• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Old Dutch buys Humpty Dumpty

Marlene

Article here

KITCHENER, ON, May 17 /CNW/ - Humpty Dumpty Snack Foods Inc. (TSX:SNX)

(the "Company"), a leading North American marketer and distributor of high-

quality snack food products, today announced that HD Snax. Ltd. ("HD Snax"), a

wholly-owned subsidiary of Old Dutch Foods Ltd. ("Old Dutch"), has agreed to

take up and pay for all common shares of the Company ("Common Shares")

tendered to the offer (the "Offer") by HD Snax to acquire 100 per cent of the

Common Shares at $2.85 per share.

Old Dutch is my favourite potato chip ever. I wonder if this means the Ontario market will soon see a return of Old Dutch chips to our grocery shelves?

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Woo hoo! I would dearly love that. Of course, I just ordered off the Old Dutch website.....they kill you on shipping though. Are they packing the potato chips in steel boxes or what??!!??

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

I admit I have a craving for chips, two or three times a year. Don't know Old Dutch.

What I do is slice a large Russet in a manual slicer, very thinly, and fry in duck fat. toss in coarse salt... MMMM!

I admit I have a craving for chips, two or three times a year.  Don't know Old Dutch.

What I do is slice a large Russet in a manual slicer, very thinly, and fry in duck fat.  toss in coarse salt...  MMMM!

Mmmm, one of my favourites too. I often do a yam or sweet potato as well for a change.

no no people. Old Dutch isn't about gourmet fried in duck fat sweet potato chips. That's a whole other thread.

It's about salt and vinegar chips that make your mouth pucker and ketchup chips that stain your fingers red.

I grew up with them ... there were never Lay's or any other chips for that matter. Never went to a childhood birthday party that didn't have boxes of the chips.

We had boxes of them here when I was a kid too. I can't wait for my order!!! My mother used to hide a box of the plain up at the cottage and eat them with chip dip after we were in bed. I can't wait to see if they still taste the same as I remember.

• 1 month later...

I remember the boxes of Old Dutch from living out west as a kid. I know they were available as far east as Thunder Bay, but don't think they are generally available in Ontario.

Actually brought back a couple bags from a trip to Vancouver this spring, just for "supplies". It really threw me because I was looking for boxes and it took me a while to find them sitting in front of me in (gasp) bags.

I must say the gourmet homemade ones sound pretty damned good, but can't disagree that it's just a different beast. If you do want to make your own tho, do give taro a try as well. Terra makes a good manufactured brand, but better your own of course.

When I was a kid in Nova Scotia, the local brand was Scottie's. They came in the old-school little paper-foil bags, back then. They were bought up by Hostess back in the early 70's, and they never seemed the same to me after that.

Now, of course, I'm living in Edmonton and I can get Old Dutch everywhere. I like that new salt & pepper flavour. It's pretty good.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I'd love to have access to a salt and vinegar chip that doesn't pander to the lowest common denominator theory of tastebuds (ie: dumbed down for everyone's palette), so if their's makes the face pucker, I hope they make it to Ontario. Someone should forward the thread to the company so they know of the demand.

I was driving around looking for a supplier in an industrial park here, and I passed a HUGE Old Dutch building. I don't know if they're still in business there... we could print the topic off and pop it in their mailbox :wink:

I'm not 100% sure - I don't often buy potato chips, but I think you can still buy them in the box. I need to go to Superstore tomorrow, so I'll try to remember to take a look. I may need to buy a couple of small bags at Mac's or Sev, just to taste them and see if they're still puckerlicious.

You can still buy them in the box. At least that's how they came when I ordered them from their website!

Marlene

I agree - the salt and pepper flavour is surprisingly good.

Also agree that this is not a frequent purchase - which makes it even more important that I enjoy them when they come! :)

I was searching around a bit on Google and one company that ships them says that they can be frozen for 6-8 months and come out crisp & fresh as new. Seems there would be little moisture in them, so no reason not to believe them.

Not in a box, but:

gallery_25849_641_155853.jpg

Still make my mouth pucker. Turns out you can't buy them at 7-11 - but Mac's carries them. I also saw them everywhere I went in North Dakota/Nothern Minnesota this weekend - Old Dutch that is, but not salt and vinegar.

I used to eat boxes and boxes of those back wen I was living in the Peg. I wish we could get them in Montreal though we're lukcy to hace Cape Cod chips, the dark Russet ones are amazing. I also really enjoy Miss Vickie's lime and pepper chips.

Cant say I have ever had Old Dutch...

I must inform you all of a relatively new find. Picked up some presidents choice kettle style chips...chili and lime flavour, and one other flavour which escapes me at the moment...YUM! On par with my current fav of Miss Vickies Jalapeno

• 8 months later...

A blurb in the local paper yesterday informs us that Old Dutch will be available in Ontario, Quebec and the Atlantic provinces. It doesn't say when you'll be seeing them in your local stores - but keep your eyes open.

I recently had cause to exchange some emails with Old Dutch. They have stopped their online ordering for Canada and have no plans to start it again. As for Ontario, right now, they are only starting with Thunder Bay, although they tell me to expect Humpty Dumpty to start tasting more like Old Dutch!

Marlene

I recently had cause to exchange some emails with Old Dutch. They have stopped their online ordering for Canada and have no plans to start it again.  As for Ontario, right now, they are only starting with Thunder Bay, although they tell me to expect Humpty Dumpty to start tasting more like Old Dutch!

I arrived home this evening to find a PR gift box full of Old Dutch bags. Let's see...there's Dutch Crunch chipotle and lime kettle cooked chips, Dutch Crunch Mesquite BBQ kettle cooked chips, Arriba Buffalo Wings tortilla chips (mixed feelings about that one), and Dutch Crunch jalapeno and cheddar kettle cooked chips. No normal chips, which is what I'd really like to try, but I guess what I'm trying to say is, this marks the launch of a new Old Dutch campaign: After being available only west of Thunder Bay for 53 long years, Ontario, Quebec and Eastern Canada will soon have Dutch dreams of their own. There. I think I've earned my gift bag. Heh.

Oh very cool.

It would be nice to see them start showing up here again. This is the email that I received from them

Thank you for the e-mail.  Online ordering will no longer be available.

Management made an executive decision to cease this service.

Old Dutch Foods does not currently have distribution in Eastern Canada with

the exception of Thunder Bay.  Please watch for some of our products coming

your way in the next couple of weeks.  We now own Humpty Dumpty Potato Chips

as well so you will be finding that brand tasting more and more like an Old

Dutch product.  Thank you again for taking the time to e-mail us.

Marlene

I believe that the chips have been available west of and including Thunder Bay. This expansion will bring Old Dutch from Coast to Coast (to Coast?).

ETA: :laugh: I guess they stopped the online ordering since they won't need it once they're available everywhere?

I believe that the chips have been available west of and including Thunder Bay.  This expansion will bring Old Dutch from Coast to Coast (to Coast?).

ETA:  :laugh: I guess they stopped the online ordering since they won't need it once they're available everywhere?

Give me a minute to wipe the grease from my fingers and open up the information folder ...(I've already started in on the chipotle lime; disturbingly delicious). Okay, the press release is dated March 26, 2007 and it says they're launching their Crunch brand of kettle cooked chips, Restaurante and Arriba brand tortilla chips throughout Ontario, Quebec and Eastern Canada starting THIS MONTH. So, I guess this means any day now. But the release also notes: "For the time being, Westerners can take heart that not everything Old Dutch that is sacred to them will be shared with everyone else. Some Dutch favourites, including the famous Old Dutch twin-pack box, will still only be available in Western Canada."

Now, I don't know what this whole twin-pack thing is all about, and why a box of chips is so sacred that they won't share it with the rest of us. But suddenly I want one real bad.

Growing up out west, Old Dutch was the norm. It was strange when I moved out east to find that it was Humpty's. I never grew up with Ringolos (I remember the shocked looks on my classmates faces and how they seemed to pity me. One girl even ran out to the vending machine and bought me a bag during the break! :laugh: ) . Anyway, since then I've always craved the more puckering power of the Old Dutch Salt 'n Vinegar, ketchup and their version of All Dressed (it's the brand I first experienced this flavour with). However, my favourite (and one that left me with sweet breath during my junior high years) has always been Garlic & Onion! :wub: That flavour is salty, sweet, totally delicious and completely addictive. You just have to make sure you eat it alone or around people who like you enough to stick around after you finish the bag(s)/box.

Give me a minute to wipe the grease from my fingers and open up the information folder ...(I've already started in on the chipotle lime; disturbingly delicious). Okay, the press release is dated March 26, 2007 and it says they're launching their Crunch brand of kettle cooked chips, Restaurante and Arriba brand tortilla chips throughout Ontario, Quebec and Eastern Canada starting THIS MONTH. So, I guess this means any day now. But the release also notes: "For the time being, Westerners can take heart that not everything Old Dutch that is sacred to them will be shared with everyone else. Some Dutch favourites, including the famous Old Dutch twin-pack box, will still only be available in Western Canada."

Now, I don't know what this whole twin-pack thing is all about, and why a box of chips is so sacred that they won't share it with the rest of us. But suddenly I want one real bad.

Amy,

Instead of jumbo chip bags, you can buy thin cardboard boxes (think the size of jumbo cereal boxes) of Old Dutch chips. When you open the box, you'd find two oblong bags (like the plastic bags that hold cereal but not as wide) of chips. So it's like two medium sized bags of chips contained in one box. That way, at parties, or when opening up a bag for home consumption, you kind of have a) portion control; b) less worry about not finishing up a large bag of chips before it all goes stale (because, really, you've only opened half the package). Was that too much info? :wacko: