• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pregnant foodie coming your way

aaustin

Nothing is more exciting than hearing the first heartbeat, but to be frank, nothing is more depressing than dining at stellar restaurants and drinking tonic with lime!

So, I am in desperate need of some help. I'm a Seattle native who now lives in Wyoming, so I'm definitely seeking fish, but of the cooked variety. If, however, you've got a great sushi place that also does great cooked fish, even better--my husband will be thrilled since I'd been talking about sushi in vancouver before we found out about the baby.

We're also looking for a really good mid-week dim sum place. I love Chinatowns, and can't wait to discover yours. If there are several places we should stop, for specific dishes, please do tell.

We might also like any less expensive Thai, Korean, or other Asian spots you can recommend...we're starved for everything but Thai. Indian would be good too, if you've got a great Indian spot.

Thanks in advance!

Ali

Edited by aaustin (log)

So, I am in desperate need of some help. I'm a Seattle native who now lives in Wyoming, so I'm definitely seeking fish, but of the cooked variety. If, however, you've got a great sushi place that also does great cooked fish, even better--my husband will be thrilled since I'd been talking about sushi in vancouver before we found out about the baby.

I wouldn't rule out sushi (raw fish) completely, although it's your decision to make. IMO, the risk is negligible is you decide to have a few pieces at a place you trust, on the odd occasion.

For Chinese food, I recommend making a beeline for Richmond rather than Chinatown.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

There's Phnom Penh in Chinatown for Vietnamese/Cambodian dishes. Tje garlic fried squid, chicken wings, the butter beef, and rare beef with anchovy dressing, green peppers and onions are my favourite dishes at that restaurant. I don't like the Cambodian pho dishes too much.

There's lots of good Chinese food in Richmond. There's a Chinese food thread somewhere...

Edited by Ling (log)

Should we skip chinatown altogether and go to Richmond?

For food, definitely. For a nostalgia trip into what used to be Vancouver's Chinatown (that title having long been bequeathed to Richmond), I would say it might be worth a tourist visit. Also, Phnom Penh is worth a visit for the food.

Beware that the surrounding neighbourhood can be pretty rough.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Congratulations, aaustin, on your pregnancy!

You're not entirely knocked out of the sushi park in your condition: Even at one's most conservative, there are non-raw sushi option:

Cucumber, California , and Alaska rolls; taco (otopus) sashimi or sushi - it's been simmered in a ginger-water bath until gently cooked; tamago sushi(sweet scrambled egg) , crab and shrimp sushis; anything with eel.

Then, too, there are the seaweed salads, the gyoza, and the teriyaki offerings which most sushi places also offer.

Good luck eating your way through Vancouver/Richmond! You can even tell your partner: I need to eat every 90 minutes or I'll start feeling nauseated! :biggrin:

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

If you want cooked japanese foods you could always try the izakaya places along robson. I think Guu with garlic is the best - but the the most boisterous. They usually have nice fried or braised dishes.

For Japanese restaurant with good traditional cooked foods - my favorite place is Okada - which is on Neslson and Homer. Fresh sheet will have an excellent mix of raw and cooked seafoods. Dinner is noticably better - in fact I would not go for lunch as the cooked food seems to be confined to premade items for their bento boxes.

Edited by canucklehead (log)

The Bluewater Café is an upscale restaurant in Yaletown that has a sushi bar plus an amazing menu, including all kinds of cooked seafood. That way you can have the best of both worlds! Also, one thing that's great about being pregnant in Vancouver is that every time you have to find a washroom, lo and behold a Starbucks magically appears before you! Have fun!

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

If you want cooked japanese foods you could always try the izakaya places along robson.  I think Guu with garlic is the best - but the the most boisterous.  They usually have nice fried or braised dishes.

Isn't the most boisterous one Guu? On Thurlow near Robson? Guu with Garlic is further down (up?) on Robson.

aaustin, if you decide to go to Guu (on Thurlow), MAKE SURE they give you a sturdy chair to sit on - the stools have been known to fall apart (the legs snap onto the seat). :blink:

Basically, all izakaya places have lots of cooked food to choose from - the focus tends not to be on sushi. And, since the portions are small, you can try a bunch of different things without spending too much money! There are lots of izakaya places in Vancouver (and Richmond). The Guu's, Hapa Izakaya (on Robson), Chopstick Cafe (in Yaletown), Manzo (Richmond - also has a relatively large selection of grilled foods), are just some of them.

These all sound outstanding! True about the cooked fish and sushi options. I've been eating my fare share of unagi.

And I know what you mean about Starbucks being handy for bathrooms, I just have such a hard time going into one for any reason!

Which brings up another thing---great coffee! Or even a great pastry shop or coffee shop with a great vibe for the mornings (with great coffee, of course). I have not cut out all my caffeine...a girl's gotta live, right?

• 3 weeks later...