• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burnet BBQ

Jason Perlow

There are 3 locations of this place, but my understanding is the original is the best one. Rachel and I recently had dinner there and we were quite happy, not to mention sated from the very generous portions of which half we ended up taking home.

The restaurant is known for its Portuguese-style rotisserie chicken and ribs, which is spatchcocked and cooked over an open flame.

I recorded a small video of this in case anyone is interested:

Burnet BBQ Rotisserie video (Off The Broiler)

gallery_2_4_71470.jpg

Storefront

gallery_2_4_9136.jpg

Rotisserie

gallery_2_4_41852.jpg

A jumbo plate of Garlic Shrimp.

gallery_2_4_5494.jpg

Large order of Garlic Chicken. Also enough for two people to share.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

was the chicken as good as it looks?

I had the garlic chicken, which I believe is deep fried with the skin on (no breading) and then it is hit with the garlic/vinegar sauce. It was very good.

I've had the roasted chicken (frango) on previous visits and yes, it's very good.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

was the chicken as good as it looks?

I had the garlic chicken, which I believe is deep fried with the skin on (no breading) and then it is hit with the garlic/vinegar sauce. It was very good.

I've had the roasted chicken (frango) on previous visits and yes, it's very good.

I live within smelling distance of the Stuyvesant Ave location. I love the garlic chicken, and it's pretty hard to beat the combination of quality/quantity/price. Based on your photos, I may have to try the shrimp next time.

I live within smelling distance of the Stuyvesant Ave location.

Me too - great stuff. Some nights the whole of Union smells of BBQ...

Daniel, they use Cowboy lump charcoal.

While I more often go to Stuyvesant, I agree that the original

Burnet Ave location may be a bit better. My potuguese friends

tell me that the firebox is not as deep there, so the rotisserie

is closer to the fire.

• 5 weeks later...

Got to this place over the weekend; all in all it was disappointing. HUGE, huge portions of mediocre food, is the verdict. BBQ Chicken and ribs were very dry. Pork sandwich bread was not bad, but the pork was also dry. Shrimp are small and tasteless. Fries are the garden variety frozen type. Actually, the plain boiled veggies were the most refreshing things-- fresh and plain. Carrots, boiled potatoes, and cabbage.

If you favor quantity over quality, this place is OK. Otherwise, a disappointment.

Edited by menton1 (log)

Which location? I think it's pretty obvious I completely disagree with your assessment.