• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining in Finger Lakes

tammylc

Again, I am not there now, so I don't really know anything much, I'm suprised Valentine closed, that's really a bit of a shock, but your right about the location, it opened up when I was living there and I thought for sure it would still be around. As for Le Duc, I'm not sure the space, so I can't say whether or not 400,000 is a good price or not. It looked small, and sounds like alot of work as well. Oh, I can't believe I forgot about Bistro Q, that closed down more recently as well, across the Inlet from Castaways, what has happened with that. Anyways, I would seriously be suprised if you will find anything ready for less than 500,000. I remember when Benchwarmers was up, they wanted like 10,000 a month, and it would seat at most fifty people. I know they put in about three months of work getting it ready for whatever it became (next to Taste of Thai on the Commons), and suspect it was paid for by the new tenant, though I didn't ask. It's a good location, but really.

• 4 weeks later...

I have no idea what train of thought brought this to the forefront of my mind (it's hot as hell here in midtown Manhattan - I'm in the wrong time, place and frame of mind), but it arrived there nonetheless.

If anyone is planning to tour the Finger Lakes region in the autumn (and they should - it's the best time of year to do so), there's a regional seasonal specialty that you should seek out: grape pie. Never had them anywhere else. Never seen them anywhere else.

You can find them at farmstands that sell baked goods. I don't know what their provenance is - the village of Naples has a grape festival each autumn - perhaps there. But the pies, which are made with seeded concord grapes, are incredibly good. Intense flavor.

But the pies, which are made with seeded concord grapes, are incredibly good.  Intense flavor.

So true, I don't remember where I've had them, definately in Naples somewhere, Bob and Ruth's maybe, but they are really great.

Indeed grape pies are pretty common all over Naples, NY, but pretty rare outside of that immediate area. One would think they'd be made anywhere there are grapes, but I don't think I've seen one outside of Naples. My grandmother used to make them from time to time, but most of the grape pies I've had were as HdB said, from farm-stands, or home-based businesses, just drive around Naples, you'll see signs....

I don't have any good food recommendations in Penn Yann, Cooperstown or Corning, but if you go down the west side of Keuka, Heron Hill, Konstantin Frank and Bully Hill wineries are practically next door to one another, and each have something to offer.

Bully Hill has always been kind of weird, but back in the day it was an idiosyncratic, psychedelic Walter Taylor weird. Lately they've made it more mass-market silly, with the tours and tastings descending into shtick. And sadly, I haven't been impressed by any of their wines in quite a while. But they have a lovely patio overlooking the lake, and serve some pretty good food, it's a really nice place for a relaxed lunch. And you can get a Love My Goat hat....

Konstantin Frank makes some ridiculously good wines (Parker recently gave the '05 Rieslings a 90 point rating) and is worth a quick stop and taste.

Heron Hill makes a few good wines too, and they have a little cafe and a nice patio where one can relax, have a bite, and look out at the lake...

www.bullyhill.com

www.drfrankwines.com

www.heronhill.com

There are a few more wineries on both sides of the lake...

In Cooperstown, if you have any affection for Belgian-style beer, you'd have to go to Brewery Ommegang.

In Corning, there are a few nice-looking places along Market Street, but I haven't eaten in any of them...

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

thank you for your help

Les ducs turned into some kind of tropical fusion spot and painted the dining room black

It is already for sale at an extremely high price of 400,000

Where they got this price is mind boggling!

I don't know the pastry space BUT I am curious.  She did close her bistro on quarry st.  (Very strange location)

Any further ideas are appreciated

We will be there full time on 7-11 and begin serious leg work.

Thank You

Mark

The pastry spot was up at a corner on Triphammer Road near the Triphammer Mall - in the small plaza called Community Corners - it's not large enough for a restaurant. Therte's also a place just off the Commons - abnout 100 to 200 feet north of the Handworks store. It's a basement place and has been many things over the years - most recently a Caribbean themed place. None of the many places in there was ever a success and IMHO the weird basement location is a killer (not in a good way.

