• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: *Deborah* - Power, Convection and Lies

Today it is overcast yet again, and heavy rain is forecast. Not quite the beautiful day I'd hoped for to close out my blog. :sad:

Rain??? But...but...your ceiling??!!!!

The damp patch has grown, it's true. I have told my contractor and he will get the roof guy there ASAP (not sure when ASAP is on his timeline :hmmm:), but there's not a heck of a lot I can do about it, so I'm trying not to think about it! or bother you all with whining.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

The damp patch has grown, it's true. I have told my contractor and he will get the roof guy there ASAP (not sure when ASAP is on his timeline :hmmm:), but there's not a heck of a lot I can do about it, so I'm trying not to think about it! or bother you all with whining.

I remember vividly when my entryway sprang a leak. Fortunately my father came before too long to help out, and I have fond memories of him standing outside hosing the roof while I was cramped inside to see if we'd fixed the problem. You may not have the happy memories, but you'll have the relief...and the empathy of those of us who've been through it.

Meanwhile, to happier things: I am totally loving this blog, and I wish it didn't have to stop soon. I have to ask about cassava cake. I don't think I've ever had cassava, much less cassava cake, and I've been hesitant to show my ignorance here. What is it like? Is that a fruit I should track down with dogged intent so I can make my very own cake? How would I go about making such a cake?

The Japanese restaurant was terrific. Kudos to you for your photos! Kudos to the whole group for packing away so much food. I'm sure you're only doing it for our benefit. :laugh:

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Meanwhile, to happier things: I am totally loving this blog, and I wish it didn't have to stop soon.  I have to ask about cassava cake.  I don't think I've ever had cassava, much less cassava cake, and I've been hesitant to show my ignorance here.  What is it like?  Is that a fruit I should track down with dogged intent so I can make my very own cake?  How would I go about making such a cake?

Cassava is another name for manioc root. I'm not sure how widely available it is; I would check Latin and Caribbean markets if there are any in your area, or Filipino markets. This cake also has coconut in it, and condensed milk, IIRC. It's delicious! I'm sure Moosh will give us more details about it.

The Japanese restaurant was terrific.  Kudos to you for your photos!  Kudos to the whole group for packing away so much food.  I'm sure you're only doing it for our benefit.  :laugh:

All those plates were very small! :laugh: it must seem like a lot, but it didn't feel like too much for 6 adults. Besides, Vancouver eGulleters are always willing to take one for the team :wink:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Yes, Deb, we certainly can pack away an enormous amount of food. The food at Guu looked very good. I'm wondering why we didn't have a few of those the last time we were there. I'm very glad to see you went with the deep-fried bacon, because well, bacon needs to be deep-fried.

I'm so sorry the roof hasn't stopped leaking....Damn contractor...Good luck.

Well, maybe I should give it away! You can study the menu today, as I will.

Tonight we'll return to Vancouver's West End and dine at Parkside.

Enjoy! I will too, as I'm always up for a vicarious dinner at Parkside. The menu looks good, as always.

Cheers,

Anne

Oh, I'm so glad you're going to Parkside; I love the food there, the ambience...try and get a picture of the "Johnny Depp" waiter who you always mention when you you describe your meals there! :raz:

Carla

Oh, I'm so glad you're going to Parkside; I love the food there, the ambience...try and get a picture of the "Johnny Depp" waiter who you always mention when you you describe your meals there!  :raz:

:laugh:

:blush:

I'm not sure if he's working tonight, or if he'll agree to have his photo posted, but I'll see what I can do! His actual name is Michel, by the way.

I'm such a dork! :laugh:

Edited by *Deborah* (log)

Agenda-free since 1966.

[...]

Salmon and His Seven Friends:

[...]

Sounds like the title of a children's fable!

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Fabby: Oddly, no, we were not friends before eG. Moosh and I joke that if we were of opposite genders (and if she weren't married!), we'd be engaged. :wub: We've been best friends for about a year now, I guess.

I like to think of us as the Laverne and Shirley of the Vancouver forum. :laugh:
I have to ask about cassava cake.  I don't think I've ever had cassava, much less cassava cake, and I've been hesitant to show my ignorance here.  What is it like?  Is that a fruit I should track down with dogged intent so I can make my very own cake?  How would I go about making such a cake?

The Japanese restaurant was terrific.  Kudos to you for your photos!  Kudos to the whole group for packing away so much food.  I'm sure you're only doing it for our benefit.  :laugh:

The best thing about having a crack support crew is that they enable you to just sit back and eat while your minions take pictures for you. :wink:

Smithy, I did photograph the ingredients for cassava cake and will be posting about it in the Pastry & Baking forum, either in the Dessert! thread or a thread of its own. It's dead easy to make which means maximum taste returns on the effort expended!

