• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A nice guy called Hank Friedman

Aria

Hey everyone,

I have tried a few of Hank's truffle recipes and they're great! Check this out...

http://www.soulhealing.com/choco.htm

These look very interesting, I'll have to give them a try.

I have done some centres with jasmine in the past, and quite a bit of lavender. I've also used rose otto in a few things. I have some neroli oil but I haven't started experimenting with it yet. Somehow a lot of the flower flavours remind most people of soap.

• 2 weeks later...

Playdates aren't just for kids!

I had the most wonderful day today, I spent a couple of hours this morning hanging around watching my friend Murray Lloyd tape his BBQ show 'Q-scene', then fellow eGullitier Aria and I got together to try truffle recipes. It was such a delight to meet with her and play in the kitchen.

We decided to try the pomegranate truffles. They pack quite a sour wollop. They are also a bit soft as a truffle centre. We both felt that while they were great in terms of punch with the sour, they really didn't have a very recognizable flavour. So we took a drop of dilute rose otto, added it to some sugar and rolled the milk chocolate dipped truffles in it. It seems to be a good combination.

I'll work on a final version where I will cut back a bit on the pomegranate molasses, add a couple of drops of rose (or some rose water). I'll post when it is done if anyone is interested.

I had the most wonderful day today, I spent a couple of hours this morning hanging around watching my friend Murray Lloyd tape his BBQ show 'Q-scene', then fellow eGullitier Aria and I got together to try truffle recipes.  It was such a delight to meet with her and play in the kitchen.

We decided to try the pomegranate truffles.  They pack quite a sour wollop.  They are also a bit soft as a truffle centre.  We both felt that while they were great in terms of punch with the sour, they really didn't have a very recognizable flavour.  So we took a drop of dilute rose otto, added it to some sugar and rolled the milk chocolate dipped truffles in it.  It seems to be a good combination.

I'll work on a final version where I will cut back a bit on the pomegranate molasses, add a couple of drops of rose (or some rose water).  I'll post when it is done if anyone is interested.

That sounds like an interesting conbination, count me in as interested! One question though, what is otto?

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

I had the most wonderful day today, I spent a couple of hours this morning hanging around watching my friend Murray Lloyd tape his BBQ show 'Q-scene', then fellow eGullitier Aria and I got together to try truffle recipes.  It was such a delight to meet with her and play in the kitchen.

We decided to try the pomegranate truffles.  They pack quite a sour wollop.  They are also a bit soft as a truffle centre.  We both felt that while they were great in terms of punch with the sour, they really didn't have a very recognizable flavour.  So we took a drop of dilute rose otto, added it to some sugar and rolled the milk chocolate dipped truffles in it.  It seems to be a good combination.

I'll work on a final version where I will cut back a bit on the pomegranate molasses, add a couple of drops of rose (or some rose water).  I'll post when it is done if anyone is interested.

That sounds like an interesting conbination, count me in as interested! One question though, what is otto?

Rose otto is rose oil. The oil from the rose petals is distilled making a very strong rose scented and flvoured essential oil. The water part of the distillation becomes rosewater. Rose otto lasts forever and improves with age. I have a tiny bottle in my kitchen that cost me a small fortune. I dilute it in jojoba oil before use and add it about a drop at a time.

Check out this website for a description of the rose harvest and distillation.

http://www.av-at.com/distillation/rosadamascena1.html

Rose otto is rose oil. The oil from the rose petals is distilled making a very strong rose scented and flvoured essential oil. The water part of the distillation becomes rosewater. Rose otto lasts forever and improves with age. I have a tiny bottle in my kitchen that cost me a small fortune. I dilute it in jojoba oil before use and add it about a drop at a time.

Check out this website for a description of the rose harvest and distillation.

http://www.av-at.com/distillation/rosadamascena1.html

Thanks for the explanation!

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

Trial number 1 of rose-pom truffles is in progress.

210 g bittersweet chocolate, 32 grams cream, 23 grams pomegranate molasses, 15 grams rose water, 5 grams glucose.

Quite tolerably acidic, rose seems a bit weak. I'll report back after dipping.

• 7 months later...

Kerry - can you talk a little bit more about using Rose Otto for flavoring truffles? I want to make some white chocolate rose bonbons for Valentine's Day. I made some for a friend a while back, but it took a lot of rosewater to get any appreciable flavor, so I thought the oil might be more effective without watering down the ganache. Thanks!

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Kerry - can you talk a little bit more about using Rose Otto for flavoring truffles?  I want to make some white chocolate rose bonbons for Valentine's Day.  I made some for a friend a while back, but it took a lot of rosewater to get any appreciable flavor, so I thought the oil might be more effective without watering down the ganache.  Thanks!

Tammy,

Rose Otto is the best for getting intense rose flavour. I actually dilute it about 1 drop in 10 in jojoba oil and use about one drop in a recipe. Not inexpensive however. I do notice that he is selling some diluted as well. Rose otto ages beautifully like fine wine, becoming more interesting over time.

My source of rose otto is here. Appalachian natural products. They are a fabulous source of essential oils. When you get an order from them they will include small samples. Try the nutmeg oil and the black pepper oil. A diluted drop of the nutmeg oil goes a long way in adding great flavour to an eggnog centre.

This may not work as well as rose oil but I am planning on using rose syrup in my first experiment with rose flavoured truffles. This syrup has a very strong rose turkish delight flavour and is available from asian stores. I first saw it on the chocolate and zucchinni, blog and I think there was a reference to someone using it in rose macaroons.

The make I have is Natco: http://www.natco-online.com/acatalog/drinksection.html

The rose syrup is about the second item down the page.