I don't know whay Roma ever moved. Their pizza was great but they failed in the new location - which remains empty. It's across Meadow Street from Purity Ice Cream and is empty at the moment. Maybe or maybe not big enough for 60 seats - I think that's a stretch. And a nice little Thai place went in where the original Roma was - great food and very moderate prices (it's called Thai Garden).

As for that little area being "ghetto" it's worth noting that it's a relative term and in Ithaca is in my opinion a non-issue (not to mention that people who describe an area of Ithaca as being "ghetto" mean the houses on that block are a bit more run down than the average Ithaca abode - there's no such thing as a real ghetto in Ithaca). And Za Za's is right there a few hundred feet or so from the old Roma location - it's an upscale place.

Cooperstown: Brooks BBQ just east of Oneonta does great BBQ, trout, chicken and ribs (10 minutes west of Cooperstown). Skip the ribs and go for the Chicken though, IMO. They used to advertise the biggest BBQ pit in the NE, but I doubt that anymore, still good as always a year ago when I was passing through. As for Corning, I don't know if there is anything worth making a side trip for besides the Museum of Glass, but the little bakery tucked in by the river (heading south on Bridge, make a left onto the road just before the bridge) has really good pizza, donuts and other baked goods. I used to get the pizza there alot. Best Chinese last I checked is Shanghai Garden on Market, but not worth the special trip, the one in Elmira is much better as well. The low end restaruant I most loved sadly no longer exists, Melody's, It was a vegetarian joint, but they were great. Sit-n-Bull in Painted Post has some good bar type food, and I've heard the Central was good for a sit down place in the same plaza, but couldn't vouch for it. I would just eat some Arby's Chicken Fingers over in Erwin and get gone, or go on up to Jerlando's in Watkins Glen and have some good pizza.

Just wanted to second Thai Garden as well for good and cheap Thai.

Edited by coquus (log)

Indeed grape pies are pretty common all over Naples, NY,  but pretty rare outside of that immediate area.  One would think they'd be made anywhere there are grapes, but I don't think I've seen one outside of Naples.  My grandmother used to make them from time to time, but most of the grape pies I've had were as HdB said, from farm-stands, or home-based businesses, just drive around Naples, you'll see signs....

Had one a couple of years ago from a farmstand up near my mother's (Lake Ontario, not Finger Lakes). It was spectacularly good. I'd forgotten they existed until then. I haven't seen one before or since, save for eating grape pie at the festival in Naples when I was a kid.

I nearly forgot to mention... El Rincon - a Mexican place much touted for authenticity and freshness - has opened a location in downtown Canadaigua. Their original place in Sodus was opened primiarily to cater to the Mexican agricultural workers who used to be seasonal but have now settled in the area year round.

Food savvy friends who recently tried the new one in Canandaigua raved about it. I'll be sure to visit there when I get a chance - there's nothing remotely approaching good, fresh authentic mexican food in Syracuse. We do have the terrific (and always crowded) Alto Cinco, right in my own neighborhood... but I think of it more as a Mexican inspired bsitro rather than a traditional Mexican restaurant.

El Rincon

I haven't been to Cooperstown in a couple of years but I liked the Mingo Blue Grill on Ostego Lake. Good food and good scenery. The Moosewood Restaurant is a great place for lunch in Ithaca, whether or not you are a vegetarian.

Our local newspaper dining forum (don't ask - it's that bad) had a nice little tidbit today - a link to the web site of

Finger Lakes Culinary Bounty

There's a small but growing list of restaurant, farms and other producers along with events listings and information resources for area farmers wishing to sell to restaurants in the region.

• 1 year later...

I figured I would necro this thread.

I'm most likely heading down to Keuka Lake for my birthday in a couple of weeks, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for dining. I've considered Esperanza Mansion in Penn Yann and Village Tavern in Hammondsport, but the reviews I've found online have been spotty. Anybody have any experience with either of these places, or have any other suggestions to eat around Keuka?