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Smithy, I did photograph the ingredients for cassava cake and will be posting about it in the Pastry & Baking forum, either in the Dessert! thread or a thread of its own.  It's dead easy to make which means maximum taste returns on the effort expended!

Do consider starting a thread of its own. I don't know anything about cassava cake and would enjoy hearing everyone's comments about their experiences and versions.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Fabby: Oddly, no, we were not friends before eG. Moosh and I joke that if we were of opposite genders (and if she weren't married!), we'd be engaged. :wub: We've been best friends for about a year now, I guess.

I like to think of us as the Laverne and Shirley of the Vancouver forum. :laugh:

Do I get to be Squiggy then??????? :biggrin:

A.

Smithy, I did photograph the ingredients for cassava cake and will be posting about it in the Pastry & Baking forum, either in the Dessert! thread or a thread of its own.  It's dead easy to make which means maximum taste returns on the effort expended!

Do consider starting a thread of its own. I don't know anything about cassava cake and would enjoy hearing everyone's comments about their experiences and versions.

Ooh, another interested cassava cake person! I like the idea of a separate thread - but either way, I'll be eager to see and read about this. Thanks, Moosh! and Thanks, *Deborah*, for bringing up the topic!

I realize you have another entire dinner to post about yet, but these blogs have a way of closing when I'm not looking. In case I don't get back in time tomorrow, I want to thank you for a terrific blog, *Deborah*. You've shown great stamina, terrific taste in kitchen design, and even better taste in friends. :cool: May your Wolf ever be hot, and bring you many whistles.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I'm still up, Deborah. :wink: One of the many things that I've liked about your blog is that you usually download your pictures in the wee hours of the morning. They've really brightened my insomniac-ridden nights. Thanks! :biggrin:

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

I like to think of us as the Laverne and Shirley of the Vancouver forum.  :laugh:
Do I get to be Squiggy then??????? :biggrin:

:laugh:

Andrew Squigmont it is, then! Hope you'll answer to that the next time I phone you! :raz:

I am downloading pictures madly, although I will be stretching the midnight deadline for sure.

If anyone's still up, please be patient, I won't go to bed until I put this to bed.

It's been quite a day!

Go, Deeb, go... you're in the home stretch, baybee! Wish I could've been dining with you this evening to close out your blog, but both my boys were demanding an evening of quality time and I knew you'd be in fine company. You know I was there with you in spirit!

:wub:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Wednesday, the final day...started out with a coffee, of course. The sky again was overcast (it's pouring right now, but today again had the gamut from monsoon to sunshine).

gallery_28661_2918_27842.jpg

Enzo and I went to work, and it was windy enough to set off his alarm around 12:30. That's pretty windy!

For lunch, I went to The Kolachy Shop again, and had two old favourites for lunch: a chicken club kolachy, and tortilla soup. Hits the spot, I tell you!

gallery_28661_2918_9979.jpg

Then finished off the day and made my way home to get ready for dinner.

Parkside is another good thing I owe to Jamie Maw. He wrote about it around two and a half or three years ago, I'm thinking, as being "under the radar." Chef Andrey Durbach had won rave reviews at Étoile restaurant, but then opened his own place in a cozy room west of Denman Street, formerly a famous cocktail den/restaurant called Delilah's. Having just been favoured with a look-see behind the scenes, I can tell you that the kitchen is impressively large, mad French tops, a huge line of stoves, cool area in the back for pâtisserie...Chef said that most often, restaurants are 75% FOH, 25% kitchen, while he is lucky enough to have approximately a 60%-40% ratio.

I am here to tell you, in case you doubted it, that he knows what he's doing with that 40%.

I dragged my parents to Parkside around two years ago, for I think Mother's Day or Father's Day or something. I said, I think it's the kind of place you'll like! classical technique, not too pricey, not all snooty! Well, I know them well enough to have nailed it. It instantly became their favourite place in Vancouver in its price range. In 2004, I got to have three separate birthday dinners there (for the same birthday). It's where I take my friends who visit from out of town. It's where I took my dad to celebrate closing on the sale of my condo/purchaseof my house. It's where I love to go at the slightest excuse. :biggrin:

I was joined by Peppyre, SushiCat, and HKDave and the newly-arrived from HK Delectable Ms. A. We got to sit in the little round booth in the front of the restaurant.

We started out with drinks:

gallery_28661_2918_89652.jpg

Negroni, Frozen Green Apple, Italian Job, Ruby Slipper, Plymouth Martini

Charles, of course, was in fine form.

