• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's the best way to keep live clams and mussels

Kevin72

I'm going to be busy all day Wednesday and so won't have time to get to the store for that night's dinner. It involves mussels, and so I'll buy them tomorrow then plan to try to keep them overnight for use the following day. I don't normally do this, but what's the best way? Packed on ice? Submerged in (salt) water? Do either mussels or clams traditionally keep better than the other?

don't submerge them in water. i take them out of the plastic (if any) and put them in a bowl, covered with a damp paper towel. they should be okay in the fridge overnight that way. mmm, mussels are my favorite!

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

they will suffocate if you put them in the water.

I keep mussels overnight often. I take them out of the plastic and if they are also in a net bag I cut that open so they have room. I put some ice then a wad of wet newspaper in the bottom of a big bowl and the the shellfish, another piece of wet newspaper on top of them and maybe a bit more ice- but not enought that if it melts they will be submurged. Also don't beard them until right before you use them.

also try and see if your fridge has a warm spot. ideally you want to keep the mussels in the warmest spot of the fridge. if by chance you don't get around to using them and must keep them for one more night then make sure you pour out the water that accumulates at the bottom of the container and gently rinse the mussels

bork bork bork

The others have pretty much nailed it. I used to work in a seafood market and we got huge bags of clams. It was amazing how long they stayed alive in a big mesh bag in the bottom of a fridge, many days. Mussels are a little more perishable, but should be fine overnight.

Does anyone know how they are stored by the supermarket/fishmonger? I know that the PEI mussels I buy have a best before date that is many days hence so somehow they are being stored for much longer than overnight by the seller.

Also, I have heard that one should not de-beard them until just before use but very, very few of the PEI mussels need de-bearding so what gives here?

Finally, we had mussels a couple of weeks ago and were really happy to see that they were big and fat and really filled the shells BUT the texture was off! All of us agreed that they were mushy. We eat a lot of mussels and I always steam them just until they open so I know it's not overcooking - besides - I think they turn rubbery if overcooked. Anyone have an answer to this texture anomoly?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

IIRC: Mussels need a constant stream of water going through to provide fresh oxygen. If you put them in a stagnant pool, they will use all the oxygen available around them and then die of suffocation.

There you go, Kevin. I see your next piece of culinary equipment -- a 50 gallon tank for your mussels, clams and other creatures.

Does anyone know how they are stored by the supermarket/fishmonger?  I know that the PEI mussels I buy have a best before date that is many days hence so somehow they are being stored for much longer than overnight by the seller.

Also, I have heard that one should not de-beard them until just before use but very, very few of the PEI mussels need de-bearding so what gives here?

Finally, we had mussels a couple of weeks ago and were really happy to see that they were big and fat and really filled the shells BUT the texture was off!  All of us agreed that they were mushy.  We eat a lot of mussels and I always steam them just until they open so I know it's not overcooking - besides - I think they turn rubbery if overcooked.  Anyone have an answer to this texture anomoly?

every restaurant i've worked in de-beards the mussels and they stay alive for a couple of days.

as for the texture i'm guessing that the cook in question was in the shit and didn't have the patience to cook the mussel all the way. the shells i'm guessing were pried open.

bork bork bork

Does anyone know how they are stored by the supermarket/fishmonger?  I know that the PEI mussels I buy have a best before date that is many days hence so somehow they are being stored for much longer than overnight by the seller.

Finally, we had mussels a couple of weeks ago and were really happy to see that they were big and fat and really filled the shells BUT the texture was off!  All of us agreed that they were mushy.  We eat a lot of mussels and I always steam them just until they open so I know it's not overcooking - besides - I think they turn rubbery if overcooked.  Anyone have an answer to this texture anomoly?

every restaurant i've worked in de-beards the mussels and they stay alive for a couple of days.

as for the texture i'm guessing that the cook in question was in the shit and didn't have the patience to cook the mussel all the way. the shells i'm guessing were pried open.

Thanks for answer on the de-bearding but on the cooking - Nah! I was the cook in question and they were properly cooked! So the texture thing needs another explanation. :biggrin:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog