• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Milltown

bandregg

Milltown is the latest bar/restaurant venture by a number of principles of the Federal in Durham and the owners of Yep Rock Records in Carrboro. It's located in the old Temple Ball space in Carrboro across from the Cat's Cradle. This is a note I posted about it at Chowhound in response to someone asking about it.

My wife and I ate there on openning night to show some support for friends who are involved. Service was fine for opening night, food was slow, too slow for even opening night, like Chef Billy lost some help right before opening or something, but it seems that's been remedied. Susie and I shared and order of Poutine (5$, all frites Poutine, Belgian, and English Curry are 5$) which I loved. I haven't had Poutine in its home setting so I can't say if it's right or not, but it was deliciously bad for us. The chicken sandwich (8$) was to die for. I never thought I'd say that about a grilled chicken breast, but through on some pear, gorgonzola, arugula, mayo, and hit it with a panini press and it was amazingly good. We also tried the ribs (14$) with their super double secret sauce and were pleasantly surprised. That's to say they were some of the best restaurant ribs around here, which actually isn't saying much, but they were certainly edible. The chicken sandwich came with either frites or a small side salad. The ribs came with a cinnamon stick apple sauce with whole slices of stewed apples, very good, and a baked potato, which was weird. I like potatoes, I like baked potatoes, but this was just a big ass whole baked potato with a small slit in the top: no butter, no chives, no decoration, no nothing. It just seemed odd to me. The beer menu was a sight to behold and the prices were definitely fair (5$-8$ average for a pint or a bottle).

It's a pretty hip place and on opening night the Carrboro elite were out, but it's not the kind of place were that should bother anyone except those who worry about their place in society. There is a communal style food service bar parallel with the real bar which offers a nice chance to have dinner and maybe meet the people sitting next to you. It can be a little loud if that bothers you; there are a lot of hard surfaces inside.

Best of all, the inside is NON-SMOKING! Oh, to have the inside of the Fed. be non-smoking, the joy. I really enjoyed it and we'll be going back. It's too bad it's such a drive from downtown Durham.

Bryan C. Andregg

"Give us an old, black man singing the blues and some beer. I'll provide the BBQ."

I don't mind sharing, really. I think that Milltown could become a great place to drop by after work or to grab a quick beer and bite at with friends. In other words, it could be a great little neighborhood place that you really want to go to. And, driving twenty minutes removes that aspect of it for me. I'll still go there to eat, see friends for whom it is a neighborhood place, and support my friends.

Bryan C. Andregg

"Give us an old, black man singing the blues and some beer. I'll provide the BBQ."

Hi, did you happen to notice if they have any vegetarian entrees? I am going up there with a friend who is a vegetarian this weekend for dinner, and this sounds like a good place to try out and in my price range.

Thanks.

-----------------

AMUSE ME

• 3 weeks later...

Ate at Milltown for lunch today. It was pretty good. My roommate had the burger- nice and juicy, medium rare- and I had the fish tacos, they were tasty but could have used more spice.

Also, we drank beer.

Quite a beer selection they got going on over there.

As for veggie options, they have a risotto and a lasagna for entrees, as well as salads, frites and bruschetta for other snacks.

Decent enough, I might go back, I think Carrboro might be ready for a hangout other than the Spotted Dog, Tyler's or the OCSC.

Love the concept of the "Carrboro elite," btw. Are those the ones whose Volvos are pre-1985? :raz:

Don't kid yourself, Carrboro has more than just hippies. The Saturday market is full of people wearing Patagonia fleece and drinking lattes. :)

Bryan C. Andregg