• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Disposable Pastry Bags - Do you like?

I won't go back to the nylon bags for anything. Waiting for them to dry... having the old ones crack .... making sure they're clean.... no, I don't miss that at all.

I've used Hygo, and Thermohauser and both are fine. There's another brand, KeeSeal that seems to be very good too. I use the 12" and 18" sizes. Sometimes I get lucky with production so that I can start with plain buttercream, then go on to lemon, then raspberry - this way I use one bag and get three uses from it, which is especially helpful if you're only filling a small cake.

Love the disposable bags working with chocolate, use them to pipe all my centres and for decorating. I would not go back to nylon. Who has time to clean them. For what I do I just cut the tip to size, but if I have used a piping tip I just cut the end off when I'm done.

I use my vacuum sealer to heat seal the wide end to keep the contents in, and after I use part of a bag to pipe centres I just heat seal the tip. I keep all my centres in the disposable bags in the fridge until needed.

I buy mine in bags of 100 from Qzina, they come in 2 sizes, and are a nice weight and feel in your hand. I have tried other brands but some are stiff and don't pipe nicely.

I only use disposables. At work, it's just pipe and toss. At home, depending on what I've piped, I may wash the bag for another use or two. If it's buttercream -- toss, too greasy. If it's meringue -- easy to clean, so I reuse.

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

Just wondering who uses DISPOSABLE PASTRY BAGS and is sanitation and  convenience of cleaning the reason?

You still have to initialy trim the bag to fit the tip and dig out the tip when finished so is it a big time saver for you???

Trimming the bag and pushing out the tip takes me about 1/20 the time it would take me to turn a nylon bag inside out and wash it. The only time I still use my nylon bags is if I have to pipe out something very stiff or viscous and I suspect the plastic bag might burst.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Wow I'm suprised, people really like disposable piping bags? For me I like the fact that you don't have to clean them afterwards and they're much more hygienic but I find the ones we get at work are hard to get a good grip on and occasionally burst.

i second kee-seal...they are great. they have a very small seam so that doesn't get in the way even when you're piping something with a very small hole. it isn't very eco-friendly, but i don't think i'll ever use anything else.

When they first came out, and I squeezed on it they made tumors & blobs pop out the sides rather than push the icing out the tip--they morphed into mutants--they had weak spots I guess and would morph or burst, the icing went yonder instead of where I wanted it to go.

So I've stuck with parchment. Love parchment.

I'll tell yah the hugest pain in the arse ever. Is working for someone who insists on WASHING THE DISPOSABLE (%$#@&) BAGS.

oh

my

gaw-d

edited to say--I've almost ruined my morning just thinking about it. eaghh

Edited by K8memphis (log)

I love them also. They are so easy. The only time I use the other kind is when I am making something like duchess potatos or piping the dough for cream puffs.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Well I guess everyone else likes them but me......  :blink:

You missed my post then, Sugarella. I guess I didn't say it out right but no I don't like them. I use parchment. After all the washing of (so-called) disposable bags and other traumatic instances I went through on a previous job, it would not be hard for me to say I hate them. grr

I like parchment because it conducts heat less than the disposable ones I've tried and because I can make them any size I want.

So that's two of us at least. Just say no to slippery nasty blankety blank plastic.

For me disposable bags are the only way to go. As in the previous posts my fav. brand is Kee-Seal. I no longer have to wash the bag & wait for them to dry. I will never go back to poly. bags.

i have to say, i've been trying to stay away from the disposables. yes, it's more convenient, but i have serious guilt issues with anything disposable. i try to recycle as much as possible. go ahead, call me a tree-hugger.

dexygus

i have to say, i've been trying to stay away from the disposables.  yes, it's more convenient, but i have serious guilt issues with anything disposable.  i try to recycle as much as possible.  go ahead, call me a tree-hugger.

Tree hugger! :raz:

Don't forget you also have to consider the energy and water used when cleaning a reusable bag. Consumption-wise, it may indeed be a wash (no pun intended). The parchment cones would be a good alternative in this instance, IMO.

For me, the time, energy and amount of water to clean a nylon bag are too much. I like both the plastic bags and parchment depending on the application. Parchment is surely more cost effective. If the icing I'm using isn't too thick I'll use a large Ziploc with the corner cut out. About 1/3 the cost of the disposable Ateco bags which is all I can get around here.

i have to say, i've been trying to stay away from the disposables.  yes, it's more convenient, but i have serious guilt issues with anything disposable.  i try to recycle as much as possible.  go ahead, call me a tree-hugger.

i have to agree...i feel guilty...but as darcie b writes, the amount of water, soap and time that you use to clean out reusable pastry bags has to factor in there somewhere. i wash out ziploc bags at home all the time and every time i do it, i ask myself if it is worth it?!

there are so many things to think about as a tree-hugger... :wink: