• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: *Deborah* - Power, Convection and Lies

In honor of afternoon tea: (I'm sure you all could add some more verses.)

In the hot sun of late afternoon,

the Duchess of Bedford did swoon.

On gateaux and pies

of a miniature size

she did gorge, and her girth did balloon.

Indigestion turned painful and chronic

so her doctor prescribed gin and tonic,

but the butter and cream

fled her clotted bloodstream

with a deep irrigation colonic.

Here are some interesting historical notes about afternoon tea.

Thanks *Deborah*, for a chance to gorge on clotted cream and those lovely scones and preserves. So far they get my vote for best in the city, although I do miss the ones from Leslie Stowe at Tearoom T. Someone at the table actually dipped sugar cubes in the clotted cream and ate them! Wow, I thought my son was the only one I knew who would do that.

I was early, so I got to see a beautiful but faint Japanese bride being led into the garden with her dress undone at the back. It was almost Victorian. There was also a large party of the red hat society in one of the rooms, who were quite subdued in spite of their carnivalesque costumes.

And anyone who wants to bring a moveable feast of jumping prawns to our house is always welcome!

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

Okay, okay. I'll 'fess up. *Deborah* and Zucchini Mama had one scone a piece and consumed half a ramekin of clotted cream between them. I had one scone and demolished an entire ramekin of cream myself. :laugh:

I'll second Zuke's vote on the scones. We Vancouver eGulleters have waxed poetic about a number of high tea experiences on our "Sweets And The City" thread, but this one takes top marks in my books. I'm a sucker for egg-salad pinwheels, so it was those, the smoked salmon, the scones (with cream and jam, of course) and the mini lemon-strawberry tarts that made me swoon.

Moosh, I don't want to hijack *Deborah*'s thread, but would you please tell more about that torte?  I've never thought of combining lemon, almond and fig.  Now I'm obsessing over it, and I'm pining to try making it.  :wub:

The cassava cake was the only thing that came out of my oven; alas, I can only take credit for bringing the torte over to *Deborah*'s house. Junior Mouse had a playdate earlier that day, and his friend's Mom used us as guinea pigs for a dry run of the torte -- it was her first time baking it. I'll see if I can finagle the recipe out of her and PM it to you. She mentioned that the ingredient list called for olive oil, so I'm just as intrigued as you are, Smithy!

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Moosh, I don't want to hijack *Deborah*'s thread, but would you please tell more about that torte?  I've never thought of combining lemon, almond and fig.  Now I'm obsessing over it, and I'm pining to try making it.  :wub:

The cassava cake was the only thing that came out of my oven; alas, I can only take credit for bringing the torte over to *Deborah*'s house. Junior Mouse had a playdate earlier that day, and his friend's Mom used us as guinea pigs for a dry run of the torte -- it was her first time baking it. I'll see if I can finagle the recipe out of her and PM it to you. She mentioned that the ingredient list called for olive oil, so I'm just as intrigued as you are, Smithy!

I can tell you that it's tasty :biggrin:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

The meats were all purchased at HK BBQ Master - under the Superstore on No.3 Road - based upon recomemdations from Ling and a number of other eGulleteers.  You guys were right - probably the best Chinese BBQ around right now.  People were waiting in line for the meats.  Everything kept very well too - except of the roast belly which was insanely delicous when first chopped but did not hold as well. 

I'm glad you like that place too. My parents actually prefer Parker Place Meats, but I love the roast belly HK BBQ Master, personally. :smile:

The pancakes were really hard to find - but again on No.3 Road in the same mall as Hon's (right across actually) - there is a King Dim Sum that sells frozen stuff to take home. 

Sweet...great tip!

The meal last night reminded me of the Sunday dinners that most Chinese families in Vancouver throw together. 

Guess what I had for dinner last night...roast pork belly, roast duck (from Parker Place), rice, soup, watercress soup (also made with the extra pounds of seasoned, roast ribs my parents got from Parker Place), and steamed cuttlefish (my mom made that). :laugh:

Just wanted to chime in with thanks to Deb for dinner on Saturday night - beautifully done, the tag team of HK Dave and yourself covering the saucier duties (as well as everything else) was very impressive and appreciated. Plus the loin... loved the loin. And the tea smoked duck was also outstanding. Could go on and on, but it's all been said I think. (Though I must give final props to the dessert, certainly the 3 AM love was felt. Oh and the wines...)

Also a great looking impromptu dinner with Canucklehead. I have a large pot too, dude, prawns always welcome. Nice to have you back in town.

PS: Another Cliff Clayvon-ism about Queen Victoria - I understand she was the one who first brought haemophelia into the Windsor family.

Just wanted to chime in with thanks to Deb for dinner on Saturday night - beautifully done, the tag team of HK Dave and yourself covering the saucier duties (as well as everything else) was very impressive and appreciated.  Plus the loin... loved the loin.  And the tea smoked duck was also outstanding.  Could go on and on, but it's all been said I think.  (Though I must give final props to the dessert, certainly the 3 AM love was felt.  Oh and the wines...)

Also a great looking impromptu dinner with Canucklehead.  I have a large pot too, dude, prawns always welcome.  Nice to have you back in town.

PS: Another Cliff Clayvon-ism about Queen Victoria - I understand she was the one who first brought haemophelia into the Windsor family.

It was my pleasure. I'm glad you were able to come! I think I owe you and N. another dinner for all your construction help, too! :laugh:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Okay, someone refresh my memory:

Is there a difference between "prawns" and "shrimp"?

If so, what is it?

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Thanks, Viola! I always thought it was a size thing, I suppose; shrimp being smaller, prawns being larger.

Today began with the usual cleaning of the kitchen while the espresso machine warmed up, and my usual coffee:

gallery_28661_2918_12620.jpg

overcast yet again; today has had the gamut from spinkles to sunshine

I feel like Job: I got a migraine between parking the car and riding the elevator to my office. Ouch! this is a rare phenomenon for me. I tried to assuage it with a snack:

gallery_28661_2918_42020.jpg

But that didn't work. The torte is very tasty, though! I love figs. It had a beautiful crumbly texture, but not too dry.

I vacillated between staying at work with my eyes crossing and going home, and decided to see if lunch would help. I wandered down the street to visit Kolachy Keith:

gallery_28661_2918_73205.jpg

eG member ktbear

Today's Feature kolachy won me over: Shepherd's Pie, and the soup was the delicious-as-ever Corn Chowda:

gallery_28661_2918_33380.jpg

Well, my love of kolachies is no surprise to the Vancouver forum...I eat lunch there at least once a week, usually more often, since it's a block and a half from my office and I could live on their soup, even if they didn't have the kolachies!

Around 1:45 I gave in to the migraine and came home for a good nap, which has taken more than the edge off; I'm feeling almost 100%.

At this moment, my dinner plans are a mystery, as the restaurant I had intended to go to can't take us until 9:45 pm, a teeny bit late! I suppose that's what I get for waiting until day-of to make a reservation, although a rainy Tuesday night didn't seem like a huge risk to me...

My crack support team, Moosh and Canucklehead, went on to Plan B or C I think, while I buried my aching head under the covers. We'll see what they came up with!

Agenda-free since 1966.

Interesting about the prawns and the shrimp... Whenever we have gigantic shrimp labeled prawns available here in our stores (usually called colossol), it is also noted that they are from fresh water. The biggest local ones are usually 16 to 20 count.

Glad your migraine is better now, Deborah. You've been a trouper doing this blog, under your circumstances. It's been great. Where has the week gone? Time flies when you're having fun. There is one more day. After you finish up tomorrow night, local time for you, the blog will be left open for last minutes comments until Thursday afternoon. Thanks for blogging, and I wish you the best in your new kitchen.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

With a support team like Mooshmouse and Canucklehead, you don't need Maidenform!  I'd like to trade in my support team for yours, please.

Abra, we stand at the ready for your next foray into our neck of the woods! :wink:

You know, Db, I don't think that I'll be eating for at least a week after your foodblog ends. Holy crap, am I ever full. :blink:

While we wait for our fearless blogger to post photos from our evening meal, I'll provide some pictures of the dessert that wasn't from last night's spot prawn extravaganza.

Lo and behold, the second of two cassava cakes.

gallery_18820_1243_56557.jpg

gallery_18820_1243_37301.jpg

And a glamour shot of the Lemon Almond Fig Torte.

gallery_18820_1243_64769.jpg

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Interesting about the prawns and the shrimp...  Whenever we have gigantic shrimp labeled prawns available here in our stores (usually called colossol), it is also noted that they are from fresh water.  The biggest local ones are usually 16 to 20 count.

Glad your migraine is better now, Deborah.  You've been a trouper doing this blog, under your circumstances.  It's been great.  Where has the week gone?  Time flies when you're having fun.  There is one more day.  After you finish up tomorrow night, local time for you, the blog will be left open for last minutes comments until Thursday afternoon.  Thanks for blogging, and I wish you the best in your new kitchen.

Cheers, Susan :smile:

I wish the next blogger a smoother sail, though!

Agenda-free since 1966.

Interesting about the prawns and the shrimp...  Whenever we have gigantic shrimp labeled prawns available here in our stores (usually called colossol), it is also noted that they are from fresh water.  The biggest local ones are usually 16 to 20 count.

I counted about 30 for the two pounds that I bought - but that includes the head (which was full of briny suck-a-licous goodness) which would be at least half the weight. So the ones I bought would be about a regular 30 count - a decent but not colossal size.

Can one get gulf shrimp still jumping around or are they block frozen on the boats? I would really love to try a real seafood boil with fresh shrimp along the Gulf Coast.

Dinner tonight. Originally, I had intended to go to Hapa Izakaya, a fun restaurant where Moosh and I have had several fun girly dinners. Alas, they were too booked, so I cannot show you the Hello Kitty cocktail I would have ordered.

However, there is more than one izakaya game in this town, so I am able to show you a little bit of what they are about.

Plan B was Kitanoya Guu, where I have gone three or four times now. It's a casual restaurant, patronized by all kinds of people, including lots of the Asian ESL students we have in Vancouver. The staff shouts a greeting when you arrive, and shouts thanks when you leave. Kitanoya Guu is in Gastown, the historic area of Vancouver where the town first sprang up on the waterfront. There are cobblestone and brick sidewalks, heritage-style street lamps, and some of the few examples of late 19th Century/early 20th Century architecture that are still standing in our fair city.

gallery_28661_2918_102211.jpg

Our party consisted of Moosh and Canucklehead, eGulleter Irishgirl and her husband, and her sister. Moosh and I ordered some cocktails to start:

gallery_28661_2918_55258.jpg

My Turquoise Jump and Moosh's Milky Mango . Both of these feature calpis.

OK, it's no Hello Kitty, but it's pretty good.

gallery_28661_2918_7724.jpg

They started bringing out food pretty quickly.

Edamame:

gallery_28661_2918_25440.jpg

Beef Tataki:

gallery_28661_2918_47101.jpg

Pork Jowls:

gallery_28661_2918_58829.jpg

Seared Tuna:

gallery_28661_2918_43198.jpg

Scallops on Toast:

gallery_28661_2918_63143.jpg

Chicken Karaage:

gallery_28661_2918_7686.jpg

Salmon and His Seven Friends:

gallery_28661_2918_86292.jpg

The seven friends include scallions, pickled radish, egg, deep-fried garlic, and natto

gallery_28661_2918_82521.jpg

Okonomake:

gallery_28661_2918_36763.jpg

Beef Skewer:

gallery_28661_2918_74004.jpg

Udon:

gallery_28661_2918_86231.jpg

Ebi Bacon Mayo:

gallery_28661_2918_38516.jpg

Spinach and Sesame:

gallery_28661_2918_58001.jpg

It was all pretty darn good! Standouts were the Chicken Karaage and the Ebi-Bacon Mayo. I also love their okonomake.

