• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Golf Tourament Menu

So I have been asked again to do the sides for my work's annual golf tournament for the staff and faculty. I have done this the past two years and we have approximately 100 people sign up.

The main entree is Grilled Steaks, which someone else takes care of, so I am only responsible for doing the sides. For last year's menu, I did a Curried Coleslaw with Green Onions and Dried Cranberries, Caesar Salad, Baked Potatoes with all the fixings (green onions, bacon and sour cream), Fresh Rolls (purchased), Tossed Salad with a couple different dressings and a pasta salad. I went with the items that we find on a typical menu for a golf tournament BBQ but tried to "spice" things up. For example, the coleslaw and pasta salads we typically find done by local catering companies are usually mayo based with not much else added.

Anyways, I am working on the menu for this year and would like to change it up a bit so I am looking to you all for ideas and inspiration. Keep in mind that I am going to be making this on my own with a bit of help from my mother. Also, I will need to make items that can be made in advance with little or no last minute prep as I am also going to be golfing and will have about an hour to get all the items prepped and put out on the table.

A truly destitute man is not one without riches, but the poor wretch who has never partaken of lobster. - anonymous

How about adding in a cold noodle salad flavoured with sesame and cilantro ("Asian noodle salad")? Vietnamese beef salad? Thai noodle salad using rice vermicelli?

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

How about a salad of fresh mozarella balls with tomato, sweet onion, and fresh basil with balsamic viniagrette?

You get the added benefit that it will kind of look like a big bowl of golf balls.

Great idea - bocconcini golf balls! And maybe you could add "tees" (carrots? bell pepper?). And divot repair tools made of what? I can't think of anything naturally occurring that bears any resemblance to one but I'll work on it. :biggrin:

One of my favorite summer sides is a salad made of just about anything with some grilled raddichio and romaine as a base, tossed with a simple vinaigrette. There is just something about grilling the two that really makes them special.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

How about a salad of fresh mozarella balls with tomato, sweet onion, and fresh basil with balsamic viniagrette?

You get the added benefit that it will kind of look like a big bowl of golf balls.

Great idea - bocconcini golf balls! And maybe you could add "tees" (carrots? bell pepper?). And divot repair tools made of what? I can't think of anything naturally occurring that bears any resemblance to one but I'll work on it. :biggrin:

Building on this idea, you could imprint them with cheesecloth for texture!

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

How about adding in a cold noodle salad flavoured with sesame and cilantro ("Asian noodle salad")? Vietnamese beef salad? Thai noodle salad using rice vermicelli?

I was actually considering doing some kind of asian noodle salad instead of the usual pasta salad. I've made a couple of different ones in past. I picked up some thai basil and kaffir lime leaves when I was down in Vancouver recently as those items are not available where I live so maybe I'll try to find a recipe for using them up. How long will the basil and leaves keep for? Can I freeze them?

A truly destitute man is not one without riches, but the poor wretch who has never partaken of lobster. - anonymous

Building on this idea, you could imprint them with cheesecloth for texture!

What great ideas! I think that I'll play with this one over the next few weeks and see how it looks.

How long will the basil and leaves keep for? Can I freeze them?

Thai basil usually starts going brown and wilts after a few days. It goes a lot quicker than regular basil. Rather than trying to freeze Thai basil directly, I usually make a large batch of Thai curry with the basil, then freeze the curry.

Kaffir lime leaves freeze perfectly well. I always keep some in the freezer and take out as needed. Roll the leaves up lengthwise and chop into the thinnest chiffonade you can.

Edited by sanrensho (log)
Baker of "impaired" cakes...

You can prepare the ingrediants for a Greek salad in advance, I did that for Mother's Day and put everything in plastic containers with lids.

Seedless cuke (cut into large dice/chunks); tomato cut into wedges; red onion sliced very thin; green pepper sliced thin; Kalamata olives; feta. Simple dressing made with lemon juice, S&P, oregano, olive oil.

As a fellow golfer, I know I like salty things after playing!

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

You can prepare the ingrediants for a Greek salad in advance, I did that for Mother's Day and put everything in plastic containers with lids.

Seedless cuke (cut into large dice/chunks); tomato cut into wedges; red onion sliced very thin; green pepper sliced thin; Kalamata olives; feta. Simple dressing made with lemon juice, S&P, oregano, olive oil.

As a fellow golfer, I know I like salty things after playing!

You've read my mind! I've come up with a menu and Greek Salad was on there, along with a Thai Pasta Salad, Caesar Salad, Curried Coleslaw with Green Onions and Dried Cranberries, Tossed Garden Greens with a couple of different dressings, Fresh Vegetable Crudite with Dip and Baked Potatoes with the usual fixings (butter, sour cream, crumbled bacon and green onions).

I am also thinking about doing up some fresh salsa and putting that on the tables with some nacho chips to munch on while they wait for their meal and the other golfers to finish.

Thanks for the ideas and if anyone has any other ideas, keep em' coming. I've got a few weeks until the event and my menu isn't set in stone....

• 4 weeks later...

One thing that has always been a hit at work for me is a Dilled Shrimp and Crab Salad. Mayonaise, Sour Cream, 41-60 Count Shrimp, Crab Meat, Fresh Dill, S and P, a little lemon juice, Finely Diced English Cucumbers, and a little Dry Mustard for a little kick.

One thing that has always been a hit at work for me is a Dilled Shrimp and Crab Salad.  Mayonaise, Sour Cream, 41-60 Count Shrimp, Crab Meat, Fresh Dill, S and P, a little lemon juice, Finely Diced English Cucumbers, and a little Dry Mustard for a little kick.

i heart eGullet for the spirit of co-operation. that salad that Nashvegas just mentioned would be great in little endive leaves for portability.

also, if you feel like it you could sub some shredded fennel bulb for the cabbage in the cole slaw or the celery in the crab salad... :smile:

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen