• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Visiting Australia

The husband and I are taking our first trip to Australia in August. We'll be spending our trip mainly visiting parks, zoos and sanctuaries. So, we need food suggestions that work well with what we have planned. I don't think we'll have a lot of time enjoying the more refined dining experiences this time around. I'm thinking that we'll most likely get food on the go or eat at quick, casual restaurants. Also, we will most likely be using public transportation, so we don't want to spend a lot of time traveling to particular restaurant but would rather eat closed by where we'll be.

Here are the places we plan to visit:

Melbourne - Little River Earth Sanctuary, Healesville Sanctuary, Werribee Open Range Zoo, Melbourne Zoo

Adelaide - Kangaroo Island (Penneshaw), Wombat Rise, Warrawong

Brisbane - Tangalooma, Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary, Dreamworld, Australian Zoo

Though we're open to all cuisines, we would love to have what we can't get at home. Any regional cuisines you can recommend are wanted! I especially love some suggestions on where to get great meat pies. :wub:

Other than at Tangalooma and Kangaroo Island, we haven't decided where to stay yet, in terms of hotel, part of town, etc. So any suggestions on that as well as transportation are welcome! (Please PM me those)

Thanks! :rolleyes::raz::laugh:

Due to the distances involved between the places you're planning to visit in and around Melbourne, hiring a car might just be the way to go. You'll get used to driving on the correct side of the road soon enough!

Healesville has an eco-touristo cafe type thing but I've heard it's of no significant culinary value. If you wander around the Yarra Valley, there are vineyards and restaurants associated therewith galore. Healesville and the Yarra Valley are like, side by side. Think of it as crossing the bridge to get to Marin.

Werribee is a culinary dead zone in my opinion. But there is something charming about a pub or roadhouse doing honest steak and chips (fries to you I guess).

Melbourne Zoo... now that's going to be interesting. You'll be able to indulge in a variety of proto-Australian deep fried snacks such as the legendary CHIKO ROLL, dim sims (steamed and fried) and the sometimes dubious according to some on these threads meat pies. I can strongly recommend the concession stand at the elephant enclosure.

And in terms of accommodation, you should stay somewhere in the city. Striking distance to all major and minor attractions, and take a look at the pinned thread in this forum for restaurant and food issues related to Melbourne. What's your budget by the way for hotels? I mean, it's like a challenge for me to find you somewhere good to stay and with easy access to good food.

I'll let others pick up on Adelaide and Brisbane.

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

As far as budget, we're not looking to stay at 5 star hotels, but no hostels either. Maybe in the range of $100-$150 (Australian) a night? Also prefer somewhere close by public transportation, just in case the driving thing doesn't work out.... :blink: Also, prefer safe neighborhoods.

Thanks for the food tips. We'll definitely check out the concession stands at the zoo.

BTW, any good eats on Phillip Island? We will also be checking out the Penguin Parade.

The really great thing about Healesville and Phillip Island is that you can bring picnic food and enjoy the amazing surrounds. Phillip Island has outdoor gas barbecues and a few small stores that sell picnic-y foods. Healesville lets you bring food into the Sanctuary, just don't go near the Ibis'! So, that might be something for you to consider.

If only Jack Nicholson could have narrated my dinner, it would have been perfect.

Anna,

Regarding accommodation I book all business and vacation accommodation using www.wotif.com.au - it's cheap and convenient, providing good descriptions of venues. In your price range apartments can be great - chains such as Quest, medina and Saville are good quality and reliable.

Regarding restaurants, here are a few good spots for less formal meals.

Adelaide

T-Chow, Gouger St, City

Pauls Fish cafe - Norwood or Gouger St - good, fresh fish

Melt - King William Rd - Groovy Pizza/ tapas joint with good winelist ($7 cab ride from city)

Citrus - Hutt St - Great for alfresco breakfast or quick lunch

In Melbourne I would suggest checking out China Town orSouthbank on the Yarra or Fitzroy St at St Kilda and see what takes your fancy.

A couple of nicer spots that can be as quick as you like are

Becco www.becco.com.au

Pelican on Fitzroy St St Kilda - here you can also pop over the road and have a glass of wine at the Melbourne Wine Room, which is also good for a quick bite. Fitzroy St is good for a wander and there are lots of good restaurants to choose from.

Kangaroo Island will depend on where you are and choices will be extremely limited. The local seafood is outstanding though, especially the King george Whiting.

As noted above, Werribee will be a tough ask.

Have a great trip,

Kenny

Fitzroy St? Nice restaurants? Wow, can I borrow your Tardis??

I can only think of Di Stasio, Wine Room... then blank... nothing... good wildlife spotting though, of an urban sort.

