• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Steak Sauce?

Kim Shook

When I do special occasion steaks, I usually like to offer a sauce on the side. I have done peach steak sauce and, of course, béarnaise. But I would like a new idea for my Father’s Day steaks. I’ll probably be serving:

Baked goat cheese w/ caramelized onion, garlic and mission figs & slice baguettes

Texas Caviar & Tortilla chips

Grilled rib eye steaks w/ ________sauce

Some kind of potatoes

Some kind of big salad – maybe with beets

Bread

Peanut butter cheesecake

Some kind of cupcakes

I am looking at the chimichurri thread, but I’d like some other ideas, too. TIA!

compound butters, melted over.

Red wine reduction

homemade bbq sauce

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Grilled rib eye steaks w/ ________sauce

Some kind of potatoes

I'm assuming that you live in the states & can get wonderful beef. ( something that despite all of their other food virtues the French can't match.) If so, why mess it up with a sauce? Just drizzle over the pan juices augmented by a bit of red wine to help deglaze the pan.

As for some kind of potatoes try this with no potatoes:

Corrots peeled & quaretered.

Turnips peeled & cut into chunks

Parsnips peeled & quartered

Shalotts peeled & only halved if they're large.\

Garlic cloves, slightly crushed & very roughly chopped.

Place above in a roasting tin. Then cover all (mixing with your hands) with a light coating of olive oil. (truffle oil is much better if you can find & afford it) Add Herbs de provence, salt & pepper.

Roast in a 190 degree C oven for 45-60 minutes. Stir occesionally. If necxessary turn heat up near end to brown veggies for presentation.

Guaranteed success.

If you decide to try this let me know the result as so far as I know this is my own unique recipe & I'm looking for feedback outside family & friends.

enjoy!

I have to be in the minority on this one but I really do love A-1 on the side even with the best steaks. Many a waiters have cringed or said things like "don't tell anyone I'm giving you this" when I've requested with my steak. A really rare aged beef and A-1, its great.

I like to make a version of red eye gravy on occasion w/ rib eyes. Rub steaks w/ some ground coffee as well cracked pepper, kosher salt, & a hint of paprika. Put some bacon drippings in the bottom of the cast iron skillet and cook steaks to desired temp & remove. While meat is resting add some coffee and hot sauce to the pan. Stir & reduce then serve over the steaks.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.