• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Green Mountain Coffee Soda

Beanie

Green Mountain Coffee Roasters just introduced a new beverage called "Double Bean Elixir" organic coffee soda. I saw it at a beverage trade show yesterday in Albany, NY. There are five varieties: Original, Vanilla, Almond, Hazelnut, and Mocha. Ingredients: sparkling filtered water, Fair Trade Certified Green Mountain organic coffee, organic evaporated cane juice, natural flavor.

I tried the Original, Hazelnut and Vanilla. I really liked the Original and Hazelnut, even though I generally dislike flavored coffees. They were light and sparkling, not overpowering, with a distinct coffee taste. I did not like Vanilla because it overpowered the coffee flavor.

I don't have information on pricing yet. Has anybody tried these? I'd be interested in other opinions. My only other comment is that I really don't care much about "organic" or "Fair Trade" ingredients in soda and think this is just a marketing ploy.

Edited to say I meant to post this in the soft drink forum. Host may want to move it.

Edited by Beanie (log)

Ilene

I just read this tiny blurb:

Green Mountain’s Double Bean Elixir falls in a happy place on the good-for-you continuum… it gets its flavor not from cola, but from Fair Trade Certified, organic coffee. It’s gently carbonated with sparkling filtered water. And, it’s sweetened with organic evaporated cane juice… not some funky, overprocessed sweetener that you can’t pronounce.  It’s been in development for nearly two years.
source

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"