• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Professional Knife Case

Kim Shook

My husband knows me so well! For mother's day, he gave me a Henckels Professional Knife Case! I have wanted one for a long time. I hate using other people's knives - most people who's kitchens I cook in don't have decent knives. So now I can pull a 'Top Chef' - pack up my knives and GO :wink: ! The only thing is, I wonder if I'm going to feel a little silly unpacking this thing?? Kind of like a diner cook in a toque?

I don't have a case, but I always take my chef's knife with me if there's the remotest possibility that I'll be cooking. No one I go to visit has a good knife (except my daughter, and I bought the one she has for her) and I just can't deal with wimpy, lightweight knives. I sort of felt silly at first, but my family has gotten used to me now. If they want me to cook, and they always do, they'll just have to put up with my little habits.

I'm off in search of a knife case.......

Stop Family Violence

I don't have a case, but I always take my chef's knife with me if there's the remotest possibility that I'll be cooking. No one I go to visit has a good knife (except my daughter, and I bought the one she has for her) and I just can't deal with wimpy, lightweight knives. I sort of felt silly at first, but my family has gotten used to me now. If they want me to cook, and they always do, they'll just have to put up with my little habits.

I'm off in search of a knife case.......

Dana - You are right - they (and I) will get used to it - just like they have gotten used to pictures of meals before we are allowed to eat :raz: ! As far as cases, here you go: Knife Cases on Amazon

My husband knows me so well!  For mother's day, he gave me a Henckels Professional Knife Case!  I have wanted one for a long time.  I hate using other people's knives - most people who's kitchens I cook in don't have decent knives.  So now I can pull a 'Top Chef' - pack up my knives and GO  :wink: !  The only thing is, I wonder if I'm going to feel a little silly unpacking this thing??  Kind of like a diner cook in a toque?

What a terrific gift! Hey -- I always travel with my own knives (hint: Check 'em with your baggage if you're going by plane). I also bring a cutting board, because most people have glass or Corian or some other "durable" cutting board that'll ruin the edges of your knives. It's an extremely cool thing to bring along, and to unpack. :biggrin:

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

My husband knows me so well!  For mother's day, he gave me a Henckels Professional Knife Case!  I have wanted one for a long time.  I hate using other people's knives - most people who's kitchens I cook in don't have decent knives.  So now I can pull a 'Top Chef' - pack up my knives and GO  :wink: !  The only thing is, I wonder if I'm going to feel a little silly unpacking this thing??  Kind of like a diner cook in a toque?

I agree with Fabby. I have one so I can bring my own knives and favorite tools with me when we go on vacation--I would not hesitate to take them to someone else's house in their cool case because I don't think it looks pretentious, it looks like you care about your knives and don't want anyone to get hurt.

Think of them like a clarinet. If you were going to someone's house to play the clarinet, you would bring your own and not use theirs, yes? And it would be in a case, too.

"I'm not looking at the panties, I'm looking at the vegetables!" --RJZ

I use this for my Wusthof http://www.wusthof.com/en/database3.asp?id=2808 . While the inside is not shown, it has foam slots for the knives to be stored vertically and has room for a steel. -Dick

very cool, dick! do you feel like a secret agent when you carry it? :wink:

When I carry this, I feel like a Secret Agent: http://www.sigarms.com/Products/ShowCatalo...=8&productid=63

-Dick

I use this for my Wusthof http://www.wusthof.com/en/database3.asp?id=2808 . While the inside is not shown, it has foam slots for the knives to be stored vertically and has room for a steel. -Dick

When I carry this, I feel like a Secret Agent: http://www.sigarms.com/Products/ShowCatalo...=8&productid=63

-Dick

i'm a no frills m1911 man myself......;)

Does anyone have any opinions on the so-called Knife Safe? I use it for drawer storage and I'm going to be travelling with it for the first time this weekend. Thoughts?

I have seen those at Sur la Table and thought that they were great. The only thing is, is that the knives will still roll around in whatever they are packed in. That was the only reason that I didn't get them. Plus - I could never remember what size knives I had when I was at the store and I could never remember to measure the knives when I was home :wacko::biggrin: !

-Dick

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

a good friend of mine has bought for herself a very good set of knives.

but only uses the paring knife to slice/chop/whatever everything. it was awkward just watching her struggle. there wasnt enough room for the fingers when she chopped her onion with that paring knife.

i ask her why not use the proper chef knife to do this or that and save the paring knife for *gasp* paring, she said that she was saving her larger knives for an occasion.

i dont understand that kind of thinking.

you have perfectly good equipment. just use it.

"Bibimbap shappdy wappdy wap." - Jinmyo