• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinatown Brasserie

. . . mmmmmm love that kool aid.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

• 4 weeks later...
So Florence Fabricant reports today that Tyson Ophaso is leaving, and that Joe Ng is taking over the main menu as well.

I'm sure that's indicative of, well, something or other.

Yes, what eveyone has been saying since CB opened.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

But isn't Joe Ng a dim sum chef?  Was he in charge of the non-dim-sum menu at World Tong?  Did World Tong even have a non-dim-sum menu?

Had dinner there tonight. Excellent drinks btw, a very good Singapore Sling. Excellent dum sum, best I've had in NY. It's expensive. We had about 5 kinds of dumplings, including great pan fried shrimp and chive dumplings. Very good soup dumplings, not as fatty as most. Peking duck was good, not remarkable, same with 3 pepper chicken. Whole fish in spicy sauce was OK.

• 3 months later...

After it had been on my never-ending list of restaurants to go to for far too long, I finally made it to Chinatown Brasserie for dim sum lunch yesterday?

Should've gone sooner.

A friend and I had: roast pork buns, crabmeat & pork soup dumplings, roast duck and shrimp dumplings, fish skin dumplings, sitcky rice with shrimp & pork in lotus leaf, crispy taro root shrimp, barbecued duck spring roll, and custard bao.

Wonderful quality across the board. Everything impeccably fresh. The fried items were not the least bit greasy. The flavors were spot on.

A pot of tea and all of that food for 2 people -- $75 with tax/tip. Certainly not Chinatown cheap. But when the food is this good, I'm not complaining.

• 7 months later...

I am in all likelihood going to CB for dinner on Friday, as part of a party of 5 or 6. I plan on suggesting that we get mostly dim sum items, but if any non-dim sum items are desired, what do you all suggest as the creme de la creme of those? Also, is there any reason to be concerned about the number of Chowhounds panning this place? In the past, I've tried to call them on possible reverse snobbery, but some have maintained that they really find the food -- including dim sum -- mediocre or worse, irrespective of price. I find that hard to believe, given that Joe Ng is still chef, but I wouldn't mind a bit of reassurance.

Michael aka "Pan"

Your opinion is duly noted, Nathan, though I would have to disagree somewhat, given the fact that the Chowhounds were responsible for my patronage of Crispo, which has been grossly undercovered on this forum. But in any case, do you have any suggestions of particularly good non-dim sum dishes at CB?

Michael aka "Pan"

I haven't been.

(edit: Crispo is fine but there's better in the same milieu at the same price point.  and it's such an annoying B&T zoo on the weekend)

Please tell me what's better for Italian at the same price point, though in a different thread.

Michael aka "Pan"

So, I take it none of you eat or like any non-dim sum items at Chinatown Brasserie, or are you just ignoring me? :raz: The dinner is tomorrow. Last chance for you to help me!

Michael aka "Pan"