• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New book on the San Juan market

A lovely new book has appeared here in Mexico:

"Del Mercado A la Mesa: El Mercado de San Juan" (from the market to the table: the San Juan market).

For those who don't know, the Mercado San Juan is considered the queen of markets, located in the historic center of Mexico City; it specializes in high quality, imported and exotic foods - from wild mushrooms to armadillos to radichio and, ahem, the occasional raw milk French cheese, unofficially "brought in"....

It is a beautiful coffee table type book, with photos, a history of markets in Mexico City, and of the San Juan in particular. Then there are portraits of individual vendors (all my favorites are included) with a recipe provided by each one. The problem and a big one:

full page promotional photos of Pepsi cola, obviously a sponsor, are placed throughout and within the text. This abomination, as far as I have seen, has set a new precedent for shameless hucksterism, and I´m sure the author, José Iturriaga, must not be happy, but such is the state of economic affairs relating to culture here, and they undoubtedly had no choice but to make this Faustian decision to get it published (by Landucci, an Italian publisher specializing in art books). It goes for around $45 USD, (despite the ads) and is in Spanish only. I would include photos but I can't for the life of me figure out how....

Thanks for the announcement of this book. Strangely to say, we have twice eaten breakfast at a local restaurant (I think at the corner of Ayuntamiento and Dolores, a place we enjoyed very much, but we have never seen activity at the mercado. Once, there were a few flowers for sale.

Are we talking about the same place? The one I'm thinking of is just outside of Mexico City's small Chinatown.

A lovely new book has appeared  here in Mexico:

"Del Mercado A la Mesa: El Mercado de San Juan" (from the market to the table: the San Juan market).

For those who don't know, the Mercado San Juan is considered the queen of markets, located in the historic center of Mexico City; it specializes in high quality, imported and exotic foods - from wild mushrooms to armadillos to radichio and, ahem, the occasional raw milk French cheese, unofficially "brought in"....

<—Cut—>

Buen provecho, Panosmex

Iturriaga received The Slow Food Award for the Defense of Biodiversity back in 2003. He is a very interesting fellow.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Thanks for the announcement of this book. Strangely to say, we have twice eaten breakfast at a local restaurant (I think at the corner of Ayuntamiento and Dolores, a place we enjoyed very much, but we have never seen activity at the mercado. Once, there were a few flowers for sale.

Obviously we are not talking about the same place, unless, perhaps you were there either too early or too late... The Mercado San Juan is always busy but closes early, around 4; I don't know how early it gets going as I don't get going early myself...

The entrance is on calle Ernesto Pugibet, between Luis Moya and Buen Tono. There is an odd, round modernish telephone tower accros the street which can be seen from afar, as a reference. It has nothing to do with the San Juan market of artesanias which is around the corner and sells chachkas.

I think we were about 1 block short, to the south, of actually reaching the real mercado. I do remember some tchachkas for sale, in the schlockatería. :wink:

Obviously we are not talking about the same place, unless, perhaps you were there either too early or too late... The Mercado San Juan is always busy but closes early, around 4; I don't know how early it gets going as I don't get going early myself...

The entrance is on calle Ernesto Pugibet, between Luis Moya and Buen Tono. There is an odd, round modernish telephone tower accros the street which can be seen from afar, as a reference. It has nothing to do with the San Juan market of artesanias which is around the corner and sells chachkas.

Buen provecho, Panosmex

A lovely new book has appeared  here in Mexico:

ke this Faustian decision to get it published (by Landucci, an Italian publisher specializing in art books). It goes for around $45 USD, (despite the ads) and is in Spanish only. I would include photos but I can't for the life of me figure out how....

Where can it be found? Libros y Arte stores? Anywhere in the US? What a market ... cannot wait to get my hands on this book. Thanks for the head's up.

Theabroma

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

Where can it be found? Libros y Arte stores? Anywhere in the US? What a market ... cannot wait to get my hands on this book.

I've seen it here in Ghandi....I doubt in the US as it is in Spanish but you never know; try Amazon...