• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Duck fat in Houston?

In the past I have purchased rendered duck fat, frozen, from Central Market for a decent price. Since that time, they have started selling 7-oz containers in their salad bar area for $6.99 each. Eight duck legs for confit requires about four of those tubs. Isn't there a less-pricey alternative in the Metro Houston area? Thanks.

In the past I have purchased rendered duck fat, frozen, from Central Market for a decent price. Since that time, they have started selling 7-oz containers in their salad bar area for $6.99 each. Eight duck legs for confit requires about four of those tubs. Isn't there a less-pricey alternative in the Metro Houston area?  Thanks.

you are talking about the D'artagnan brand, right? It is outrageous. They should have the much less pricy Grimaud Farms across from the butcher counter right where they have the frozen demi-glace and such. If not, tell the butcher and he will order it for you. They did that for me a while back.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

At the Central Market here in Austin, they have rendered duck fat IN the butcher's case right where they sell the duck. They may do the same thing at the one in Houston. It's still expensive, around $5 per little bucket, but cheaper than the stuff they sell in the deli area.

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

Seems to me there used to be an all Beijing duck restaurant on Bissonnet or Beechenut called The Golden Duck. If it still exists, I would guess they have more duck fat than they know what to do with it.

Seems to me there used to be an all Beijing duck restaurant on Bissonnet  or Beechenut called The Golden Duck.  If it still exists, I would guess they have more duck fat than they know what to do with it.

I would not use that fat for at least too reasons:

1- It has been heated way too much, not just rendered

2- It will have whatever flavor the duck is flavored with, other than...er..duck. I am talking about spices, salt, soy....

Central MArket is still the best choice for me. Here are my comments about the subject from the CM thread

I also noticed that they not only have duck fat, but they have two different products. One from Grimaud Farms and one form D'artagnan. Needless to say the latter one is much much more expensive (like 4X more than the Grimaud). For my money the Grimaud farms one is perfect at 3.99/lb, it makes awsome confit. Another item I was both surprised and glad to see is French goose fat! Imported and for about $5/lb. I have not trie dthis yet, but will soon.

3.99/lb really is a good deal and beats the heck out of rendering the stuff yourself. I have several tubs of it in the freezer, so I have not had to buy any in a while.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I've found that the best and cheapest way to get duck fat is from, well, ducks. Buy a few ducks, take off all the skin and fat and render that out. Use the meat for a duck ragu or something like that.

--

Have you ever been to the hong kong market on bellaire??.You might wanna try there :smile:

I go there often and they sure do not sell duck fat. Ask their butcher for it and see the look on his face...kinda amusing.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I've found that the best and cheapest way to get duck fat is from, well, ducks.  Buy a few ducks, take off all the skin and fat and render that out.  Use the meat for a duck ragu or something like that.

I agree it might be cheap, and I used to do that, but it is a lot of work and my wife hates hates hates the smell in the house :smile:. Besides those damn ducks at Hong Kong market do not yield that much fat (relative to the amount of work) in my experience. So since finding the stuff at CM for under $4 a pound I do not think I will be rendering my own anymore.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Update on the duck fat-- I went to Central Market and purchased two tubs of frozen duck fat ( no brand name such as Grimaud Frams) across from the fresh chicken and grouped with the "exotics" such as pheasant, buffalo, etc. The price is $6.99/pound, so for $20 I got roughly 6 cups of fat versus the D'artagnan brand at $6.99 for just over 1 cup. If I gather any from rendering my own ducks it will probably go for rillettes or sauteeing potatoes--too much work to have it for confit.

Just FYI--You can re-use duck fat for confit several times. As long as you are careful to keep it out of the danger zone for too long, you can strain it and re-use it many times.

Some people think after a while the fat actually tastes better cause it becomes more flavored with the cure and seasonings and whatnots.

Just FYI--You can re-use duck fat for confit several times. As long as you are careful to keep it out of the danger zone for too long, you can strain it and re-use it many times.

Some people think after a while the fat actually tastes better cause it becomes more flavored with the cure and seasonings and whatnots.

absolutly, I strain and place the used fat in large mason jars and store them in the freezer.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog