• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cha-Kaiseki

jkonick

I found a thread from a while ago about kaiseki, but it didn't have much info about cha-kaiseki, or the meal served at the tea ceremony. Although it follows the same general rules as a regular kaiseki, I know there are some differences. Does anyone know anything about this? Or know of any websites with info (preferably in English).

Cha kaiseki is traditionally vegetarian although you will find sometimes sashimi and some meat dishes are served recently. It starts with a soup dish (there could be one or two) then about 3 vegetable dishes that are "shun" meaning in season along with pickles and rice. It's not my most favourite form of Japanese food... I associate sore knees from sitting in seiza position (knees tucked in doing wonders to your knee ligaments) for a good hour to four hours! It's really not about the food, rather the ritual and discipline behind the tea ceremony. Dishes used and presentation is very important too. I'm sorry I don't have any web sites that I can recommend but if you google cha kaiseki there's lots that show up. Also try words like omotesenke, urasenke, senorikyu etc... I can ask my teacher in Japan questions too but she's getting up there in age!

ahh where's the button for the fries?

Thanks for the info Hiroyuki and Tokyogurumegal.

Tokyogurumegal, I definitely agree about seiza - very painful! Especially with big runner/biker's legs like mine. :wacko: And thanks for the offer to talk to your teacher, but actually I'm taking a class now on the tea ceremony, so I can talk to my teacher as well. I'm doing research on cha-kaiseki for a paper, but also it's become something of an interest of mine since taking the class. Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of definitive information about it in English.