We decided to change it up a little for dessert, and headed to another eGulleter's restaurant:

gallery_28661_2918_62641.jpg

Chef nwyles was there, doing his best Ernest Borgnine impression :wink: We were lucky enough to find Chef with a few minutes to spare us, and he sat and shot the breeze with us while we renewed our acquaintance with the (justly) famous Gingerbread Pudding.

gallery_28661_2918_44434.jpg

Gingerbread pudding, warm caramel sauce, pumpkin ice cream, ginger ice cream. Heaven on a plate.

The company and conversation were great! thanks for coming with! :smile:

Edited by *Deborah* (log)

Agenda-free since 1966.

As *Deborah* mentioned, Hapa Izakaya was our first choice, but Kitanoya Guu with Otokomae is the izakaya restaurant at which it's easiest to make reservations for a large group.

The staff shouts a greeting when you arrive...

Irashimasai!
Moosh and I ordered some cocktails to start:

gallery_28661_2918_55258.jpg

My Turquoise Jump and Moosh's Milky Mango . Both of these feature calpis.

It was a Milky Guava: Calpico, guava juice and either vodka or rum... I can't remember which. And those are curaçao-spiked ice cubes that you see "jumping" in *Deborah*'s drink, hence the name of the cocktail.
Pork Jowls:

gallery_28661_2918_58829.jpg

Referred to as Ton-Toro on Kitanoya Guu's menu.
Scallops on Toast:

gallery_28661_2918_63143.jpg

Garlic butter hotate, heavy on the garlic and served with mushrooms.
Chicken Karaage:

gallery_28661_2918_7686.jpg

Deb, did you take a photo of the Halibut Cheek Karaage? That's the only dish that seems to be missing.
Salmon and His Seven Friends:

gallery_28661_2918_86292.jpg

The seven friends include scallions, pickled radish, egg, deep-fried garlic, and natto

gallery_28661_2918_82521.jpg

Two kinds of oshinko and some crispy fried wonton chips thrown in there for good measure.
Okonomake:

gallery_28661_2918_36763.jpg

I liked Irishgirl's reference to okonomiyaki as resembling Japanese French toast. :smile:

Joie Alvaro Kent

Deborah, I'm loving your blog like a $2 whore (<--gratuitious Gilmore Girls reference).

It's beautiful and making me want to come to Vancouver, when firstborn goes for his marine bio stuff this summer. What great friends you have; were you friends before eG?

the "shout out" when you come in the front door of the restaurant is so cool!

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

Moosh: I do seem to have missed the Halibut Cheeks, somehow. :rolleyes: And oops, I wondered if I was missing a syllable in okonomiyake! :laugh: sumimasen!

Fabby: Oddly, no, we were not friends before eG. Moosh and I joke that if we were of opposite genders (and if she weren't married!), we'd be engaged. :wub: We've been best friends for about a year now, I guess.

:laugh: I do have non-eG friends, as well! but it seemed logical to socialize with this group this week.

Today it is overcast yet again, and heavy rain is forecast. Not quite the beautiful day I'd hoped for to close out my blog. :sad:

I have the usual workday before me, and I haven't yet decided what I will get for lunch. I'm not taking any chances with tonight's dinner: I made the reservation more than a week ago. I can't say too much without giving it away as I'm a known fan of this restaurant, but I'm really looking forward to it, as I haven't been there in a couple of months!

Well, maybe I should give it away! You can study the menu today, as I will.

Tonight we'll return to Vancouver's West End and dine at Parkside.

Agenda-free since 1966.