• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chef At Large

JWest

Has anyone seen the Art of Achatz Episode, covering Alinea in Chicago? If so, Im dying to see a recording of it somehow!

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

I've seen it, it was quite interesting. it's bound to be on again sometime soon, just check the schedule on foodtv.ca. anyone else ever notice that michael smith talks like a kindergarten teacher?

ns

There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves - Fergus Henderson

I can't stand the man. I've met him numerous times in person, and he's exactly like you see him on television. He talks to you like you're retarded. I feel like slapping. :) He's made a huge success of his career by dumbing down food and repackaging it with a focus on "family", but I find him disingenuous.

When he was the "Inn Chef", I loved his show. Now, I can't stand him.

But the Alinea episode was great.

I find him mostly irritating and ocaisionally helpful. The travelogue series across the country was interesting. (Edited sheepishly: I guess that's "Chef at Large".)

Somehow he keeps getting invited back for a new show every year...

Edited by jayt90 (log)

If anyone sees it again, could someone please record it in any way and send it to me please! Im very desperate to get my hands on a copy of this episode, the only problem is that I live in the States :hmmm: . Im willing to give a reward as well.

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

If anyone sees it again, could someone please record it in any way and send it to me please! Im very desperate to get my hands on a copy of this episode, the only problem is that I live in the States :hmmm: . Im willing to give a reward as well.

A free dinner at the Restaurant Kevin Taylor chef's table?

YOu might also want to check this out:

Daily Planet ( Canadian science show) did a section on Alinea as well. You can watch it on their website.

It's in the video archives for April 18th, in case my link doenst work.

Click here!

http://www.exn.ca/dailyplanet/view.asp?date=4/18/2006

Edited by Pookie (log)

Great video! thank you for that ... and for that free dinner... that may be a possibility! ..atleast a gift certificate :wink:

I have also been looking out for this for a while.

I have also been looking out for this for a while.

we'll have to keep eachother posted if we find a copy of it!

• 3 weeks later...

Chef At Large went into the esteemed Ace Bakery this week. It was a rerun I had not seen last winter.

Chef Michael Smith toured the bakery, and watched the operation, without a hair net. Full flowing locks. Everyone else was diligent in protecting the product.

The following day, I asked an Ace counterperson about this. Apparently Smith refused to don the hairnet. I asked if all the food he was involved with was tossed out, and there was no answer, positive or negative.

Clearly, Michael Smith is out of control, stuck on his ego, and arrogant to the point of ignoring provincial laws.

Indeed, a Chef At Large!!

Chef At Large went into the esteemed Ace Bakery this week. It was a rerun I had not seen last winter.

Chef Michael Smith toured the bakery, and watched the operation, without a hair net. Full flowing locks. Everyone else was diligent in protecting the product.

The following day, I asked an Ace counterperson about this. Apparently Smith refused to don the hairnet. I asked if all the food he was involved with was tossed out, and there was no answer, positive or negative.

Clearly, Michael Smith is out of control, stuck on his ego, and arrogant to the point of ignoring provincial laws. 

Indeed, a Chef At Large!!

:unsure: I used to wonder how much hair got in the food when he was cooking on The Inn program. Now he has cut that mop so it's probably a little better. At least, he doesn't touch his locks while cooking.

• 2 weeks later...
I can't stand the man.  I've met him numerous times in person, and he's exactly like you see him on television.  He talks to you like you're retarded.  I feel like slapping. :)  He's made a huge success of his career by dumbing down food and repackaging it with a focus on "family", but I find him disingenuous. 

When he was the "Inn Chef", I loved his show.  Now, I can't stand him.

But the Alinea episode was great.

I completely, completely agree with every word!

I was lurking around this forum so I could rant against the Rubino brothers but I was even more delighted to have the opportunity to concur wholeheartedly with this assessment of Smith.

Whew. I feel SO much better now.

if it comes on again, please record it and I'll pay for the shipping :biggrin:

• 3 months later...