• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: *Deborah* - Power, Convection and Lies

Mmm, here's today's coffee (nice crema! basically a double allongé or Americano, with milk and sugar. Please don't hurt me :wink:). You can see the blue and fluffy-clouded sky reflected in the countertop: another beautiful day ahead.

gallery_28661_2918_22343.jpg

And here is *Ziggy Palffy*. He is a Manx, hence the great size, funny tail, and long, long hind legs. Not his best angle!

gallery_28661_2918_16282.jpg

Edited by *Deborah* (log)

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

And here is *Ziggy Palffy*. He is a Manx, hece the great size, funny tail, and long, long hind legs. Not his best angle!

gallery_28661_2918_16282.jpg

Ooooh, and a sweetie he is! I MISS having a kitty or two, but in the condo it's a no-no, and since I'm on the ground floor by the pool, anything on my window sills is obvious to passers-by. :sad:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

judiu, I hope I will have an opportunity to take a better shot of him, he is really a handsome beast.

I sympathize with you in your cat-less-ness. The few periods of my life when I have been unable to have cats have been quite unhappy times. There's just nothing like a gentle paw on the face and very loud purr to wake you up at 5:00 am...MUMMY, I WANT MY BREAKFAST NOW! :hmmm:

Agenda-free since 1966.

*Deborah* and friends....

Great blog, and even better kitty pics! I do envy you Vancouver eGulleters - you seem to have such a close-knit community...

Kitchen looks totally "rad", Enzo is too cool, plans for the rest of the week have me hooked.

I would like to know more about your household - kids, partners, pets - you know, the personal stuff...

And Mouse - please make sure to get a pic of Deb - it's a ton of fun to see our bloggers real identity!

"Anybody can make you enjoy the first bite of a dish, but only a real chef can make you enjoy the last.”

Francois Minot

Deborah:

The kitchen, the range, the scooter - all look great. You have made the transition from Yaletown to Eastside effortlessly (or made it look that way, anyway).

I look forward to pictures of the weekend dinner party.

Cheers,

Anne

And here is my trusty Enzo, ready to transport me and my purchases onward:

gallery_28661_2918_80189.jpg

OMG. You are living my fantasy - an Italian scooter, an orange kitchen...like a modern-day, Canadian Audrey Hepburn. All you need is a young Gregory Peck to hop on board.

I LOVE it.

That cup of coffee looks particularly tasty, as well. :biggrin:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Your kitchen is funky-gorgeous! How much input did Daddy-A have in it? And the sink....ahhhhhh!!! I tried to show the Wolf to spouse last night...he covered his eyes, refusing to look, even though I mentionned the red knobs. I waaaaaannnnt one! (but it won't happen...)*sigh*

*Deborah* and friends....

Great blog, and even better kitty pics!  I do envy you Vancouver eGulleters - you seem to have such a close-knit community...

Kitchen looks totally "rad", Enzo is too cool, plans for the rest of the week have me hooked.

I would like to know more about your household - kids, partners, pets - you know, the personal stuff...

And Mouse - please make sure to get a pic of Deb - it's a ton of fun to see our bloggers real identity!

It has been said that we're pretty clubby, the Vancouver eGulleters... :wink:

My personal life...well, I'm a single girl these days, never married, no kids. Still looking for a nice boy to help with the mise and wash the dishes afterwards :wink:

Happily I have some good friends who will help (or lend a spouse to help) build the IKEA and so forth!

Deborah:

The kitchen, the range, the scooter - all look great.  You have made the transition from Yaletown to Eastside effortlessly (or made it look that way, anyway). 

I look forward to pictures of the weekend dinner party.

Thanks, Ann. :smile: I don't know about effortless; friends and coworkers can attest that I've been one cranky evil girl these past months :rolleyes:

OMG.  You are living my fantasy - an Italian scooter, an orange kitchen...like a modern-day, Canadian Audrey Hepburn.  All you need is a young Gregory Peck to hop on board.

I LOVE it.

That cup of coffee looks particularly tasty, as well. :biggrin:

Dude, I'd even take an old Gregory Peck. If only I were as beautiful as Audrey! :wub:

Your kitchen is funky-gorgeous!  How much input did Daddy-A have in it?  And the sink....ahhhhhh!!!  I tried to show the Wolf to spouse last night...he covered his eyes, refusing to look, even though I mentionned the red knobs.  I waaaaaannnnt one! (but it won't happen...)*sigh*

The colours are definitely me, and the cabinetry style. Daddy-A advised on stuff like hardware and so forth, and the layout design is all his. Oddities like the huge sink and faucet are all my own strange self! :raz:

Agenda-free since 1966.

And here is my trusty Enzo, ready to transport me and my purchases onward:

gallery_28661_2918_80189.jpg

I was at Tinseltown a couple of weeks ago (I think?) to see Brick, and I swear I saw your scooter! I even remember looking at it & thinking, "How cute!" It made me pine for Greece. :sad:

I like Osaka (previously known as Yaohan) better than T&T. Although Osaka & T&T are now owned by the same people, Osaka just seems cleaner to me. Plus they seem to have more Japanese snacks (my favourite aisle!! :wub: ) Warning: stay away from the prepared foods at the Chinatown location of T&T (it apparently is the dirtiest location out of the 4 (?) we have here in the Lower Mainland). The prepared foods at Osaka are quite good though - nice selection of Northern & Southern Chinese hot & cold dishes.

Edited by chocomoo (log)

I was at Tinseltown a couple of weeks ago (I think?) to see Brick, and I swear I saw your scooter!  I even remember looking at it & thinking, "How cute!"  It made me pine for Greece.  :sad:

I like Osaka (previously known as Yaohan) better than T&T.  Although Osaka & T&T are now owned by the same people, Osaka just seems cleaner to me.  Plus they seem to have more Japanese snacks (my favourite aisle!!  :wub: )  Warning: stay away from the prepared foods at the Chinatown location of T&T (it apparently is the dirtiest location out of the 4 (?) we have here in the Lower Mainland).  The prepared foods at Osaka are quite good though - nice selection of Northern & Southern Chinese hot & cold dishes.

I will have to try Osaka!

Oh, don't tell me horrors about the hot food, I've eaten lunch from there many times...:shock: it's not very good though, so I have to be on a real grease quest to eat it!

Agenda-free since 1966.

...my very first pay cheque, I took my little girl to the White Spot...not a gourmet restaurant but my budget and she liked their pirate packs. To this day, she talk about those memories and still likes to go to the White Spot for special events not because of the food but because of the pleasant memories it evokes.

I have many fond memories of the Pirate Pak as well! at the drive-in at Park Royal :cool:

(am I remembering correctly? or is/was there only an A&W drive-in there?)

Agenda-free since 1966.

I have many fond memories of the Pirate Pak as well! at the drive-in at Park Royal :cool:

(am I remembering correctly? or is/was there only an A&W drive-in there?)

Your memory is correct, there's a White Spot at Park Royal.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

Here are my T&T purchases, minus the duck, which is in the fridge defrosting:

gallery_28661_2918_30870.jpg

Dried aniseed, coarse salt, fish sauce, sesame oil, black sesame Pocky, coconut milk (on sale for $0.69 a can!) and some loose tea

Nice job. As we all know Ti Kuan Yin is the undisputed King of Teas.

I think that's the same faucet we have - it's a Grohe, right? And black sesame Pocky. I'm normally not much for Pocky, but black sesame is one of my favorite flavors, so I'll have to see if we have some here.

Arne, I think your luau needs cassava cake. Moosh has the recipe. I have all the stuff to make said recipe, but haven't yet had the right audience. Actually, I liked it so much at Josephine's that I could have gotten into a bathtub by myself with a whole cake, never mind the audience. Perhaps not a bathtub in the middle of the living room, however.

I think that's the same faucet we have - it's a Grohe, right?  And black sesame Pocky.  I'm normally not much for Pocky, but black sesame is one of my favorite flavors, so I'll have to see if we have some here.

Arne, I think your luau needs cassava cake.  Moosh has the recipe.  I have all the stuff to make said recipe, but haven't yet had the right audience.  Actually, I liked it so much at Josephine's that I could have gotten into a bathtub by myself with a whole cake, never mind the audience.  Perhaps not a bathtub in the middle of the living room, however.

Actually, the faucet is a Kohler, Abra. I spent my tax refund on the faucet and sink!

I believe the plumber is coming today. Unfortunately, eGulleters' various ideas for displays and such in the living room won't have a chance to happen!

I have a similar reaction to cassava cake :biggrin:

Agenda-free since 1966.

I think that's the same faucet we have - it's a Grohe, right?  And black sesame Pocky.  I'm normally not much for Pocky, but black sesame is one of my favorite flavors, so I'll have to see if we have some here.

Arne, I think your luau needs cassava cake.  Moosh has the recipe.  I have all the stuff to make said recipe, but haven't yet had the right audience.  Actually, I liked it so much at Josephine's that I could have gotten into a bathtub by myself with a whole cake, never mind the audience.  Perhaps not a bathtub in the middle of the living room, however.

