• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO Prime Rib Roast Cooking Advice

koko

Hi folks..

I have a large party I'm having on a sunday (about 60 people) and we are serving rib roasts.. obviously we'll have multiple roasts. We are also having about 7-8 hor d'oeurves earlier in the day.

My problem is this.. with one oven and the need to reheat and serve hor d'oeurves as well, can I pre/par-cook the roast the a day or two in advance and bring to temp without any significant loss in quality?

I was thinking about precooking it up to about 110 (rare-mr) and then reheating it the next day at the same oven temp (say about 300-350) back to 110 or 115.

Can I get some thoughts on this? Thanks..

By preheating several roasts to 110-115F you are putting a lot of internal tissue into a dangerous temperature range, and it will take several hours for the fridge to get it back to 40F.

You could instead, rent a large charcoal grill and do them all, outside, in about an hour.

Even several consumer grade gas BBQ's would be safer...

Hi folks.. well my previous post no longer applies and we are no longer doing multiple roasts.. instead we're are gonna get a massive 18lb-er 7 ribs and just feed as many people as possible (figuring about 1/2 lb per person).. but I'm trying to figure out the logistics here...

I have one oven and it'll be available from 9am-ish~ 1:30pm ...which at that point I need the oven for other things until about 4pm.. then I can have it back from 4pm till dinner time which is scheduled for 6pm-ish.

So my question is.. obviously with a roast this large, I don't think the slow and steady method will work since the total cooking time will probably take WAY too long.. soo..

Can I cook the roast with the high heat (say 425-450 for 15-20 min) then back it down to 325-350 for the rest of the way? I'm figuring that if I start around 9ish, I should be maybe done by 1ish.. maybe, for MR.

But then what? Can anyone recommend anything? Whats the best way to hold it for awhile before I can park it back into the oven to keep warm?

As an extra, there MAY be a gas grill on hand that I can use but I don't want to grill the whole roast on there.. mostly cause I'm afraid of ruining such a expensive piece of meat and my grilling skills aren't the best.. but can I use that to hold it warm for several hours?

Anyone have recommendations? I'll take every suggestion/idea you experts have got!

Thanks!!

By preheating several roasts to 110-115F you are putting a lot of internal tissue into a dangerous temperature range, and it will take several hours for the fridge to get  it back to 40F.

huh??? a little knowledge is a dangerous thing....don't mean to be offensive ;).

anyways, the higher the heat, the more the shrinkage, just something to keep in mind. I'd start it early and low, giving you time to adjust if necessary. It'll hold just fine for a few hours tented. Blast it before service if you need to. IIRC exports ran me about 4-5 hours in a sham at 325, yours will roast quicker in a conventional and give a wider range of doneness.

hth

Dangerous temperature range... 41-140... bueller, bueller...

Granted the /inside/ of a piece of meat is not really likely to get "diseased", but it definitely will be a long time going up AND coming down in that range, so who knows what could happen.

As far as "grilling" the rib roast.. you can turn that gas grill into an oven with not too much modification. Get equipment such that you can monitor the temp of both the grill AND the roast, and you'll be okay. If you want to be safer, you can keep the roast off direct heat, or you can always put a sheetpan or something over the bars so it doesnt burn on them, either. AND you'll be able to hold it in the grill til you need it.

With timing issues and one oven, I can already forsee rushing around and things going wrong, especially with heating/cooling that giant roast.

But whatever route you go -- be prepared! If youre going to oven it, make sure that roast is prepped so you can toss it in at 9am. Also make sure you can pre-heat that badboy if you need to. And if youre using the gas grill -- make sure you got the propane.

Also -- if youre going heavy on hors d'ouerve, Id cut back on your portion size.. especially considering you get 36 8oz portions from 18lbs.. and between drip and bone and whatnot, youre not going to have 18lbs when it comes time to cut.

Rico

The length of time to cook doesn't depend on the weight, but he maximum thickness. Since large ribs are just longer, not thicker, the time remains the same.

Buy a digital thermometer. It takes out the guesswork.

For that many people I would advise a boneless rolled rib; much easier to carve. How are you going to serve it? In a bun? What sides/relishes?

