• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

chocolate strawberry cake ideas?

pissaladiere

My soon to be 4 year old daughter has requested a chocolate strawberry cake for her birthday. She would like it to have "pink" icing and chocolate covered strawberries on top. It will need to serve around 20 people. I was thinking of making the America's test kitchen sour cream chocolate cake, but need ideas for the filling and icing. I'm looking for something delicious but not too rich. My kids don't mind a nice bittersweet ganache, but I'm not sure the rest of the kids present will appreciate it. I'm hoping that our delicious local strawberries will be beginning to ripen by then (It is at the end of this month) Any inspiration or ideas?

How about your chocolate cake, with a layer of ganache that has some strawberry puree added into it, like this thread fruit puree in chocolate talks about, and then covering the cake with a pink tinted buttercream? That, with the chocolate dipped strawberries will look dynamite!

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

My first thought was, strawberries taste awesome dipped in chocolate mousse! So, my thought would be something like a Frasier, I think it's called. A 9" cake split in two. First layer down, probably inside a ring (springform would work). A layer of chocolate mousse, strawberries standing on end (stem end down). They usually put strawberries cut in half around the outside. Then fill up the gaps with more chocolate mousse. Put top layer of cake on and press down a bit. Chill. Then you could do one of two things. My understanding is a traditional Frasier would simply have a layer of buttercream on top and leave the sides exposed or, you could cover the whole thing in a chocolate glaze. Either way I think it would be scrumptious. My husband doesn't like fruit and chocolate but when local strawberries are ready I think I'll give this a try anyways.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

A bakery near me does a chocolate strawberry shortcake...the usual suspect just chocolate cakes

white chocolate ganache filling is sooooooooo good...even the the one I messed up, melted, and fixed.

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Thanks for all the ideas. I'm leaning towards filling it with a mixture of strawberries and cream and topping with the pink tinted buttercream and strawberries. It is hard to go wrong with chocolate and fresh strawberries.

The ganache mixed with fresh strawberries sounds delicious too. Maybe I'll do three layers of cake. If I make a large oblong cake, what is the best and easiest way to split it into layer. I am a little clumsy at that sort of thing?

Andrea

I'm leaning towards filling it with a mixture of strawberries and cream and topping with the pink tinted buttercream and strawberries.

You can fold 1/4 - 1/3 cup of strawberry puree into about 4 cups of buttercream for a lovely, pale pink, strawberry frosting. If the pink is too pale, you could bump it up with some food coloring.

Thanks for all the ideas.  I'm leaning towards filling it with a mixture of strawberries and cream and topping with the pink tinted buttercream and strawberries.  It is hard to go wrong with chocolate and fresh strawberries. 

The ganache mixed with fresh strawberries sounds delicious too.  Maybe I'll do three layers of cake.  If I make a large oblong cake, what is the best  and easiest way to split it into layer. I am a little clumsy at that sort of thing?

Andrea

Have a cake board handy. Can be a cardboard, a large flat (no rims) cookie sheet, anything flat and sturdy to hold the cake. You'll need one for each layer you wish to torte off.

Determine the number of layers you are going to split it in and then run the large serrated knife through at the appropriate point, but don't remove the cake layer. Once cut, insert the knife into the cut and lift slightly - just enough to begin sliding the cardboard or tray in. Continue moving the knife through the cut and following the with the board. The object is to get the board into the cut fully. Once all of the top layer is on the board, just lift it away. Repeat for any other layers.

Cheryl, The Sweet Side