Oooh- I love the Cassava cake at Josephines. Not 100% convinced on the Halo Halo however. :smile:

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

Great minds think alike, Abra. I purchased the ingredients today and am all set to bake cassava cake on Sunday morning! :biggrin:

Oooh- I love the Cassava cake at Josephines. Not 100% convinced on the Halo Halo however.  :smile:

Ann, that's because you haven't tried Halo Halo with all the right stuff in it. Contrary to popular belief, beans are not a prerequisite and can easily be subsituted for goodies that are far more tasty.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Ann, that's because you haven't tried Halo Halo with all the right stuff in it.  Contrary to popular belief, beans are not a prerequisite and can easily be subsituted for goodies that are far more tasty.

Whooh! I have to say it was the beans that got me. Also, the jello was a little... chewy. I would love to try another version. :biggrin:

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

Half-day at work today!

It's Friday, so we had the obligatory Timmy's in the office today. I had a few meager Timbits:

gallery_28661_2918_12925.jpg

Then I stopped at T & T again, and picked up a few more things...I'm not showing everything as I don't want to give away tomorrow's menu entirely!

gallery_28661_2918_55856.jpg

sriracha, ponzu, shrimp crackers, white pepper, mango cakes, kumquats and ginger, and some lunch for me

This is my lunch (eating as I type):

gallery_28661_2918_33051.jpg

a lovely, fluffy and fresh char siu bao, and a red bean in glutinous rice ball with sesame thing.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Zuke, one must wonder then about your coconut bras.

Yep, I have heard the sound of the coconut shells clapping. I have a coconut bra and a purse to match and I'll let you borrow the ensemble for Sunday if you post the pics!!! Funny about the whole luau theme. Vintage tiki tiki is really hot right now. I have some vintage cups, shirts, and dresses of that ilk I have collected over the years. They cost a fortune at the second hand shops! What a tiki tiki party is, is usually Canuckified "tropical island cuisine" with plenty of blender drinks and patio lights. My Kiwi friend and I always argue over the pronunciation-she says tiki, I say teekee. In fact, I wore my brightly colored tiki tiki shirt today and got lots of comments because it's so wonderfully silly!

In university years, I went to a Chinese retaurant in Sherbrooke Quebec that served wild cocktails in ceramic bowls with volcanoes in the middle. They have them for sale this year at a little kitschy store in Chinatown in Vancouver!!! Somehow these ones are not as dramatic as the ones I remember, but they're still a lot of fun. Lots of Canadians used to go to Hawaii in the summer for vacations, so I think we have a soft spot for those souvenirs from the 50's and 60's. I remember my grandma brought back little bottles, each containing sand from a different beach, and we have a photo of her in a leisure suit when she's about seventy, with a handsome Hawaiian hunk by her side. I have only ever been there in my blender-drink-fueled imagination.

Edited by Zucchini Mama (log)

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

I love to see Pocky in blogs! :biggrin:

I think of you when I see a whack of Pocky! :biggrin:

hey, what flavor are those black and silver Pocky? Hmmn, can I T n T before they close tonight? Have you tried them yet?

S

your stove is making me drool - but I am getting my new dishwasher installed as I type - so I'm trying to be calm.

I love to see Pocky in blogs! :biggrin:

I think of you when I see a whack of Pocky! :biggrin:

hey, what flavor are those black and silver Pocky? Hmmn, can I T n T before they close tonight? Have you tried them yet?

S

your stove is making me drool - but I am getting my new dishwasher installed as I type - so I'm trying to be calm.

Black Sesame! of course they're good! I'm not sure how late the downtown one is open. I think the one on 1st Ave is open till 9:00.

A new dishwasher to go with your new fridge, eh? sounds like you're having a sweet little reno too!

Blog note: due to either some strange wizardry or perhaps the contractor turning off the wrong breaker switch when putting a dimmer on the dining room fixture, my G4 is having some dreadful hiccups getting restarted after an improper shutdown...so I may be stuck with my laptop :shock: prepare for typos! :unsure:

Edited by *Deborah* (log)

Agenda-free since 1966.

From Amazon.com: I thought there were more exotic ingredients in there!

"Product Description

A healthy trend has been on the rise for a few years in China, Japan and Korean. The common feature among popular foods is "black color." This new pocky contains 5 of the most popular black natural food ingredients on Asian market!

Ingredients

wheat flour, sugar, palm oil, black sesame seed, black rice, black soy beans, black pine nut, black quince, lactose, whole milk powder, shortening, skim milk powder, malt extract, salt, yeast, butter, lecithin, baking powder, flavor ..."

What the heck's a black quince?

Edited by Zucchini Mama (log)

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West