• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Just Baked

sadistick

Hey Folks,

For the past 8 months I have been working long and hard on my new company, Just Baked.

Ever since I could remember, my grandmother has been making the most amazing desserts. She would always ask everyone in the family every year on their birthday which one they wanted, sometimes inventing new ones, or just staying true to one's favourites.

Every now and then someone would joke that it's a shame we don't try to share her amazing pastries with 'the world' and try to make a business of it.

Well, not too long ago I decided to take it upon myself to try and make her, and our dreams a reality.

I present to you, Just Baked (www.JustBaked.ca) a truely unique way to enjoy gourmet European desserts, from the convenience of your own freezer.

Please visit the site, look around, and see what we have to offer (for the time being!). We plan on bringing out new and exciting desserts as we grow, but decided to focus on Tarts (as the market lacks high quality ones) for the time being.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or concerns, and don't forget to place your order and tell your friends! :biggrin:

All the best,

-Justin Baker

Edited by sadistick (log)

Betts - Thank you for the kind wishes, no butter tarts.. hehe, although I do love a good butter tart, the market is too flooded with them! We're looking at various methods of long distance shipping, as some canadian companies with locations in the US have expressed interest in supplying their US stores, so who knows, maybe you will be able to order some from Minni soon!

Creative - Thank you very much for the kind wishes, I will pass the website compliment on to my web master (aka my GF) :smile:

One of the important factors to me when going through the testing phase was to keep the ingredients all natural, and only the highest quality, and yes, you hit the nail on the head, rapid freezing them allows for us to not have to use any of those icky preservatives. I will be sure to set aside a Coconut and Marzipan tart for you. :biggrin:

Csaville - Thanks a lot for the kind wishes.

All the best,

-Justin

PS - Just as an afterthought, what do you folks think of the idea of offering a Duo-Slab, allowing people to combine for example, Half a Swiss Chocolate Fudge slab, and half a Coconut slab?

Justin, congratulations What gave you the idea to begin this type of business, especially in Toronto? Don't get me wrong, I think it's great, and much needed, I'm not a fan of some the larger, popular dessert places here.

I think the duo slab is an excellent idea, would be exactly the type of thing I'd need for a number of larger dinners when I don't want to bake, but want a selection.

One of your cakes has hazelnuts in it. Is it possible to guarantee that none of the others do?

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

It was interesting to see the Austrian and Viennese inspiration for the tarts cited on your website. Did you mind me asking if you have recent relatives from Austria or was it a tradition that was passed down for several generations in the "New World"?

I guess recipes would need to be tweaked to fit into the frozen format. It looks like you have some interesting choices.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Hi again,

Jake - Thanks! The idea came after working in the IT and Intl. VAR Sales industries for a few years and finally deciding I didn't want to work for anyone else. Knowing what is available in Toronto (I too am not a fan of most of the dessert places here...too sweet!), I felt there were only a few pastry shops out there who offered the quality of pastries which we have. The kicker for us, is the convenience factor; being able to offer a product that is frozen (Or fresh upon request), but also does not deteriorate whatsoever, is a big advantage.

That is what I was thinking regarding the duo slab, being able to offer people a variety for a party or catering event, I do believe we will have to update the website with this!

Regarding the hazelnuts, since our kitchen does have hazelnuts in it, there is no way to offer a 100% guarantee (due to liability reasons) that the others don’t, even though they don’t actually contain any in the ingredients. Just as we don’t have any peanuts in the desserts, we do however use Lindt chocolate, which 'may contain traces of peanuts' so on all our packaging we must state "May contain traces of nuts and/or peanuts" Hope this helps.

Ludja - My Grandmother is from Vienna, and she is the source for our recipes. To be honest, because we use high quality, all natural ingredients, the recipes did not really require much tweaking, other than one minor adjustment on the Coconut Choc tart; they are all her original recipes! Glad you like some of our offerings. We are planning on offering some seasonal tarts as well come summer, such as a Plum/Peach tart with a hazelnut or almond cream underneath. Should be interesting.

Ling - Thank you very much! I do enjoy the marzipan tart, although I must confess, the Swiss Chocolate Fudge Tart was the one I always asked for on my B-Day :biggrin:

Okay, I don't even like dessert but a plum tart with almond cream sounds awesome.

Please keep us updated on how the business is going, the challenges you face , staffing issues, whatever.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

sadistick, we're cheering for you. Knock 'em dead. And did those Apricot Linzertortes get made? I'm drooling just imagining it (but it may be because I had a small dinner ;) )

Congratulations on your new adventure. A friend of mine just started her own business and I know the hoops and learning curve she had to go through and I am sure yours is the same. As I despise making dessert (not to mention I really suck at it) where are you located? I give a couple of big dinner parties a year and I always resort to store bought dessert. In my own defence I do make everything else. I reread your web site - which is great - and perhaps I missed it.

Endy, thanks for the kind wishes...I was going to email you, but was waiting for a reply from my jam supplier (which I only recieved today). He was all out of Apricot, however, I went to buy a jar just so I could make you a small apricot linzer :smile:

Give me a shout by phone or email, and we can set up a time for you to pick it up.

Madge - Thanks...There is definetly a lot of hard work required in order to succeed in a new venture, but if you believe strongly in your product, then it all comes down to perseverance, dedication...and a little bit of luck doesn't hurt either! I am located at Bathurst and Lawrence, however as noted on the site, there is free delivery within the Toronto area for orders over $100.

Thank you all for the kind wishes, and messages! I can't tell you how much it means to me to see people appreciating all the hard work.

All the best,

-Justin

PS - Please pass along the website to friends and family, as word of mouth is by far the best form of advertising!

Good luck with your venture. It's good to see a business that is tightly focused in its product line, yet still able to offer variety and future variations. I think you will do well as long as you keep your focus and vision, and are able to convey that to your customers and clients.

Plus you have the perfect name for a baking outfit.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

What?! No delivery to Oakville? I'll be sure to come by if I ever get into the city again. Best of luck. They look awesome.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Justin,

They look great! I'll let my friends in TO know about you.

This is great advice. The kosher market is ALWAYS looking for ready-to-eat products.

Justin:

Depending on your target market, have you considered getting kosher certified?  I would think that all your ingredients are kosher.  It might open up that Bathurst/Lawrence market :biggrin:

Can't wait for my delivery tomorrow - hope the desserts last until the long weekend!!!

Sanrensho - Thanks very much, one of my goals was to start off focusing strictly on a few tarts, but be consistant...then branch out from there, yet still not spread myself too thin. The name works quite well, especially since my name is Justin Baker! Haaah! (you would be amazed at some of the comments of disbelief I have got) :biggrin:

Creative - I actually inquired about becoming kosher certified a few months ago, but the price (about $500+ as well as annual renewal) was a bit steep at this time. Definetly something to consider down the road, especially since like you said, all the ingredients are kosher. I'll be dropping the tarts off at your place just after 12! If you cant hold off till the weekend, you can pre-slice them, then people wont know how much or how little you have 'tested' :raz:

Marlene - No 'official' delivery to Oakville at this time, unless of course you are throwing one massive party! I look forward to meeting you if/when you decide to mosey on in to T.O. again!

Pam - Thanks so much, I appreciate the word of mouth referral! I agree, the kosher market is huge...not to mention my grandmother has some passover cake recipies that use apple sauce instead of flour that are amazing! Definetly will be doing the kosher certification down the road.

Cheers,

-Justin

Marlene - No 'official' delivery to Oakville at this time, unless of course you are throwing one massive party!  I look forward to meeting you if/when you decide to mosey on in to T.O. again!

Cheers,

-Justin

Un would 4 or 5 tarts qualify? I do happen to be throwing a party the first Monday in June!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Ginger - Thanks for the kind words, and welcome home! Although I must say, I always wanted to visit BC...definetly high up there on my list!

Marlene - I will have to figure out the mileage from here to Oakville, and the time it would take me to get out there, then crunch some numbers. However, if those are 5 'slab' tarts, then I dont see a problem in taking a drive out your way. Also, dont forget, they last up to 8 months in the freezer and many people seem to be ordering larger quantities to get the free delivery. Drop me a PM or email (info@justbaked.ca) if you wish to discuss this further.

it'll be funny when the first eG group order gets placed and sadistick is up to his ears in tarts ;)

sadistick and I finally finished playing e-mail/phone/jam tag and I went over to pick up an Apricot Linzer Torte on Thursday night. I had intended to save it to share with family/friends this weekend but...uh...I couldn't resist and took a piece to work on Friday. I probably would've dug in on Thursday night if it wasn't still frozen-ish (heck, I almost did anyway!). It smelled so good even under the wrap.

I'll post more thoughts after the weekend when I've had a chance to consume more, but suffice to say that it was excellent and I am glad that sadistick is doing his part in the war against overly sweet desserts.

oh and sadistick is a really nice guy :) in addition to being aptly named :P (his real name, not his handle :P)

Edited by Endy' (log)

it'll be funny when the first eG group order gets placed and sadistick is up to his ears in tarts ;)

sadistick and I finally finished playing e-mail/phone/jam tag and I went over to pick up an Apricot Linzer Torte on Thursday night.  I had intended to save it to share with family/friends this weekend but...uh...I couldn't resist and took a piece to work on Friday.  I probably would've dug in on Thursday night if it wasn't still frozen-ish (heck, I almost did anyway!).  It smelled so good even under the wrap.

I'll post more thoughts after the weekend when I've had a chance to consume more, but suffice to say that it was excellent and I am glad that sadistick is doing his part in the war against overly sweet desserts.

oh and sadistick is a really nice guy :) in addition to being aptly named :P (his real name, not his handle :P)

Hey Endy! It was a pleasure meeting you the other night, I am so pleased you enjoyed the tart! Yes, many people think its a joke when I tell them my name and the company name, but alas, it is not, just a great coincidence! Looking forward to hearing more feedback.

Nondoc - I think I'll leave that one alone :raz:

We tried the Coconut Tart on the weekend. It was sooooooo good. I was surprised with the weight - it is definitely good value for the money. Please don't tell my family, but I ate 3 pieces. These are low cal, right Justin? :)

On a separate note, could somebody help me out with the process of posting pictures? Thank you!