I usually allow 1lb/person raw weight on the bone. You'd be surprised how much good beef people will eat, and how quickly..

Usual advise is to serve within two hours of cooking.

However, you may be able to construct a well insulated box ("haybox") to keep it above the dangerous temperature.

I would strongly advise the long term low ttemperature method. It is a lot more foolproof. You are trying to get the inside of the mead to say 130F/55C for rare, or maybe a little more, and hold it ther for at least 90 minutes http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/fc01-3.html#3-4. Set your oven to say 60F/140C, if it goes that low - plate warming temperature.

Put the beef in the night before, wrapped in tinfoiland cook 12 hours or more overnight.

Take it out at 1.:30 and put it in your insulated container, wrapped up(e.g expanded poystyrene container + plastic peanuts) then the whole wrapped in blankets or a duvet. When the oven is free and cooled down you can put it back, or heat the oven hot and flash it for half an hour to brown and crisp the outside at say 5pm, then let stand for half an hour in a warm place

If you cook long and very low you will be rewarded with the tenderest most delicious beef you have ever eaten.

Using indirect heat to roast a prime rib isn't that much different than using an oven. Especially if you have a thermometer. That frees up your oven and allows you to cook the roast at the proper time without having to hold it over.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Wow.. lots of info.. thx folks!!

Well, I guess part of the problem is that I'm cooking at a location I'm not familiar with (and too far to go to for a casual look see), so I don't know the arrangement of the cooking area, etc.. I've been told it only has one oven and that the grill that I'd have access to is a Weber A series.

Looking at the A series, I can see that it only has 2 burners and isn't that large so I'm not so sure that indirect heat cooking in the grill would even be possible (though it does have a built-in thermo). So it looks like the oven it will have to be, unless I get there and am pleasantly surprised otherwise, in which case I'll try the grill... and yes, I have a Polder probe so thatll remove the guesswork on my part.

I understand the whole 41-140 range.. went to culinary school and am doing catering on a low key part-time basis... I've done parties like this but the first time I've had to deal with HD, grilled items AND a roast.. the roast is obviously throwing me off..

I was going to buy a bone-in roast, and then just remove the bones prior to service (keeping them for my lil treat)... WAH LA!! Boneless roast... served in slices with optional sides of a wild rice stuffing (w/ craisins, golden raisins and pine nuts) and a mango/jicama/cucumber salad with citrus vinaigrette... something to keep it all lite, and prob the option of Au Jus or a horseradish cream sauce on the side for people who want..

This isn't meant to feed everyone, I'm hoping for it to feed 25-30 people at about 1/2 lb a slice.. considering that for 4 hours before that, they will also be feasting on 8 different Hor D'oeurves (HD) (all with some starch involved). The rest of the party can feast on grilled salmon (pre-marked, held in fridge and finished in the oven) and the host is buying several pre-done peruvian rotisserie chickens.

But I think I understand my choices now...

a) if I have access to a grill that I can use indirect heat on, then use that... If no indirect heat is possible, I can consider inverting one sheet pan and then placing another one w/ a rack on top and put the roast on that? (assuming the roast even fits into it the grill)

b) Perhaps use the grill at high heat to reheat my HD's instead and use the oven to slow roast the sucker.. I have a feeling I won't be able to bring it down to a temp of 150, lets say 200-225 is more likely.. should I expect something like 22m/lb? So for a 18lber.. 6.5 hours roughly..

Any other options? The overnite can't be done since I won't be there until early early morning..

Thanx guys (and gals!)!! :biggrin: I've been reading this board and searching through it for ages and love it.. first time I'm posting and I love all the serious answers.

Dangerous temperature range... 41-140... bueller, bueller...

so should i be pulling my r-mr roasts and steaks at 40 or 140......?

Anyways, 300-325 would be fine imo. I wouldn't want to try to grill over charcoal/wood on equipment that i haven't used before. Then you can also reheat your appys in the same oven. And can turn the oven up or down as temp dictates.

I'm sure you know you do want to hold it over, for at least a half hour on a full rib roast or you'll be wiping up juices/blood from the first cut. Brings me to another point, if carving on the line bring a cutting board, full sheet, side towels, carver and fork, and linen other than white-the "juices" when carving can look pretty unappealing to many folk.

