• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Just Baked

sadistick

We tried the Coconut Tart on the weekend.  It was sooooooo good.  I was surprised with the weight - it is definitely good value for the money.  Please don't tell my family, but I ate 3 pieces.  These are low cal, right Justin? :)

On a separate note, could somebody help me out with the process of posting pictures?  Thank you!

Hey Creative...So glad you liked the Coconut tart! I'll just keep that secret between you and me.......annnd the hundreds of other people who read eG :raz:

Low cal...sure! Whatever you say! :laugh:

Regarding uploading pictures - go to the top of eG where it says "Image Gullet" then there will be a drop down menu on the right hand side, click the down arrow then click upload - title the picture - then click browse, you will have to locate the picture on your hard drive, double click, then click OK -

To view them, go to the same location - but on the drop down menu select 'view' - then you can click on the picture - along the bottom will be a link that says "Click for actual URL" or something to that extent, copy that link (ctrl+C) - then when you go to make a post, you simply click the "IMG" button on the top section of the post/reply and input that link which you copied (paste - ctrl+v)

Hope that helps, glad to hear you enjoyed the tart. Let me know how you like the rest!

All the best,

-Justin

ok, finally polished off the rest of the Apricot Linzer Torte. Sorry it took so long ;)

really loved the clear flavour of the nuts coming through (oh man, and the smell the night I brought it home...so irresistable). Liked the "weight"/substance of the torte...not a wimpy after-dinner dessert by any means ;). As I mentioned earlier, liked it for not being stiflingly sweet...which may not be a totally good thing because it meant I could just keep eating more :P

I think its greatest triumph though was impressing my folks, neither of whom are dessert people.

I told sadistick that the convenience really appealed to me -- once I've tried the ones on offer I'll probably start putting in orders for 3-5 at a time and toss them in the freezer for a special occasion (you know, like those times when I feel like having a snack ;) ).

sadistick, just wondering, do you offer any of them "fresh" (never frozen) if I can pick them up at the time that you're making them? Or is freezing an integral part of the "assembly"...?

Endy - Glad to hear that your parents enjoyed it. It's always fun to convert non dessert eaters and see their reactions when they taste some of our tarts.

Regarding your query, no, we dont offer them "fresh". We rapid freeze all our tarts while they are still warm, which allows for the fresh out of the oven quality upon thawing. That being said, if you want to be able to pick one up ready to consume (if you can't wait till you get home! :) ) then we can remove them 3-4 hours prior to pickup (or delivery) if requested with your order.

Hope this helps,

-Justin

Ginger - Thanks for the kind words, and welcome home!  Although I must say, I always wanted to visit BC...definetly high up there on my list! 

Thanks for the welcome, and do make sure you visit BC! Though I'm thrilled to be coming home, well, purgatory it ain't out here :wink:

A couple of questions - first, is it possible to guarantee that your linzer torte would have had no contact with chocolate? I'm not talking about the extremes concerning nut allergies, but chocolate gives my partner migraines :sad: so he avoids it.

Second, what would you charge for delivery to downtown toronto for a below minimum order?

Thanks!

**Melanie**

Hey Melanie,

Unfortunetly I cannot "guarantee" due to legal liabilities that there is no contact with chocolate, but I can tell you that for example, if one day we are only baking Linzer's there will be no chocolate used that day, so the chances are very minimal.

Delivery charges vary depending on the size of the order, and the destination. However, we do not offer delivery on orders of $50 or less. Although keep in mind, the tarts are able to be stored in the freezer for up to 8 months, so as I mentioned, many customers seem to prefer placing larger orders to get the free delivery, and just store them in their freezer for their convenience.

Hope this helps,

-Justin

Melanie, I always try to acomodate people as much as possible, and I can tell you that there is no chocolate in the linzer's, but obviously, no guarantees as there is chocolate used in the kitchen.

Look forward to hearing from you once you move back home!

Cheers,

-Justin

Tried the Swiss chocolate and coconut on the weekend. Awesome.

There was a great deal of swearing and cursing during Saturday's dessert course. Swearing and cursing such as "@#!&, this @#!&ing amazing!" And "Holy %&$#, this is the best *#@!ing thing ever!"

I apologize for my potty-mouthed pals, but they really fell in love with your tarts, Justin. I'm sure they'll be showing up on your doorstep on numerous occasions throughout the summer as they drop in on their way to the cottage.

Your fanbase is increasing!

Mel, so glad you and your 'potty mouthed pals' enjoyed the tarts...No need to apologize, I'll take vulgarity in that form anyday! :biggrin:

Pleasure meeting you, looking forward to seeing you and your friends again soon.

Cheers,

-Justin

Jen - Thanks...look forward to hearing from you!

Creative - So glad you enjoyed the Swiss Chocolate Fudge Tart! We strive to produce a product that has the 'perfect' balance of sweetness/richness/texture.

