• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Luxury coffees,

joiei

In the same vein, I've had Jamaican Blue Mountain for $35/lb (about 4x the cost of this shop's regular beans).

It was very very good, but in the 'diminishing returns' law, it was not FOUR TIMES as good as the usual coffee. Merely very, very good and noticably better than our usual beans.

Andrea

Albuquerque, NM

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

Those coffees are worth it if they can find some suckers to pay that price. Maybe somebody who hates coffee but has to impress a coffee lover with their taste, or somebody who just feels like showing off...

I'd not pay it even if it were the best coffee anybody on earth ever produced... but then again, I can find coffee that makes me happy for a hell of a lot less money than that.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

Woiw. That is one heck of a nice gift box they sell you with the coffee - maybe it's a $68 box and the coffee is about $6?

"Luxury" coffee? They don't even tell you what single origin varietals are used or what estates or countries they're from ... ohhh... wait a minute... it's arabica... ohhh... wait another minute - that's just a bean type and there's crappy arabica and good arabica (and plenty that's in between).

But there's more:

The beans are heated by hot air until they make a popping sound, at which time aromatic oil and flavor agents are released. Correctly gauging roasting is an art. Overdoing it, and the end taste is bitter and acidic. Underdoing it, and the flavor and body are underdeveloped. Ospina Estate Coffee beans are roasted to perfection.

Ahhhh.... that must be it. The don't overroast or underroast - THAT must be why it cost so much :laugh::hmmm:

At those prices you don't need a sucker born every minute- just a handful each day with a few of them buying coffee from you.

Woiw. That is one heck of a nice gift box they sell you with the coffee - maybe it's a $68 box and the coffee is about $6? 

"Luxury" coffee?  They don't even tell you what single origin varietals are used or what estates or countries they're from ...  ohhh...  wait a minute...  it's arabica...  ohhh...  wait another minute - that's just a bean type and there's crappy arabica and good arabica (and plenty that's in between).

But there's more:

The beans are heated by hot air until they make a popping sound, at which time aromatic oil and flavor agents are released. Correctly gauging roasting is an art. Overdoing it, and the end taste is bitter and acidic. Underdoing it, and the flavor and body are underdeveloped. Ospina Estate Coffee beans are roasted to perfection.

Ahhhh.... that must be it. The don't overroast or underroast - THAT must be why it cost so much :laugh::hmmm:

At those prices you don't need a sucker born every minute- just a handful each day with a few of them buying coffee from you.

This sums up my reaction perfectly. Travel around the world, cup at auctions, choose beautiful crops and you still don't have to charge this much. I can't believe they don't even label origin. This shit is complete nonsense.

Formerly known as "Melange"