A note on the service: Michel was not working tonight, but Chris and Tony and Charles took most excellent care of us. So sorry, Minko, no pics! :laugh:

We had our drinks, and looked at the wine list, and looked at the menu. Then Tony came out and said he'd been speaking to Chef and was able to offer a 5-course tasting menu for a most attractive price, if the entire table would order it. Well! What's not to like with an offer like that?!

So leaving ourselves in their capable hands, it began.

The beautiful warm bread, with butter with fleur de sel.

gallery_28661_2918_41960.jpg

Peppyre and I decided to share a bottle of Brunello di Montalcino, and HKDave and A. shared a bottle of Gigondas:

gallery_28661_2918_54890.jpg

The first course: a duo of parfait de foie gras and duck rillette; served with rhubarb compote and prune compote and toasted brioche. That parfait is...divine.

gallery_28661_2918_14906.jpg

The pasta course: a surprising and lovely bit of linguine with garlic, pine nuts, tomato, shrimp, and vongole. Perfectly seasoned, lovely. Charles brought us all a bit of Chardonnay to go with.

gallery_28661_2918_39533.jpg

The fish course: I think this may have been our favourite overall: halibut served with minted fresh pea purée on a sliver of prosciutto, with a baby carrot, braised lettuce, and fresh morels in a truffled sauce. Ye gods, this was a beautiful dish.

gallery_28661_2918_47934.jpg

Next up, the meat: not just any meat, but a delicate slice of Wagyu tenderloin. With truffles and truffled panfried gnocchi and roasted tomatoes.

gallery_28661_2918_106076.jpg

(my first Wagyu! from Snake River Colorado, very tender and sweet meat.)

A cheese course to wind down: ash-aged chèvre with simply dressed greens and an almond crostino.

gallery_28661_2918_8498.jpg

And so that we might not burst, a very small sweet: Meyer lemon mascarpone ice cream. :wub:

gallery_28661_2918_80198.jpg

A wonderful meal, really. I mean the regular menu would have been wonderful too, but this was just a bit more special. Throughout dinner, we speculated what the mere mortals were eating...:laugh:

Thank you again, so much! it was a memorable evening, and the perfect way to close out my blog.

Edited by *Deborah* (log)

Agenda-free since 1966.

And so, I guess, here endeth the blog.

Thanks for reading, and commenting, and for your support and encouragement--especially in the stressful first days!

Thanks of course to the chefs, and the staffs, and the shops!

And so many thanks to the Vancouver forum members who endlessly enrich my dining and cooking, who so generously share their knowledge and good humour! and to eGullet, which has made such a difference in my day-to-day life!

Cheers! and let us know when you're visiting Vancouver, I know a few people who love to show strangers around, and who know a couple of good places to eat :wink:

:smile:

Agenda-free since 1966.

The fish course: I think this may have been our favourite overall: halibut served with minted fresh pee purée on a sliver of prosciutto, with a baby carrot, braised lettuce, and fresh morels in a truffled sauce. Ye gods, this was a beautiful dish.

Yee gads, I hope this is a typo and you mean "pea" :laugh::laugh:

Sorry, I just couldn't resist... I know you've been burning the candle at both ends this week in order to treat us to this exceptional view of your life....

Man, you Vancouver eGulleters sure do eat well! :wink:

Thanks for all your hard work!

"Anybody can make you enjoy the first bite of a dish, but only a real chef can make you enjoy the last.”

Francois Minot

The fish course: I think this may have been our favourite overall: halibut served with minted fresh pee purée on a sliver of prosciutto, with a baby carrot, braised lettuce, and fresh morels in a truffled sauce. Ye gods, this was a beautiful dish.

Yee gads, I hope this is a typo and you mean "pea" :laugh::laugh:

Sorry, I just couldn't resist... I know you've been burning the candle at both ends this week in order to treat us to this exceptional view of your life....

Man, you Vancouver eGulleters sure do eat well! :wink:

Thanks for all your hard work!

HA! how's that for embarassing!

Yes, please chalk that up to being awake for 19 hours straight today! :biggrin:

Agenda-free since 1966.

The dinner at Parkside was excellent. I'm not usually a tasting menu guy, but I'm glad I got talked into it this time. This was the 3rd or 4th time I've eaten there, and it's been consistantly great, both for food and service, every time. Fine ingredients, cleanly presented and perfectly prepared; no nonsense. I'm going to say the same thing I said last time I posted about Parkside: I wish I could cook like this.

And Deborah, thanks for the blog. It's been a good week. And I have serious stove envy!

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

You're not the only one with Stove envy! I am hoping to have Daddy A design my kitchen renovation...but I don't think that I can afford a behemoth like that!!!!!! What a beaut!

Nice blog Deb! We all know that a good time was had by all who ate. I enjoyed my small part.

Hope your roof/leak gets fixed soon!