All the best,

-Justin

Hello,

I am having a swimming party for my son’s birthday/end of the school year party. I am having about 50 people (kids and parents) and heard that your tarts are amazing!! I am thinking about ordering from you to have you cater the desserts, as we are having a catered luncheon before the kids swim. How many tarts do you think I will need and which kinds do you recommend? The boys are 11 and 12 years old and then their parents will be there too. Let me know what you think ASAP as the party is scheduled for the weekend.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you soon :biggrin:

Hey Dolphin,

Thanks for considering us to cater your Son's party! First off, regarding the quantity. We now offer a 'slab' tart which is a 12" x 17" tart which allows you to cut your own sized servings which is very popular for larger dinner parties and catered events. For 50 people, 2 slabs should be sufficient. If you prefer the traditional round tarts, I would suggest 3-4 Large tarts as you can get approx 16-18 slices depending on the size you cut, and that way you can have a bit more variety.

Now on to the second part of your query...Our best seller is the Swiss Chocolate Fudge tart, as most kids (and parents) love chocolate, that should be a sure bet. The coconut tart is also popular as well with kids. To add some variety, I would maybe order a Marzipan tart for the adults, and who knows, maybe some of the kids as well!

Your best bet is to send me an email at info@justbaked.ca and we can chat and go from there!

Looking forward to speaking with you.

-Justin

• 2 weeks later...

Justin,

The tarts were unbelievable. It is a good thing that I ordered extra to keep in the freezer. I had to take a fifth one out half way through the party. The kids loved the chocolate, as did most of the women (hahahaha). The coconut chocolate and the Marzipan were also a hit. I'll have to get my hands on the linzer to try that out, and I'll definetly have to order another chocolate to fill my cravings.

You will be hearing again from me soon.

Hi Justin,

First of all, thank you for dropping the order off at the office the day before our patio party. Leaving the goods in the freezer overnight was taking a bit of a risk, but a hand-drawn skull & crossbones on the box appeared to be a deterrent and all was still intact the following afternoon. Anyway, the Swiss chocolate was, once again, an enormous hit. (Hint: Next time you're in the neighbourhood, please drop off some more business cards.)

The Swiss chocolate and Linzer I took up north this past weekend and the drunken mob went crazy for it, turning the fine Muskoka air a deep shade of azure with profanity-laced praise.

Thanks again, Justin, and all the best,

Melissa

Dolphin - Happy to hear that everyone enjoyed the tarts...Heh, guess thats a good thing that you ordered extra! Looking forward to hearing from you.

Jen - Glad you liked the Linzer, cant wait to hear what you think of the Chocolate!

Mel - Hahaha, too funny, although I am surprised the skull and crossbones was a sufficient deterant :biggrin: I'll be sure to bring extra business cards next time!

Justin,

On request from a parent at the pool party, I need a chocolate slab to keep in my freezer. This is so whenever I have people over at the pool, I can just pull it out and have it ready to serve. I thought that was a great idea!!!

• 2 months later...

Just a note - that we now are doing a mixed slab, of half chocolate half coconut...perfect for a smaller party if you want to offer squares and at the same time have a bit of a selection.

And a BIG thanks to everyone who has helped pass great word of mouth along about our products, every little bit helps!

Justin

• 2 months later...

Update time. Things are going well business wise, we had a good holiday season, which really depleted any stock we had made up till that point, so its back to the kitchen for us! We are gaining more exposure through some cafe's (Tutto Pronto, Zoe's, Urban Fare) as well as through some catering companies as well. Private sales are still moving, word of mouth being the best form of advertisement for us.

On the product front, I have been working on a new form for our tarts, being the individual portion sizes, as many potential clients have asked for this, I felt it time to investigate this path, and have been pleasantly surprised.

Taking a 1 3/8" round aluminum cup, I have been working on ways to bake (and freeze) the swiss chocolate fudge tart, sans crust.

We made a few various test batches, and I must tell you, my initial worries of it being too dry, have been put to rest. I guess because the mass is a bit higher than the tarts, it is even MORE moist and rich than even the tarts are, as amazing as that is.

The only question I would pose to you folks is, if you were a client, be it private or commercial, and you ordered individual sized portions for your cafe, or catering company...would you prefer they came with the aluminum cup (This may have to be the case, as it may freeze better, and stay longer due to less exposed surface area) or would you want it sans cup, ready to be defrosted?

They all come frozen, which is the real key, and big selling feature...having a product that has the Just Baked quality, but with the convenience of storing them for 8+ months in your freezer...

So thats one thing I have to figure out, whether to remove them from cups and sell like that, or keep them in.

My other new thing I am working on, is actually just putting in the raw mix into these cups, and freezing as is...allowing clients to purchase them, and store in their freezer, then just toss in the oven to get a truely Just Baked dessert...I think that may come in to play more so down the line once our products are available to the masses via storefront purchase, as cafe's and catering companies would not be interested in this approach...restaurants with no pastry chef, may however be.

Anyways...thats about it for now, I am sure I may have missed some things, so updates to follow...Would love to hear from you guys what you think, ideas...anything...

Cheers,

-Justin

Edited by sadistick (log)