• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tempura--Cook-Off 22

Chris Amirault

Off-topic:

As I said in the last post here, I had the okonomiyaki-like thing for lunch today. I cut it into four equal parts, and I asked my children if they wanted to have it. They said yes.

Just as I imagined, it tasted great.

gallery_16375_5796_61219.jpg

Topped with beni shoga, ao nori, bonito flakes, and yakisoba sauce. My dauther also added mayo and ketchup to her portion.

We are going to have tendon (tempura donburi) with the leftover tempura for supper tonight.

• 4 weeks later...

Like I said in the Japan Forum, my son is into wild herbs these days. He said he wanted to gather some hahako gusa and have it as tempura. (He also said he wanted to make kusa mochi, using hahako gusa, but this is another story.)

This is hahako gusa, also known as gogyo, which is one of the seven herbs of spring (haru no nana kusa in Japanese):

gallery_16375_5796_40542.jpg

My son also gathered some yomogi (mugwort):

gallery_16375_5796_123977.jpg

And, I got some udo from a relative:

gallery_16375_5796_111072.jpg

For information on udo, click here.

For information on hahako gusa, click here.

Hahako gusa tempura'ed:

gallery_16375_5796_1421.jpg

Yomogi tempura'ed:

gallery_16375_5796_94811.jpg

Udo tempura'ed:

gallery_16375_5796_5830.jpg

Finally, I made sweet potato tempura:

gallery_16375_5796_90179.jpg

No kaki-age or shrimp tempura this time.

I liked the udo tempura the best, followed by yomogi tempura. Hahako gusa tempura was OK, but was a little stringy.

I hadn't thought of using udo for tempura...now I know what to do with the udo tops after I use the young stems!

I posted a photo of the three dishes that I made for supper tonight here.

Are you talking about cultered, white udo? I have never bought culured, white ones.

• 2 weeks later...
Can tempura be shallow fried?

Edit: Gosh, that okonomiyaki-like tempura looks GOOD! I'm inspired!

I'd say 5 cm (little less than 2 inches) is a minimum depth. I did a quick google search and found that at leat two other people said so.

I'd say 5 cm (little less than 2 inches) is a minimum depth. I did a quick google search and found that at leat two other people said so.

I made tempura for supper last night, with about 3-cm deep oil. I didn't want to add additional, new oil because the oil in the can was more than one month old (used for deep-frying two or three times). I did manage to make decent tempura, but I still think that 5 cm is a minimum depth. Another important thing to remember is to filter and store the oil soon after you have finished termpura'ing, while the oil is still hot, to prevent deterioration.

I made tempura for supper last night, with about 3-cm deep oil. I didn't want to add additional, new oil because the oil in the can was more than one month old (used for deep-frying two or three times). I did manage to make decent tempura, but I still think that 5 cm is a minimum depth. Another important thing to remember is to filter and store the oil soon after you have finished termpura'ing, while the oil is still hot, to prevent deterioration.

Thanks for your much appreciated help Hiroyuki! 5 cm it is!

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

• 6 months later...

Hiroyuki--

I am deeply grateful for your tutorial and recipe--I made tempura tonight and it was successful--the first time ever I've fried something and it wasn't greasy!

I used all veggies--sweet potato, asparagus, onion and eggplant.

I only had some green tea noodles--but the smokiness was very tasty after the tempura.

Thank you so much! I love tempura, but fried food makes me sick, usually--I think this time I will be fine!

I can't wait to make this again, for company.

Zoe

I was in Tokyo recently and had tempura in two Tokyo restaurants. These photos give you more ideas of how tempura is served in Japan and can serve as a model for making your own tempura.

gallery_44755_6321_51808.jpg

Vegetable and shrimp tempura from Yamazato Restaurant in the Hotel Okura …

gallery_44755_6321_10548.jpg

Okura tempura....rear view

gallery_44755_6321_80249.jpg

A fried flounder

gallery_44755_6321_120604.jpg

Vegetable and shrimp tempura from Fukusushi in the Roppongi district…

gallery_44755_6321_72469.jpg

Close-up...

gallery_44755_6321_9817.jpg

Soft-shelled crab...

"Yo, I want one of those!"