• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My Dad's 90th Birthday

DonnaMarieNJ

I would like recommendations where we can celebrate my dad's 90th birthday. I'm inviting about 68 people, and probably about 50 will be attending. Does anyone know where I can find a good, cost-efficient place to have the party? I'm looking for either a sit down dinner or buffet. A liquor license would be nice, but not necessary. I live in Bloomfield, and would like the place close to my home as people will be coming in from out of state (my dad is one of ten children!). Also, I'd like room for a DJ, or some type of music, but a dance floor is not necessary. Dad cannot climb stairs.

I called several places in Bloomfield and am thinking about Angelo's, Cosimo's, Formia's, Bella Napoli, and Vinnie's but have not received prices as yet. It does not have to be Italian. The only reasons I chose those restaurants is because they are local and I have dined there. I have not attended a "function" at any of these places so I don't know how their service and food would be for a crowd.

Any town nearby would be okay, also, but may be more expensive.

I am not looking for anyting fancy at all. Just good food and a relatively nice place. I am on a budget.

Thanks for any help!

Last September, we had my parents' 60th Anniversary at Formia. The food and the service were very nice. They open for dinner on Sundays at 4:00, so we had the place from noon to 4:00. We had close to 50 people and we were really tightly packed. You have even more plus a DJ. My husband made a CD of songs from the 40's, and they played it on their CD player for our guests. It created a nice atmosphere without having a DJ.

Are the other places willing to open for a private party when they are closed? Are they willing to close during their regular dining hours for a private party?

The only other things that I would mention was that we were pretty insistant on a waiter-served dinner rather than a buffet. If you are having a lot of older folks, they usually like to stay seated and be served.

Good luck!

NJDuchess

Thanks, Duchess. My first choice was Formia's, but they told me today they only seat 44 max. That is too close for comfort for me.

I didn't think about the fact that most of the people will be older and would like to be served. It is a good point.

Donna Marie,

It's been awhile, but, we ate at a place called Seven Hills in Bloomfield and the food was very good and they had party rooms. I don't think it was too expensive and I know that they had buffet and dinners. Just a thought for you.

Thanks, everyone. I tried Seven Hills but they are closed for good, so they say, but when I go by, the lights are always on. Maybe just the bar is open. Formia's is too small, as is Cosimos and Vinnie's. I think I'm headed towards Angelo's. Has anyone eaten or attended a function there? The price is right, and they have the space. Hopefully, the food and service will be good. My dad is not picky, and, as I said, I am on a tight budget. (I was even thinking about Charlie Brown's :wacko: )

I might even have to have a cash bar. :sad:

Donna Marie,

It's been awhile, but, we ate at a place called Seven Hills in Bloomfield and the food was very good and they had party rooms.  I don't think it was too expensive and I know that they had buffet and dinners.  Just a thought for you.

Do you mean Angelo's that is on Broad street, sorta next to a diner? It's a pizza place in the front and if you go in thru the back they have a restaurant? If that's the one the food is usually very good there. We found that place a couple of years ago and have gone back once or so a year and the food is always good. In fact, just last night we were out with some friends that had gone to Angelo's with us about a year ago and they suggested we should go back there again.

Have a great time at your Dad's b-day party!!

Yes, on Broad Street. They have a room big enough for 75 (buffet only) guests and a DJ. It was the least expensive place I found, PLUS they had an elevator (my dad can barely walk). I am going there tonight for dinner.

Thank you everyone for your help!

Yes, that sounds like the place on Broad Street. I was wondering where there party room was. I remember a set of steps going downstairs and then I wondered how your Dad would get down the stairs. An elevator?? I wonder where they have that.

I hope you post again after you have dinner there as I am curious if it is the same place.

My dad is not picky, and, as I said, I am on a tight budget.  (I was even thinking about Charlie Brown's  :wacko: )

I might even have to have a cash bar.  :sad:

if you're considering CB's, you might consider the Grand Saloon in Clifton. it certainly wouldn't be my first choice, but given the constraints it might work.

edited to say that the stairs might kill this idea.

am i out of my mind to suggest Pal's Cabin?

