• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The circular kitchen: seeing IS believing!

Gifted Gourmet

the circular kitchen .. newest design

When I first found this on the recommendation of a dear friend, I was shocked and delighted with the concept! Use your cursor on the photograph on the left to see how the circular kitchen accomodates all types of appliances ...

Compact due to revolving units: the complete work area may be reached from a sitting or standing position.

Convenient despite the small size, a storage capacity equivalent to 12 cupboards of a conventional kitchen.

Easy to hide behind closing doors

User friendly, no annoying doors in the way whilst working in the kitchen, no deep cupboards.

Everything visible, appliances and kitchen contents are clearly visible.

What do you think something like this might cost? (apparently, they do give some estimates on the site)

Is this practical?

How about the design? Look like something you might wish to try yourself?

Pros? Cons?

Only useful to the apartment dweller?

Talk to me!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I love this design! It seems like a good idea for a studio. That they fit so many features into such a small space is amazing. I wonder if it could be modified to fit a boat galley or RV? I'm interested to know what others think.

If only Jack Nicholson could have narrated my dinner, it would have been perfect.

they remind me of those Fisher Price kitchens that our kids had when they were toddlers -- everything nice and compact. I've seen a few things that solve the "need kitchen stuff but don't want to cook or can't fit it in" problem. I think it would do well in guest quarters, for us 'burbanites.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

This thing is so cool. I'd be interested in hearing from someone who has actually used the thing. Main limitation to me seems to be limited counterspace in one area.

The lack of counter space would be a real problem for me. Living in a sparsely populated area as I do, where we don't have the lack of living space that large coastal cities have (nanny nanny boo boo), it's hard for me to imagine being happy with an arrangement like this.

However, it is superbly designed and organized, and if I were in a situation where I need to stuff a lot of capability into a really small space, I can't imagine it getting much better than this. I guess I could always roll out pie crust and noodles on the kitchen table! :blink: Not sure where I would put that chinoise I'm always thinking about buying.

And knowing myself, if I were in an apartment and had one of these things, I am pretty sure that over a period of several months, little additions to the kitchen (new gadgets, etc.) would start finding little homes nearby, and pretty soon, the whole apartment would be filled with all of the overflow from the kitchen. Just like now, when our garage is slowly being filled with the overflow from the kitchen! :laugh: We're even planning to build a house, and I'm already dealing with the reality of not being able to store everything I have, in the kitchen itself. Fortunately, we will have a basement.

Amazing! I own a TINY condo in Florida; this sound ideal for a situation like mine! I could have this installed, and have plenty of room left over for prep area, unlike the barely 2 square feet I have now! :biggrin:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Well....this thing has more counter space than Megan Blocker's kitchen! :laugh:

I was thinking Rv's and dorms like someone else mentioned.... not for me though...I still want a full kitchen.

This is kind of the reverse design of THIS design from Snaidero. Co-designed with Pinifarina, it was released a few years ago. The Snaidero web site has more pictures, but because it's flash, I can't link directly to the Acropolis page. http://www.snaidero.com

Here's a quote from the Snaidero site:

Acropolis is the centric kitchen, designed to be in the centre of the room, to meet the needs of the man who wants to have everything around him, who feels the need for a really modern approach.

(my emphasis

:hmmm::hmmm: Ladies??

A.

Aside from the masculine-oriented discussion, the photograph is not uninteresting .. if someone needs to operate in a relatively small space ... otherwise, I would find it quite confining for my personal culinary needs ...

more information with clickable pictures on the circular kitchen and even estimates as to price ...

The inner core rotates 180 degrees and is equipped with all the conveniences of a conventional kitchen, including a stainless steel sink with chrome single lever mixer, a waste bin and drawers. The upper circular shelf rotates through 360 degrees to house crockery, glasses, etc. Inside it has its own lighting, electrical sockets, electronics, water and waste disposal.

"It contains the equivalent of 12 cupboards from a conventional kitchen

refrigerator, dishwasher, microwave, fully integrated coffee machine, ceramic cook top with 2 or 4 cook zones, a built-in microwave/oven-combination and a Range hood.

an infinite choice of decor, colours, fittings, benchtop finishes and depending on the selection of equipment the Circular Kitchen will cost between EUR5,000 and 12,000 (US$6500 to US$15,000).

It occurred to me that this might be ideal for handicapped individuals. With one of the powered chairs, that has an elevating seat, it would make everything very accessible.

And it would also work well for blind people, particularly since they could stand in one place and rotate the ring to bring the appliance they need into reach.

I am forwarding the link to a friend who works in rehabilitation, I think she will be interested too.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

This is kind of the reverse design of THIS design from Snaidero. 

This one would be ideal for some entertaining. It's set up like a bar. Put that on a flatbed trailer and take it on the road doing cooking demonstrations and such.

<a href='http://www.zenkimchi.com/FoodJournal' target='_blank'>ZenKimchi Korean Food Journal</a> - The longest running Korean food blog

This is really cool, it makes me think of the 1950's "House of the future" very space-age efficiency :smile:

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

Huh. Interesting. I don't think I would ever get one for myself, but I can see the practicality behind it. The lack of counter space alone would drive me bat-shit insane. However, it is far, FAR superior to most kitchens in small apartments, and if I had to choose between the two (God forbid) I'd choose the circular thing.

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

I've been jonesing for a version of the Acropolis for over a year now. Robert Swedroe, a local Miami design powerhouse, uses Snaidero quite often in his condominium projects, to great effect. #1 boy needs to settle us down sometime in the next 6 years, then I'll be seriously considering it. The only problem with these compact kitchens is counter space. I intend to add an extra 'S' counter piece with a dishwasher, an extra cooktop and 2 ovens to my Acropolis design. Plus, I can't stand Italian plumbing fixtures, as a rule, so there will be some change outs from the get go.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

No, this would never work for me. For one, it would drive me nuts, positively nuts, if parts of my kitchen were rotated out of view. Also, I'm a very "out of sight, out of mind" kind of guy, so I'm sure that I would put things up to cook, rotate around to the dishwasher, and then forget that I had stuff cooking. Not for me!

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

This is really cool, it makes me think of the 1950's "House of the future"  very space-age efficiency  :smile:

Same here. Makes me think I'd see it in the film "Logan's Run." :wub::laugh:

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks