• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fruit Purée in Chocolates

sote23

one recipe i have is to heat puree then temper into whisked yolks with sugar and cook again until thick, pour this over chocolate to melt and create ganache, add liqueur to boost flavor if necessary (i.e. if you use raspberry puree, add framboise).

I use several different purees in truffles. I add it after I stir in either the cream or butter. I would put it in before an liquors if you use them.

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

sounds intersting, will have to give that a shot.

one recipe i have is to heat puree then temper into whisked yolks with sugar and cook again until thick, pour this over chocolate to melt and create ganache, add liqueur to boost flavor if necessary (i.e. if you use raspberry puree, add framboise).

according to my swiss confiseur book, if you use purees, you should substitute the cream for yolks and change the process slightly to maintain the consistency of the ganache. the puree has added water so you omit the cream which has water and replace it with egg yolk which is mostly fat. but i'm not too sure on all that. it does produce a great ganache which i use to fill molded chocolates.

is it a 1 for 1 substution? for example if the recipe calls for 6 ounces heavy cream, do i use 6 ounces of egg yolk?

i need to get one of those books.

according to my swiss confiseur book, if you use purees, you should substitute the cream for yolks and change the process slightly to maintain the consistency of the ganache.  the puree has added water so you omit the cream which has water and replace it with egg yolk which is mostly fat.  but i'm not too sure on all that.  it does produce a great ganache which i use to fill molded chocolates.

anyone have any other good recipces? any suggestions on flavors? i was looking at passionfruit or mango etc.

I make a mixture of 118 degree fondant, butter and melted white chocolate. I add the fruit puree, then boost the flavour with some freeze dried fruit and a small amount of compound flavouring. I add a bit of citric acid, some lemon vodka an a tiny bit of lemon juice, I use the food processor to insure smoothness.

I use much the same recipe for raspberry, black current, strawberry rhubarb, grapefruit.

This makes a centre that is very true to the fruit, however it is only suitable for molded chocolates and you have to watch out for leakage if you mold in white and it is too thin in areas.

• Like 1

I discontinued using yolk based ganaches years ago, and opted for a more linear approach, here is a formula that I developed based on a platform that I think may address some questions from above. there will be another thread entitled “ the creative process” that is a subset of the “flow” series, here is how it works:

Have yourself “a lil idy bit O fun out there”:

First start with a basic Ganache:

Scope it out…

Develop a blend and make certain there is a synergistic relationship to all flavor profiles with the mix:

Boil:

200 gr. Heavy cream

25 gr. Invert sugar

20 gr. Lemon grass tea

In a separate container create a “Mash” this is essentially a liquid “slurry”

180 gr. Vodka (Absolute Citron)

20 gr. Pink Peppercorn

15 gr. Black peppercorns

20 gr. Juniper berries

Heat this mixture and allow to infuse the flavors, your pulling off the “Mash”, straining it, once the flavors have matured.

Add the drained liquid from above “Mash” to Cream mixture:

Add:

650 gr. Milk Chocolate

200 gr. Lemon puree (jarred “perfect choice”) avail. From Sysco

80 gr. Crystallized ginger pieces

And lastly:

50 gr. Softened butter

This formula produces exceptional results, Happy-Happy-Joy-Joy!

Open your creativity to be receptive to inspiration from most everywhere, even Cuisine, although a hamburger chocolate is out of the question, a platform based on a Béchamel sauce wouldn’t be for example, wow, I just thought of that, hmmmm…..

Michael :wink:

P.S. Tiny pic is now offering vid uploads, stay tuned... AIRWOLF will be right back...after station identification...

Edited by dejaq (log)

Dejaq's link corrected above.....erm.... I see MTV video awards...... :laugh:

Sorry baby, Iwas testing something, whoops C daisy, I hate these keys on this Dell,

it works though, your going to luv what I have coming your way, why you're just simply going to Luv it...Hang on to your garter belts

M

Edited by dejaq (log)

Hang on to your garter belts

M

....I know those magazines depict all us girl pastry chefs wearing garter belts in the kitchen, but.... psst! It ain't true! :hmmm:

It's just an expression...please don't get upset...like hang on to your hat...

Edited by dejaq (log)

M

....I know those magazines depict all us girl pastry chefs wearing garter belts in the kitchen, but.... psst! It ain't true! :hmmm:

Actually, I think the phrase originated amongst fans of The Rocky Horror Picture Show, so it isn't at ALL sexist! :laugh:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

wow, that sounds great.

I discontinued using yolk based ganaches years ago, and opted for a more linear approach, here is a formula that I developed based on a platform that I think may address some questions from above. there will be another thread entitled “ the creative process” that is a subset of the “flow” series, here is how it works:

Have yourself “a lil idy bit O fun out there”:

First start with a basic Ganache:

Scope it out…

Develop a blend and make certain there is a synergistic relationship to all flavor profiles with the mix:

Boil:

200      gr. Heavy cream

25 gr. Invert sugar

20      gr. Lemon grass tea

In a separate container create a “Mash” this is essentially a liquid “slurry”

180 gr. Vodka (Absolute Citron)

20  gr. Pink Peppercorn

15  gr. Black peppercorns

20  gr. Juniper berries

Heat this mixture and allow to infuse the flavors, your pulling off the “Mash”, straining it, once the flavors have matured.