Edited by tommy (log)

I threw my friend's baby shower at Angelo's, about 3 years ago. The food was good, for buffet style Italian, and the service was excellent. Everything we needed was taken care of, a lot of times before we even asked. The package included a cake that was from Gencarelli's - yum! The room isn't beautiful, per se, kind of basement-y, but there is plenty of room, I believe. We were able to decorate it any way we wanted, I think they had a rule about how you put stuff on the walls though, but I can't remember. We did not do unlimited liquor, because the people that were invited really aren't drinkers, but we were able to order beer by the pitcher, and wine by the carafe and they added it onto the bill. Afterwards, when we were there cleaning up, the waiter even brought us drinks on the house!

I would recommend Angelos. You may want to also check out Antonio's in Belleville, they're very reasonably priced for events...

My dad is not picky, and, as I said, I am on a tight budget.  (I was even thinking about Charlie Brown's  :wacko: )

I might even have to have a cash bar.  :sad:

if you're considering CB's, you might consider the Grand Saloon in Clifton. it certainly wouldn't be my first choice, but given the constraints it might work.

I believe that Pal's cabin has a private facility downstairs on the same level as the bathrooms, so stairs shouldn't be a factor.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

I might even have to have a cash bar.   :sad:

Absolutely not! I didn't even think of Pal's Cabin!!!

"I threw my friend's baby shower at Angelo's, about 3 years ago. The food was good, for buffet style Italian, and the service was excellent. Everything we needed was taken care of, a lot of times before we even asked. The package included a cake that was from Gencarelli's - yum! The room isn't beautiful, per se, kind of basement-y, but there is plenty of room, I believe. We were able to decorate it any way we wanted, I think they had a rule about how you put stuff on the walls though, but I can't remember. We did not do unlimited liquor, because the people that were invited really aren't drinkers, but we were able to order beer by the pitcher, and wine by the carafe and they added it onto the bill. Afterwards, when we were there cleaning up, the waiter even brought us drinks on the house!

I would recommend Angelos. You may want to also check out Antonio's in Belleville, they're very reasonably priced for events..."

Is it expected of me to clean up at Angelo's? I wasn't aware of that. Ewww.

Thank you all for allowing me to "pick your brains" about this. I knew there had to be some place I was missing, even with all of my "constraints."

I will check out Antonio's and that link from Susan.

Antonio's is very good. We have eaten there a few times and always left saying how good the food was. I didn't know that they had a party room.

Donna Marie, if you go there to try it first, you might miss finding them because they are in the shopping mall on the corner of Franklin and Joralemon Street. It's not hard, but, you might not be looking into the shopping center for them. Here a google link to a map for them.

Antonio's

Antonio's is right across from the Chandelier restaurant. Hmmm, another one I forgot. The Chandelier is very good too. They are just a catering/party place not a restaurant. I just looked up the Chandelier and they have a website with pricing. Hope this all helps you out.

The Chandelier

You could also try San Carlo in Lyndhurst.

Instead of having a cash bar you could limit it to beer wine and soda.

There is a place in Belleville all the way down Washington ave - The Branch Brook Manor - I've been to a few communions and anniversary parties or there is Bella Casa in Belleville.

Although I have not been I have heard good things about Via Brera in Nutley.

Good Luck

oh, I apologize, I meant taking the stuff out to the car and what not...not actually cleaning up!

Antonio's doesn't have a party room, per se, but they will rent one of the dining rooms for you.

I forgot about Bella Casa - that place is very nice, and plenty of room for DJ, dance floor, tables, bar, buffet station, etc. I know they also do a sit down menu.

I've been to Via Brera for dinner, and the food was very good. I know they were expanding to build a party room, not sure if it was completed yet, but may be worth checking out.

A thought on the bar... there is a third alternative to open and cash bar, a consumption bar. You can control the cost further by limmiting what is served.

Enjoy the celebration!