• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Table Hopping With Rosie 5/17

Rosie

Passionne sounds promising. Here's the menu. Looks quite similar to Epernay's.

hopefully the service at Passione will be better than Epernay. I always found the service at Epernay so bad that it ruined the whole experience even though the food was very good.

Passione's menu does sound enticing. However, except for the fact that they're both French, the menus don't seem particularly similar to me.

As for the service at Epernay, I've heard complaints about it, but we've never had any problems whatsoever. I don't know if that was because we became known to Courtney, Mark and the service staff, or that we always dined mid-week and early before things got very busy.

• 1 month later...

We went a couple of nights ago. The service and pacing were terrific (I mention this because the Star-Ledger critic had a problem with both), but the food was uninspiring. A very heavy menu for summer, for starters--it was difficult to find anything that suited that hot evening. I had the white asparagus soup with morels and a special, diver scallops with a curry sauce and vegetable couscous. My husband had the duck entree (sorry, spotty memory on the preparation here). The soup was pleasant, but mostly an upscale cream of mushroom; no asparagus flavor in evidence to me. Ditto the scallops--they were exactly what you'd expect them to be, well prepared but fairly uninteresting. My husband's duck was terrific, though. We normally order at least one dessert, but we were quite full, and, like the rest of the menu, the desserts sounded just dull and almost retro-French: profiteroles, maybe creme brulee, a chocolate tart.