• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Old standbys

Besalu for breakfast snacks (but I always want them on mondays & tuesdays :angry: )

Mayuri - total comfort food for me.

Gorditos - we've been going since they opened & the owners are sweethearts

Mandalay Cafe (most entertaining wine list?)

Kabul

Chili pepper for the purple ancho chili rellenos :wub:

When we're feeling really flush we go to LeGourmand

Oh and yes, we go to exRositas/Luisa's if it's really hot out because it's nearby & it's got AC :blush:

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

Lunch:

Baguette Box

Salumi

Matt's

Dinner (proximity seems to be key here):

Marjorie

Jai Thai - close cheap takeout

Mistral (I hang in the kitchen and they feed me :smile: I can't afford it otherwise!)

I noticed we added some catagories :biggrin:

Brunch:

Cafe Campagne - those Oeufs en Meurette! My God!

Macrina - If I can stand the wait

Cyclops - If I can't

Late night:

The hot dog stand on Western and Bell with cream cheese, pico de gallo, and sriracha - Did I really just admit that?! :shock:

Le Pichet

Flying Fish

Late night:

The hot dog stand on Western and Bell with cream cheese, pico de gallo, and sriracha - Did I really just admit that?!  :shock:

Le Pichet

Flying Fish

Cream cheese on a hot dog? :blink: Is that an American thing?

And I thought you're a pretentious f*cker who turns up his nose at the mention of Flying Fish! :laugh:

I haven't been in Seattle enough to have a stand-by restaurant yet, but if I lived down there, I could see myself eating pastries at Cafe Besalu in the mornings, hitting Salumi for lunch, TJ's for their dirt cheap Valrhona bars for a mid-day snack(although now I know they used to be even cheaper!!!), and ZigZag's (or littlemissfoodie's house :wink: ) for Happy Hour.

LOL!

Cream cheese on a hot dog is apparently just a Seattle thing...  A great article on the subject ran last year in The Stranger: Heavy Metal Hot Dog.

I, personally, do NOT get it  :wink:  but everyone else around here seems too.

I've had a blue million dogs at that stand and didn't even know they were available with cream cheese.

I guess that's what I get for ordering a dog at 2:00 am with a gut full of booze.

LOL!

Cream cheese on a hot dog is apparently just a Seattle thing...  A great article on the subject ran last year in The Stranger: Heavy Metal Hot Dog.

I, personally, do NOT get it  :wink:  but everyone else around here seems too.

I've had a blue million dogs at that stand and didn't even know they were available with cream cheese.

I guess that's what I get for ordering a dog at 2:00 am with a gut full of booze.

The Cream Cheese Hot Dog Combination was original to Seattle thru one very special unique individual named, "Hadley Long" who now lives in Idaho.

Hadley began serving "Bagel Dogs" on 1st Avenue outside the Bagel Express next door to the J & M in Pioneer Square during the late 1970's outside from a cart Friday and Saturday nights from 10:00 PM until the bars closed. They were so popular that it wasn't unusual to sell several thousand during a busy weekend.

He offered "Polish Sausages" and "Kosher Hot Dogs" on a Bagel made in the shape of a Hot Dog Bun with a smear of Cream Cheese.

Previously before starting his Bagel Dog business "Hadley" introduced another business then special to Seattle as the first operator of a "Espresso Cart" licensed by the city of Seattle.

He custom built his own Espresso Cart and shortly began selling them to others and everyone in Seattle is aware of the results.

The Hot Dogs are still being sold without cream cheese on a regular bun in the same location by the Mediterranean Mix after 10:00 PM weekends.

The "Bagel Express" was also one of Seattle's original Bagel places featuring Bagels, Espresso, Veggie Dishes and as many as 10 different soups daily for lunch.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.