• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

gourmet diner food

jbarone2000

Well, there are a few ... namely: Gourmet Diner in North Miami Beach which serves French cuisine such as beef Burgundy, trout almondine, frogs' legs Provencal, chateaubriand, pommes frites and other hearty French fare. All of which are hardly classic "diner cuisine" ...

and then there is the Buckhead Diner in Atlanta which serves some very elegant dishes: homemade potato chips with warm Maytag bleu cheese, calamari, mile high Banana Cream Pie, veal meatloaf ... a very upscale and popular destination!

A warm eGullet welcome to you, jbarone2000! :wink:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

and then there is the Buckhead Diner in Atlanta which serves some very elegant dishes: homemade potato chips with warm Maytag bleu cheese, calamari, mile high Banana Cream Pie, veal meatloaf ... a very upscale and popular destination!

Buckhead Diner -- very recommended. My little brother is a chef in Atlanta and used to work at the Buckhead Bread Co., across from the Buckhead Diner. He knew the head chef there and had lots of respect for him. The fried chicken there is marinated in raspberry vinegar and is the best fried chicken I've ever had.

<a href='http://www.zenkimchi.com/FoodJournal' target='_blank'>ZenKimchi Korean Food Journal</a> - The longest running Korean food blog

Thanks for all the suggestions. But I'm looking for actual authentic diners -- not those that appear to be diners but are not, like the Buckhead which I've visited -- that have revamped their

menu to be much more than traditional fare.

I'll check out some of the other suggestions, though.

If you're in the greater Baltimore area, there are 7 locations of the Double T Diner.

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1385609

Not sure I'd say gourmet, but the places are big with extensive menus beyond regular diner fare. And huge selections of baked goods. I've never had anything bad at the Annapolis location.

Holly eats review:

http://www.hollyeats.com/DoubleT.htm

sample menu:

http://www.marylandrestaurants.com/Menu1/doublet.html

Admittedly it has been a loooooong time since I staggered into the Double-T after a long night of underaged (and aged -- 18 for beee back then) drinking, but I'm betting that it is still not a gourmet destination.

Best Double-T moment: the night after the last day of high school, 8 best buds singing "You Picked a Fine Time to Leave Me Lucille" anthem-like along with the jukebox.

Second Best: Being threatened by an alleged "Vietnam Vet" for getting sassy with him. (no, the two incidents were not related).

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

O'Rourke's in Middletown, CT - since 1946.

Good point! I grew up there and had forgotton about them! It is a real diner too. Besides their more ambitious offerings they are famous for the regional (that part of CT) steamed burgers!

This may or may not fit all your criteria, but Zia Diner in Santa Fe also has more upscale offerings. I haven't been there in awhile. Zia Diner

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

SaltShaker - Casting a little flavor (and a few aspersions) on the world of food, drink, and life

Casa SaltShaker - Restaurant de Puertas Cerradas

Spanish-English-Spanish Food & Wine Dictionary - a must for any traveler!

Salt, great link! Love the pics and blurbs on 11th Ave history.

I don't have any specific recs but I will say that Astoria, Queens is famous for some of the best Greek Diners. Many pride themselves on inhouse baked goods and various greek specialities. I imagine it would be pretty easy to Google a best of......gluck!

That wasn't chicken

If you get this far northeast, you must get to the A1 Diner in Gardiner Maine. Real diner food with better than usual respect.

Here is a review from Splendid Table on Minnesota Public Radio

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

this may fit your criteria:

i was listening to the food network special on diners(hey, i do live in jersey where they are thick on the ground - 2 in my town alone) while entering hawk data and they mentioned The Modern in Pawticket, RI which seems to be really upscale on the weekends with up to 35 specials on the weekends only. during the week it is regular diner food...

tim russert is interviewing tom brokaw - gotta go. hope this helps

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites