• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Korean food recommendation in SF

My girlfriend and I will be taking an extended vacation to San Francisco next month. While we're both very excited about the trip (her first time to SF), there's one thing that concerns me.

The problem is that "she-who-must-be-obeyed" will REQUIRE Korean food at least once or twice during our stay (we'll be there for three weeks), and I don't recall ever reading about any decent Korean joints in the city. I went back 17 pages and did a search of this forum to no avail.

Can any of you kind souls point me in the direction of a good Korean restaurant close to the Russian Hill district? We'd prefer to walk or use mass transit if at all possible, but we will have a car if we have to go further out.

Also, we're planning on Gary Danko/Fleur de Lys for a few dinners, but since I also need to make mortgage payments, I need suggestions for good and cheap eats in the area. I understand that Chinatown is in walking distance of where we'll be staying (Lombard and Leavenworth), so I imagine we'll be eating there quite often, but other recs will be greatly appreciated.

Take the bus to Japantown. Walk down the street (down the hill) to Fillmore and turn left. Two doors down from the Fillmore is a pretty amazing Korean restaurant called Won Mi at 1545 Fillmore. Known for being open VERY late (4:00 a.m. and later). Honestly, the place is entirely empty almost all evening long but is packed in the middle of the night.

This whole neighborhood is peppered with Korean restaurants and Japantown is mostly owned and operated by Koreans now so much of the Japanese restaurants have a Korean twist to them (read my post on Juban, an erstwhile Japanese teppan restaurant that did not serve tsukemono, but kimchi).

A much less informed recommendation than Carolyn's, but a a Korean co-worker took us all out for nice Korean BBQ at Brother's (4128 Geary, between 5th and 6th). This is farther on out in the western part of the city but there should be buses that run up and down Geary. My last time there was over 5 years ago and it was my first Korean bbq; perhaps someone else has comments on how they rate overall and how they are doing lately.

Have a nice trip; Russian Hill is a beautiful area for a home base.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I go to one of the Hahn's Hibachi pretty regularly, and think it is pretty good food.

Hahn's Hibachi

However, I don't know enough about Korean Food to know if it is authentic, and it certainly isn't fancy.

I've heard good things about the Brother's BBQ places from Korean students at the university I work at; but, have never had a chance to try them myself.

I'm looking forward to hearing about and trying some of other folks' recommendations!

~Erik

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Brother's Korean has good food....but I'm not too fond of the crowded space. Seoul Garden in Japantown has a much better space and the food is comparable to Brother's. I went there with a group of friends, some of whom are Korean and suggested the place.

Other than Chinatown, the Richmond area is also filled with cheap eats places. I don't know the bus system in the city too well, but I'm sure you can catch a bus running on California to get there. Golden Mandalay is a great Southeast Asian restaurant on California at 6th Ave. Prices are not dirt cheap, but definitely reasonable. You can get a good meal for $30 for two. Another really cheap eats place is Denny's Cafe (not the chain). It's a little Hong Kong style cafe. Breakfast (8-11am) and afternoon tea (3-6pm) are around $3. You can get a breakfast such as sausage and eggs or entree like stir-fry udon plus tea or coffee for that price. Daily and dinner specials (soup, garlic bread, entree and a drink) starts at $6. There are also hundred of items and it opens late, pass midnight.

If this is your girlfriend's first trip, don't forget to head over to the Ferry Building.

Oh yeah, beware of Chinatown....there are some good places, also really bad ones. Stay away from restaurants on Grant, those are mainly tourist traps. My cousin went to one last month when she visited and really regrets it.

Have a great time here! :laugh:

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone! We'll definitely try Won Mi and at least one of the BBQ places mentioned.

Annachan, thanks for the tip about Denny's Cafe--sounds like a great "insider" nabe joint, and exactly the kind of place I would frequend if I lived in SF.

If there are any other suggestions, I'd love to hear 'em!

Just thought of a place in Chinatown.... Little Paris Cafe on Stockton has some good Vietnamese sandwiches and packaged entrees for very good prices. Sandwiches are generlly between $2-$3 and entrees at around $3-$4. It's not THE BEST Vietnamese food, but I like the sandwiches better than most other places I've tried.

Also, I would imagine that you might dine over at North Beach, which is right next to Chinatown. One good Italian place I really enjoy is Panta Rei. Prices are reasonable. My favorite, green pasta w/ duck ragu, costs around $12. Caffe Triste is a favorite coffee joint in the area. I understand that you can enjoy some free opera there on Saturday afternoon.

... Caffe Triste is a favorite coffee joint in the area. I understand that you can enjoy some free opera there on Saturday afternoon.

Nice suggestions, annachan. Just to avoid any potential confusion, the cafe is called Cafe Trieste (corner of Grant and Vallejo). It was a hangout for Jack Kerouac, Ginsberg and company along with Vesuvio's (bar) and the City Light's Bookstore.

Nearby on Colombus, I like to stop by Stella Pastry for a fresh filled cannoli or some other Italian pastry. Molinari's Delicatessan on the corner of Colombus and Broadway has great Italian coldcuts for picking up a sandwich to go or some other Italian goodies.

Well--and if you're in the area and looking for other good cheap eats, I like Brandy Ho's Hunan on Colombus just south of Vesuvio's, City Lights and Molinari's. Farther south on Colombus a block or so is the San Francisco Brewing Company (now a small brewing company but based in a very old bar) and across the way, Bocadillo's, a Spanish/Basque-inspired sandwich shop that also has a nice selection of wines by the glass.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

When I lived in the Bay Area - we would hit Brothers and Wooden Charcoal BBQ House (here is a list of Korean places in the SF City proper). Both were good - Wooden Charcoal specialized in - you guessed it - Kalbi and Bulgogi grilled over charcoal.

If you make down to the South Bay - Santa Clara - there is a stretch of El Camino that has a alot of Korean places. My favorite place was Cornershop (2783 El Camino Real) - that has really great home style food. The side dishes and kimchee has reall quality ingredients - and were clearly house made. Kalbi tang, the cold buckwheat noodles, and fried chicken were things we always ordered. Here is a online review. A funny dish I liked ordering was their rice omelet. Not gourmet AT All - fried rice with ground beef and frozen veggies rolled in a soft omelet. Served with a bottle of ketchup - its like something someone's grandma would make and you and your friends would chow down on while watching tv in the rec room. All around Cornershop are fancier korean places for you to check out.

If you make it all the way down there - you MUST check out Saravana Bhavan - really excellent South Indian vegatarian food - delicous and it is also very reasonable. The dosa's and the tiffins are mmm mmmm. Here is a review that I found.

Hope you have a good time trying things out in SF.

Edited >>> I just read your request more closely - sorry about the south bay suggestions - perhaps not very practical...

Edited by canucklehead (log)

One thing I have to say about restaurants in Chinatown SF - do NOT eat at House of Nanking - it is really popular and you will see a huge line up in front of it.  Baffling to me.

I was skeptical at first too. (And you need to know about my upbringing and taste buds for authenticity in Chinese food. :smile: )

While I cannot tell the authenticity of the "Nanking" style in this restaurant, I do find their entrees interesting and I like them. (I went back for a second time and tried something else - Nanking Fish and Shrimp cake (appetizer) - both good... plus the repeat of Nanking Chicken.)

My review post and some pictures here on House of Nanking:

SF: House of Nanking, Specialties: S&S chicken, dumpli

And I agree that in general I do not think much about most Chinese restaurants in Chinatown SF. Some of them flat out scared me. :smile:

Edited by hzrt8w (log)
W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Ah Leung - I am glad that you had a better experience than I.

When I was taken for lunch - everything was covered in the same sweet brown sauce. The dishes seemed thrown together - large chopped vegetables pieces passing as 'rustic'. I don't hold it against them that they don't serve "Nanjing" food - which is closer to Shanghainese - but there was no care in the food.

Perhaps it was the lunch rush, or perhaps the people I was with did not know how to order - but it was not a good experience. Seeing your pictures - I think I would have liked your home versions alot more.

What about Yuet Lee for Chinese? I've heard of it for years but have never been...

Edited by ludja (log)

What about Yuet Lee for Chinese?  I've heard of it for years but have never been...

I have been to Yuet Lee (Broadway + Stockton) a few times. But that was over 20 years ago. They were good. However, I don't know what they have become since I don't live in the area. I just observed everytime I walked by that they seemed to attract more non-Asian tourists then locals, which to me seemed a bad sign.

If I eat in Chinese Town SF, which is rare these days, I would go to Hing Lung Restaurant - half a block from Yuet Lee along Broadway.

Sorry for getting off the Korean food track.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

I go to Yuet Lee every few years for lunch. I have always found the food to be very good- especially the seafood. When I have been there, there were few non-Asians. The downside to the place is that the service can be indifferent to surly, and you almost have to wear sunglasses to fight the glare of bright lights shining off the formica tables and whatever color of green it is painted. If you study the menu outside a little and are prepared to order right away, I think the service is more friendly. I remember several great clam dishes.

Edited by Carlsbad (log)

This is great information!

The general consensus seems to be to avoid most of the restaurants in Chinatown like the plague. Quite a difference from our (New York) Chinatown, where you can have a reliably good meal at any number of establishments.

Maybe you guys have a higher standard for Chinese food? I've heard that what we New Yorkers have available in terms of Asian cuisine pales in comparison to the great stuff out there on the west coast.

As long as we're talking about Chinatown/Chinese food, any "can't miss" dishes there? Incredible soup dumplings? Transcendent char siu bao? Orgasm-inducing tong po pork? Pork is my true love, if you haven't noticed :laugh:

• 7 months later...

Finally took melkor's recommendation and tried Shin Toe Bul Yi (2001 Taraval, at 30th Avenue).

My what tasty food!

Puts my recommendation of Hahn's Hibachi to shame.

We had the "chicken small pieces - little spicy". Yum! While it won't replace San Tung's "Dry Fried Chicken Dry" as my favorite Asian chicken dish in San Francisco, it was a fine mix of tender and crispy.

We also had the Kim Chi Bowl, which was quite good.

My wife, who was trying Korean food for the first time, really enjoyed the little bowls of pickles and condiments. The soft tofu soup was delicious. What is the spice that is used in that? It tastes similar to smoked paprika. I also really liked the onion pancake. Crisp on the outside and kind of gelatinous inside.

The service was quite friendly, though at most of the other tables it was transacted in Korean or Chinese.

edit - By the way, we thought Shin Toe Bul Yi was quite reasonable. Around $20 for more tasty food than we could possibly eat.

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

• 2 weeks later...

Take the bart to McArthur and visit Po Chang Tofu House for excellent soon du bu. In the same area is Ogami, offering excellent grilled dishes and house made neng myun.

For delicious kim-chi and solun tang there is a specialty shop on McArthur and Telegraph. The name is Seoul Gom Tang!!

Enjoy.