• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Praline dacquoise

phlawless

I want to do a southern style pecan dacqoise and was wondering if anyone has ever used brown sugar instead of white to have more of a praline flavor. Will this work? I have made brown sugar angel food cakes and marshmallows, but never anything that needed to dry out.

Any tips or advice?

"Godspeed all the bakers at dawn... may they all cut their thumbs and bleed into their buns til they melt away..."

I want to do a southern style pecan dacqoise and was wondering if anyone has ever used brown sugar instead of white to have more of a praline flavor. Will this work? I have made brown sugar angel food cakes and marshmallows, but never anything that needed to dry out.

Any tips or advice?

Hmmm... Emily Lucchetti has a brown sugar crisp meringue recipe in A Passion for Desserts, so I imagine it's doable. Might take a little more drying time in the oven than with white sugar?

Edited by RuthWells (log)

so I made a batch, and it came out great. It did need extra drying time, I just left it in the oven turned off over night. I ended up using dark brown sugar and it has incredible flavor.

"Godspeed all the bakers at dawn... may they all cut their thumbs and bleed into their buns til they melt away..."

so I made a batch, and it came out great. It did need extra drying time, I just left it in the oven turned off over night. I ended up using dark brown sugar and it has incredible flavor.

Cool; I bet it does taste great. Did you end up using the same amount of nuts and sugar that would be used with a "typical" almond/white sugar dacquoise?

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I did, but I also replaced the almonds with pecans

Thanks, this would be fun to try sometime as I'm a big fan of dacquose as a cake by itself or as a layer between other cake layers.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

maybe I am crazy, but where is there a recipe for pralines made out of brown sugar?

Isn't molasses and caramelized sugar two really different flavors?

I really wasn't sure where you were coming from at first, but then thought maybe you were thinking about French pralines rather than those of the American South. There is a style of Southern praline which includes butter, brown sugar or a brown/white sugar mix, pecans, vanilla and cream. (This is similar to the recipe in Bill Neal's Southern Cooking.) Also in an American sense, I make "praline cookies" with brown sugar and pecans. (Looking online I also found some Southern praline recipes that use only caramelized white sugar.)

Hmm, interesting.

I am from North Carolina at that.

Anyone have a recipe to observe?

There is some previous discussion and some recipes (for a brown and non-brown sugar version) here.

(I also glanced at Paul Prudhomme's LA Kitchen and noticed that his version is also of the brown sugar/cream variety.) One poster notes in the previous thread that there are as many different praline recipes as there are pronunciations of the word... :smile: )

it's for a wedding cake:

praline dacquoise

dark caramel buttercream to sandwich in between layers of dark devil's food cake

and then a vanilla bean buttercream to finish

I have to say, the salty/caramely/nutty ness of the filling is really fantastic with the devil's food cake...I'm tasting now as I assemble.

Hmm, interesting.

me too...I am in durham

it's for a wedding cake:

praline dacquoise

dark caramel buttercream to sandwich in between layers of dark devil's food cake

I have to say, the salty/caramely/nutty ness of the filling is really fantastic with the devil's food cake...I'm tasting now as I assemble.

The combo sounds divine and something very much like what I had done once. Mine was with salted peanut dacquoise. All other components the same.

What's your order of assembly (ie, where is that dacquoise going)? And, can you post or pm me the recipe for the dark caramel buttercream? I have a caramel one that I've used in the past and I didn't think it was intense enough...

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

it's for a wedding cake:

praline dacquoise

Hmm, interesting.

me too...I am in durham

That sounds delicious. I've been wanting to try a cake with daquoise for awhile. I'm going to keep this combo in mind.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

it's for a wedding cake:

praline dacquoise

Hmm, interesting.

me too...I am in durham

I wish people would order that type of cakes from me.....some don't know beyond the white & yellow cake there is so much more..........

At least i get to make them for my family!