Kenny, would you care to elaborate on some of those Adelaide hot spots you've mentioned? We're lacking discussion on the Adelaide front, and the Perth front etc etc.

Damn....I typed a long reply only to be told that i was not logged in!!! Lost it so here goes again....

PCL,

My recommendaton to annachan for Fitzroy St was based on the criteria supplied and I think St Kilda is a nice detour for visitors. Yes Di Stasio is excellent if you don't mind the close quarters. Circa is pretty handy too and always have a drink at the Wine Room....some of the best views in Melbourne!

Regarding Adelaide recos above, some brief snapshots.

T-Chow in the city (just off Gouger St in Market Place) is large, ugly, efficient and produces some of the best Chinese in Australia - no sweet & sour pork, chop suey etc to be found here. There's tendons, tripe, hot pots, fresh seafood - it's an institution and its very, very cheap and BYO.

Pauls Fish cafe on Gouger St (City) is a glorified fish and chip shop, but only uses the best ingredients. Pretty basic, but every visit to Adelaide must include a good feed of King george Whiting and who wants fussy all the time when travelling for extended periods.

Melt on King William Rd, Hyde Park is a new venture for the boys who run the Melting Pot, which I will getto later. Imaginative pizzas, tapas and a concise but well thought out and well priced winelist. Pretty groovy and noisy, but good fun.

Citrus on Hutt St, City has been around for a long while but is a great spot if you want some fresh air, with great coffee, breakfast and lunches. Not a temple of Gastronomy but ideal if you are on the run.

As for the top end of town, some that may not have been covered in previous threads.

Melting Pot - King William Rd, Hyde Park- Think Marque (Crown St) for setting and style. French/ mod Oz - Really thoughtful menu and winelist. Service is good and even offers Krug by the glass. Only seats 30 - romantic night out.

Assegio - King William Rd, Hyde Park (I think) - A good driver and pitching wedge from Melting Pot. I have not been able to get there but my wife who is a tough marker raved about it. Otrher reports have been equally encouraging. It's the restaurant that everyone is talking about and the guys behind it have a very good track record.

Chianti Classico - Hutt St, Adelaide - Clubby feel Italian restaurant. A bit of a haunt for the business community but there is no denying the quality of the food here and the professional service. Not the most inventive Italian, but well executed and possibly the best selection of Italian wines in Adelaide. Well priced for what it is.

As per other threads can heartily endorse Grange, Bridgewater Mill, Cibo, Auge and Urban.

Will add as they come to mind.

Cheers,

Kenny

Edited by Kenny (log)

if you're up at warrawong in the adelaide hills, the aldgate pump hotel does good pub food, there's lots of nice cafes and organic food places in stirling.. if you're catching public transport, they'll go through these towns/suburbs..

in the city, just walk down gouger st [near the central markets] where kenny suggested t chow.. there lots of good places, most reasonably priced.. my favourite at the moment is BBQ city for roast pork and bbq duck dishes..

other end of town in rundle st, amalfi is always good.. jasmin indian nearby.. penang hawkers corner in the mansions arcade at the end of rundle mall has great malaysian..

Edited by Tae.Lee (log)

Wow, thanks for all the great tips! Both on the restaurants and hotels. Looks like we're going to have a great trip.

Keep the tips coming cause the more the better. :biggrin:

As a reward, annachan, you can bring us some Anchor Steam :biggrin:

The husband and I are taking our first trip to Australia in August. We'll be spending our trip mainly visiting parks, zoos and sanctuaries. So, we need food suggestions that work well with what we have planned. I don't think we'll have a lot of time enjoying the more refined dining experiences this time around. I'm thinking that we'll most likely get food on the go or eat at quick, casual restaurants. Also, we will most likely be using public transportation, so we don't want to spend a lot of time traveling to particular restaurant but would rather eat closed by where we'll be.

Here are the places we plan to visit:

Melbourne - Little River Earth Sanctuary, Healesville Sanctuary, Werribee Open Range Zoo, Melbourne Zoo

Adelaide - Kangaroo Island (Penneshaw), Wombat Rise, Warrawong

Brisbane - Tangalooma, Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary, Dreamworld, Australian Zoo

Though we're open to all cuisines, we would love to have what we can't get at home. Any regional cuisines you can recommend are wanted! I especially love some suggestions on where to get great meat pies.  :wub:

Other than at Tangalooma and Kangaroo Island, we haven't decided where to stay yet, in terms of hotel, part of town, etc. So any suggestions on that as well as transportation are welcome! (Please PM me those)

Thanks! :rolleyes:  :raz:  :laugh: