• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Broad beans: (almost) in season

davebrown

This weekend I podded some, steamed them and slipped them from their skins before combining with creme fraiche, shreds of horseradish and thinly sliced wet garlic. Then served with blinis and smoked trout.

What next?

Just back from Campania, where the favoured appetiser among the locals was to dismember huge bowls of raw, just-picked, unseasoned fava the size of boomerangs. I suspect that anyone suggesting improvement via horseradish or smoked trout would have received a fava pod up the fundament.

shelled & pureed with mint

risotto with asparagus, peas & mint

lamb stew - artihokes, broad beans & mint

salad with borlotti, ligurian oil, parsley, coppa di parma

asparagus & broad bean salad blanched within minutes of picking, squeez lemon, rock salt & either parmesan or pecorino

With squid/cuttlefish - there's a great recipe in one of the Moro books

(PS shouldn't this be in "Cooking"?)

Thanks for the suggestion: I'll look it up.

I kind of assumed that "cuisine" in the title of the thread category included cooking, if it was regionally appropriate (like locally in season). If I'm wrong let me know and I'll locate better in future.

Dave

Just back from Campania, where the favoured appetiser among the locals was to dismember huge bowls of raw, just-picked, unseasoned fava the size of boomerangs. I suspect that anyone suggesting improvement via horseradish or smoked trout would have received a fava pod up the fundament.

Wishing to leave my fundament unfavaed I've burnt my passport.

Join us in The Cooking and Cuisine of Liguria. Starting with Post #20, you'll see examples of MARO , a puree of the fresh beans used as a spread for crostini or when thinned, a pasta sauce. You'll also see the beans used in a light soup with lettuce.

(I believe we began addressing fava beans in the thread devoted to The Cooking and Cuisine of Latium since there are a number of Roman recipes that incorporate them.)

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath