• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Big Onions

Fat Guy

From the standpoint of convenience, the bigger the onion the better. Less waste, less work. Putting aside for now the question of tiny onions, which are a special category, is there any reason when purchasing onions not to choose the largest ones possible? In other words, do big onions taste any different from their medium-sized counterparts, or are the medium-sized ones just the rejects that get sent to regular consumers (restaurants always seem to get sacks of uniformly gigantic ones)?

This is on my mind because I just worked on some smallish onions in a grab-bag full of differently sized ones and it was annoying.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I can think of two reasons of why I prefer a small onion from time to time. First, I may not have a need for all that onion in a big one. I recognize that I may not pull that half onion out of the fridge for future use, so I'll just use a smaller onion.

Second, the size of the dice, when I typically cut an onion, comes out smaller with a small onion. The "rings" of a large onion are usually thicker, and the size of the dice is dependent on the ring size (unless I want to take extra time to mince the onion).

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I find medium-sized onions no worse in flavor than big onions, and since I'm usually cooking for two, a medium onion is often the right amount. When we have people over--and once we have kids--sure, I'll always spring for the big onions.

Oh, and sure, I could refrigerate the leftover half a large onion, but the idea of pulling a single onion out of the root cellar (i.e., the cabinet under the microwave) and using the whole thing appeals to me.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

I live alone and cook for myself. Often a large onion is just too much for what I need. For instance if I want a slice of onion for a burger I'm not going to pull out a huge spanish onion, take one thin slice and feed the rest to my compost heap.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Based on absolutely no scientific proof, I always buy large onions because I think they are generally milder than their smaller counterparts. (Sometimes that assumption is correct. ) At any given time, you can find a portion of white, yellow and/or red onions in my veggie compartment, wrapped securely in saran and offending no-one. I have no problem removing a single slice, but agree that you have to work a little harder to get tiny dice.

(The same is true of green, red and chile peppers. I keep them on hand even if I only want a small portion for a dish.)

eGullet member #80.

Speaking of big onions, one of my favorite chicken recipes is a Louisiana-Cajun dish called "Chicken a la Gros Oignon." First you make smothered chicken, and when the chicken pieces are tender, you push them to one side of the pan, let drippings cook down, and then stir-fry a thinly sliced great big Spanish onion cut in thin wedges, until it's starting to brown, stir well to mix chicken pieces with onions and let cook together for a few minutes. It's really satisfying. You can add andouille sausage to it or you can make it with a cut-up rabbit instead of the chicken.

We had some big beautiful walla walla onions at the market today.

We do much of our vegetable shopping in Chinatown. I hardly ever see anything but large and larger onions. I suspect it's an eye to economy that is the reason, but it may also be a greater use of onions in the cuisine.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Steve, restaurants order some produce by size, depending on what they need. As you stated, large (referred to as "jumbo", in purveyor-speak) onions are easier to work with for general purposes, so we usually order large. As to the difference in taste, I believe Margeret is correct that a larger onion is milder. A related example would be elephant garlic, which is milder than regular, smaller garlic.