great company and amusing raconteurs...

However, esoteric we are not. The subject matter of our conversation went straight down the toilet in record time. :laugh:
I left it on the counter last night, ha ha ha, guess what I'm having for breakfast! :biggrin:

I'll be over in three minutes. :raz:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Deb, that chocolate torte was unbelievably good!! I am so glad I made in time for dessert. And those potatoes, thank god there were leftovers. Before we left I managed to inhale a few spoonfuls and oh my :wub: I must have thosee again. They were tthe most unctuous thing I have put in my mouth all weekend. Thank You!!

Edited by peppyre (log)

gallery_28661_2918_170815.jpg

Mrs. VanLee, HKDave, VanLee, Mooshmouse

Then it was time for dessert!

Very nice! This image just sums it all up: good friends, good food, good wine.

Edited by barolo (log)

Cheers,

Anne

What a fab dinner!!! And great pics of the Wolf in action!! Gorgeous range!!!!!!! Your counters look great...what are they? Oh and that picture of you? Based on the fact that you had three hours sleep and shopped and cooked all day? Fab, I say! I would have been *under the table, napping*...so I think you did extremely well!

What a fab dinner!!!  And great pics of the Wolf in action!!  Gorgeous range!!!!!!!  Your counters look great...what are they?  Oh and that picture of you?  Based on the fact that you had three hours sleep and shopped and cooked all day?  Fab, I say!  I would have been *under the table, napping*...so I think you did extremely well!

(Sorry, forgot about the multi-quote thing)

The counters are granite. I had it in my last place and wouldn't have anythng else, I really like the way it feels and it performs beautifully.

I'm actually quite surprised I *wasn't* under the table :laugh: Cheers :smile:

Lorna: Thanks!

Edited by *Deborah* (log)

Agenda-free since 1966.

Sounds and looks like you had a great time. The food sure looks delicious.

Know that you've taken the Wolf around the block a couple a times, what if anything, don't you like about it?

Well, I don't know if two days' use is "around the block a couple a times" but so far, what's not to like? :biggrin:

Agenda-free since 1966.

*Deborah*,

You look so wonderfully calm and in the middle of a reno too! What panache! Your food looks absolutely delicious and.... your Wolf. Now, where's that envy icon?

If only Jack Nicholson could have narrated my dinner, it would have been perfect.

Deborah, thanks so much for doing this while you're going though a reno! I love your kitchen stove & your colours.

I also love the fact we're once again hearing from Mooshmouse & Peppyre. Where have they been lately? :rolleyes:

Edited by jayhay (log)

Great little blog you got here, and a neat circle of friends to match.

But I know I prompted you back at the beginning about the fridge, and I see you've studiously avoided opening it up for us.

C'mon, we wanna see!

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Great little blog you got here, and a neat circle of friends to match.

But I know I prompted you back at the beginning about the fridge, and I see you've studiously avoided opening it up for us.

C'mon, we wanna see!

Hey, Sandy :smile:

I don't know how exciting it is, but here's my fridge! lots more full than a week ago :raz:

gallery_28661_2918_26274.jpg

The door. Asian sauces mostly in the top left, butter on the right. Capers, jalapeños, maraschino cherries; mustards and yuzu. Strawberry jam and caramel sauce, Black Diamond cheddar slices. In the bottom, salada dressings, mayonnaise, Cinzano Aranciato, barbecue sauces, maple syrup, Ch. de Sancerre, Heinz, I think that's a Grey Monk Pinot Auxerrois.

And the fridge itself:

gallery_28661_2918_61254.jpg

Milk, water, Light Cream; Gulden's mustard, El Paso salsa, pickled beets, eggs. San Pellegrino Aranciata and Limonata, Fresca (got a craving in the store!) and Coca-Cola. Joie A Noble One, Grey Monk Pinot Auxerrois, Veuve Cliquot, some Strongbow, Crisco, a few eggs left in there, more salsa, cilantro, Italian parsley. Piper Heidseck Rosé Sauvage (I think that's what they're calling it), a bottle of Masianco, some Corona, some duck fat, some Red Snapper, an English cucumber, dill, Hellman's. In the drawers: on the right, that half-butchered duck; on the left, those cheeses and some shredded Asiago and some dill dip.

Edited by *Deborah* (log)

Agenda-free since 1966.

At this moment, I am sipping on a bottle of The Edge 2003 Cabernet Sauvignon. Yum! I like this stuff.

gallery_28661_2918_36661.jpg

My feet are up, and I'm relaxing. Yeeessssss. My kitchen is a mess again, but I don't feel like cleaning it again just now :raz:

This afternoon, I made a tropical trifle to take to Daddy-A's luau. I started out making a custard with some coconut milk and some Bird's. Sometimes I make a custard from scratch, honest, but I like Bird's. I also wasn't sure how the coconut milk would take.

gallery_28661_2918_84690.jpg

I had a nice refreshing Fresca:

gallery_28661_2918_44591.jpg

Here is the custard:

gallery_28661_2918_34310.jpg

Then I cut up a nice ripe pineapple. I chopped it up and put it in a bowl with a little bit of Malibu coconut rum.

gallery_28661_2918_11005.jpg

I sliced up some mango sponge cakes I picked up at T&T the other day, and lined a bowl.

gallery_28661_2918_16638.jpg

And I sliced up a couple of mangoes. They looked about the same from the outside, but one was much more ripe than the other, so I reserved one for garnish.

gallery_28661_2918_33086.jpg

I put the pineapple chunks in the bottom of the bowl on the cake, and put the riper mangoes too:

gallery_28661_2918_37302.jpg

Then I poured the custard in, and whipped the cream with a little sugar and some coconut extract. I put the cream on top of the custard, and then sprinkled some banana chips, the leftover mango, and some coconut on top.

gallery_28661_2918_60820.jpg

Agenda-free since 1966.