Also, if this is a home kitchen, remember to pan up on half sheets ;).

Good luck, have fun, thats what it's all about(and a paycheck).

hth

Thx Dano1.. I'm already stocked on half-dozen half sheet pans... though I may go pick up a few extra just incase.. but I like the tip about the non-white linens.. didn't even think about that... hehe.. *picturing bloody looking towels strewn everywhere* :raz:

I was going to buy a bone-in roast, and then just remove the bones prior to service (keeping them for my lil treat)... WAH LA!! Boneless roast... served in slices with optional sides of a wild rice stuffing (w/ craisins, golden raisins and pine nuts) and a mango/jicama/cucumber salad with citrus vinaigrette... something to keep it all lite, and prob the option of Au Jus or a horseradish cream sauce on the side for people who want..

This isn't meant to feed everyone, I'm hoping for it to feed 25-30 people at about 1/2 lb a slice.. considering that for 4 hours before that, they will also be feasting on 8 different Hor D'oeurves (HD) (all with some starch involved).  The rest of the party can feast on grilled salmon (pre-marked, held in fridge and finished in the oven) and the host is buying several pre-done peruvian rotisserie chickens.

But I think I understand my choices now...

a) if I have access to a grill that I can use indirect heat on, then use that...  If no indirect heat is possible, I can consider inverting one sheet pan and then placing another one w/ a rack on top and put the roast on that?  (assuming the roast even fits into it the grill)

b) Perhaps use the grill at high heat to reheat my HD's instead and use the oven to slow roast the sucker.. I have a feeling I won't be able to bring it down to a temp of 150, lets say 200-225 is more likely.. should I expect something like 22m/lb?  So for a 18lber.. 6.5 hours roughly..

Any other options?  The overnite can't be done since I won't be there until early early morning..

Thanx guys (and gals!)!!  :biggrin:  I've been reading this board and searching through it for ages and love it.. first time I'm posting and I love all the serious answers.

Since you don't know the oven, you will be able to get the most bang with a boneless rib roast, in cryovac, from a big box store. It will be easy to figure out the portions, and easy to deal with in the oven and on the platter.

As I think about this, I realize that one option for you might be to roast it ahead of time and serve it cool or cold. Nothing wrong with that, as I am quite frankly rather fond of leftover beef. In fact, in certain ways, I almost prefer it to hot and rested out of the oven/off the grill. That would also give you the option of spending more ala minute time working on the stuff that must be hot.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

As I think about this, I realize that one option for you might be to roast it ahead of time and serve it cool or cold.  Nothing wrong with that, as I am quite frankly rather fond of leftover beef.

I'm with you there.. I grew up on cold leftovers... but sadly (or not so) my 'clients' would like hot/warm food and a presentation piece.. so I'll be doing what I can the day of..

The length of time to cook doesn't depend on the weight, but he maximum thickness. Since large ribs are just longer, not thicker, the time remains the same.

2 hours passed before I realized something about what you said Jackal10.. theoretically (not saying I'll do this but it's nice to know).. if I cut the 7 ribber in half.. say 4 and 3 ribs and roast them together in the same oven, they should cook slightly faster then having the entire roast in one piece then.. since width-wise they would be of a shorter thickness.. even taking into consideration that there would be multiple items in the oven which slows cooking time but hrmm...

don't do it. You'll get a nicer range of temps roasting as one piece. Sure it'll speed the cooking process but at a definite cost.

BTW rib roasts come in a variety of sizes, just like anything else. The big boys ain't just "longer" ;).

2 hours passed before I realized something about what you said Jackal10.. theoretically (not saying I'll do this but it's nice to know).. if I cut the 7 ribber in half.. say 4 and 3 ribs and roast them together in the same oven, they should cook slightly faster then having the entire roast in one piece then.. since width-wise they would be of a shorter thickness..

They would cook faster, but (and here comes my opportunity to nitpick), that would be because you have increased the S/V (surface area to volume) ratio. No one dimension (width, length, depth) will determine cooking time (well, unless the other dimensions are held constant, which, when we're talking about cuts of meat, is often approximately the case).

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

I cook a whole Prime Grade Rib Roast every Xmas. It's very simple inspite of all the crazy ways others think of doing it. Season your roast and then put into a 475F oven for about 30minutes or until it is crisp enough for you, since time is a constraint for you, back off the temp to about 400F and roast until the internal temp in the center touching a rib is 100F. Remove roast and allow to stand a minimum of one hour wrapped in foil. Your ends will be medium and the center pieces will be rare. If the center is too rare then simply put back into your oven at 400F for a while. Works every time. -Dick

A little trick I learned while catering and having to take hot things back & forth: purchase a good heavy duty "cooler" or two (I have a several "Ultra Cold 50 by Igloo that are phenomenal) and line the bottom w/ news paper a couple of heavy towels and then place a couple of heated bricks--just throw them in your oven for an hour or so. You can do it while food is cooking but it will slow down the pre-heating process of your oven--on top of the towels another towel on top of the heated bricks and this contraption will keep things hot for hours (you can buy the ceramic tiles specifically for such but bricks work just as well and are usually cheaper. Not to mention I have several in my garage any way. A word of caution--do not let the hot bricks touch the plastic--edited to add "hence the news papers and towels". I do have scars in one of my coolers). I have transported things an hour away and gotten there w/ no significant loss in temperature (I also set a probe thermometer in side to keep track of temp). A while back I took several smoked chickens and veg casseroles to a function and returned home several hours later and the bricks were still too hot to touch and the inside of the "cooler" was still hot. Be careful b/c things will continue to cook in the "cooler" but you could get those roasts to rare in the oven and place them in the "cooler". As long as you keep an eye on the temp and gauge what you need then slice the well dones fr/ the first finished, &c.

Basically they are rigged hot boxes w/o the need for electricity or sterno and work very well for holding esp. where oven space is limited.

Edited by Lan4Dawg (log)

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks.. sry no pictures but it did turn out well.. nice and crusty outside and medium to medium rare inside..

My roast was a 19lb-er with ribs... I opted to go with the high and low method so started it off at 450 for about 25-30 min then cranked it down to about 300 for most of the rest of the way.

The kitchen I was using had a convection oven (yay!!) and I found that the 18 min / lb of meat cooking time estimate was way off.. I was prepped to have it cook for about 6 hrs but it only took about 3-4 hrs (~9:30am - 1-ish) for it to reach 120, at which point I lowered the oven to 200-225 and fired up the grill outside to 225 and moved it out there to free up the oven and held it for another hour or two, with the internal temperature never getting any higher then about 137 either when rested .. a nice juicy pinkish inside.. gorgeous meat!

Confounded me a little but I was glad for the shoter time either way.. was this just a factor of the convection oven I wonder or would I have had a similar experience in a regular oven I wonder... I'll need to cook another large roast in my home oven now just to see if that'll take 6 hours or not..

I'm not sure what happened with your cooking times, other than once the heat was up that high, it took a while to come down and as a result the roast continued to cook faster. When I cook a prime rib, I estimate 18 minutes a lb at 300 convection steady. No extremes of temperatures. I figure your roast using this method would take a little over 5 hours.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I have to agree with Marlene here. 450 degrees for half an hour on convection is a LOT of heat. That amount of time at that temperature is a bit more than just searing the meat. Glad it turned out well for you, I imagine if you took it out a 137 and rested, it was a pink medium. Hope you all enjoyed it.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

My classic rib roast is cooked in a Weber kettle BBQ using Mesquite Charcoal wood chunks. I get it from a local restaurant(know the chef). The charcoal comes from Mexico. I fire up the charcoal, push it to one side, and sear it off. Then indirect heat, and keep the lid on for 2 to 3 hours, smoking the #%$% out of it. Serious schmek. Sorry about the profanity, but I get passionate about my Rib Roast.Last one was 10 Lbs. and took 3 hours on a cold march day.

I avoid using the lump charcoal that has become available from Mexico. Industry regulation and morality are very different in Mexico. I would be concerned about the charcoal being made from wood that was contaminated with all sorts of toxic material.-Dick