Add the drained liquid from above “Mash” to Cream mixture:

Add:

650 gr. Milk Chocolate

200 gr. Lemon puree (jarred “perfect choice”) avail. From Sysco

80  gr. Crystallized ginger pieces

And lastly:

50    gr. Softened butter

This formula produces exceptional results, Happy-Happy-Joy-Joy!

Open your creativity to be receptive to inspiration from most everywhere, even Cuisine, although a hamburger chocolate is out of the question, a platform based on a Béchamel sauce wouldn’t  be for example, wow, I just thought of that, hmmmm…..

Michael  :wink:

P.S. Tiny pic is now offering vid uploads, stay tuned... AIRWOLF will be right back...after station identification...

M

Actually, I think the phrase originated amongst fans of The Rocky Horror Picture Show, so it isn't at ALL sexist! :laugh:

thanks for the snippet, perhaps I think it was just a misinterpretation, you know wars in the midde East are started the same way... miscommunication is the "Mother" of all evils, and also if I call anyone "baby", it's not Ausin Powers that I got it from,it predates to a flick called it's a Mad Mad Mad World, way back in the day, I also call men "babe" as in Ok Babe,that's also an expression, no offense what so ever given or taken, I take my work very seriously, but if you all get to know me, as you will (right around the corner) your going to find I am an affiable bloke, good natured, with not an ounce of Ill will, I simply have too much on the Poker Table to loose to be base and rude.

P.S. I am also now on MySpace,go check it out, it's a precurser to something beyond even my wildest imaginations, and that pilot project is a precurser to an even bigger project, stay tuned, and please be patient during our "construction dust".

or better yet, hold your horses...hang on to your socks, stop the bus, stop the madness, you get the idea...

Michael

Edited by dejaq (log)

Sherry Yard has a recipe for raspberry ganache (this ganache is piped onto a chocolate financier on the cover of her book) that uses only butter and puree -- no cream or eggs. 8oz bittersweet chocolate is melted with 2oz butter. This is cooled to 100F, and then 1/2C strained raspberry puree is stirred in. Use at 70F.

Herme has a passion fruit ganache that calls for juice, but I assume puree could be used. 1/3C cream is brought to boil, and poured over 5 3/4oz Noir Gastronomie (or bittersweet of your choice). After this is incorporated, 1/3C boiling passionfruit juice is incorporated. After this is incorporated, add 3T room temp unsalted butter. Chill until firm enough to use.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

I use the Boiron purees in my ganaches for rolled truffles, but find there's too much water in them 'as is' so I reduce them by half by heating gently first. I've used the raspberry, passionfruit, and mango (separately), and have some mandarin but haven't used it as yet. So far I've liked them all, a lot.

Sherry Yard has a recipe for raspberry ganache (this ganache is piped onto a chocolate financier on the cover of her book) that uses only butter and puree -- no cream or eggs. 8oz bittersweet chocolate is melted with 2oz butter. This is cooled to 100F, and then 1/2C strained raspberry puree is stirred in. Use at 70F.

Herme has a passion fruit ganache that calls for juice, but I assume puree could be used. 1/3C cream is brought to boil, and poured over 5 3/4oz Noir Gastronomie (or bittersweet of your choice). After this is incorporated, 1/3C boiling passionfruit juice is incorporated. After this is incorporated, add 3T room temp unsalted butter. Chill until firm enough to use.

if i were to use the juice, does it specify how much?

I use the Boiron purees in my ganaches for rolled truffles, but find there's too much water in them 'as is' so I reduce them by half by heating gently first.  I've used the raspberry, passionfruit, and mango (separately), and have some mandarin but haven't used it as yet.  So far I've liked them all, a lot.

how long do you have to heat to reduce them?

Jean-Pierre Wybauw's book has a couple of ganache recipes that use purees and the general technique seems to be:

boil the puree and sugar together

bring the cream to a boil

blend the puree and the cream together

pour over chopped chocolate to melt

(if using) add invert sugar

add butter

incorporate thoroughly mixing in as little air as possible

proceed as you normally would

HTH,

:Clay

Clay Gordon

president, pureorigin

editor/publisher www.chocophile.com

founder, New World Chocolate Society

You mean the passionfruit recipe? The recipe calls for 1/3C juice.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

I have used a passion fruit puree instead of fresh juice; I substitute 1/2 cup puree for 1 cup juice. It also depends on how intense you want the flavor. This substitution gives a good flavor but not too overpowering.

Mark

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

You mean the passionfruit recipe? The recipe calls for 1/3C juice.

yes, for the passionfruit recipe. 1/3 cup, i will give it a shot over the weekend.