• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need a large venue for a dance

The Dragon Boat Festival will be in June and they need to find a large space to hold a dance for participants, staff and volunteers on June Saturday 3.

They already have Granville Island providing the bar and most places want to provide their own bar.

A place the size of the Armoury would be perfect. For some reason that one did not pan out this year. The Croatian Culteral Centre would not allow Granville Island to supply the bar as they have their own provision.

Does anyone have a suggestion so I can relay the info to them?

I hope this post is okay as the main concern is finding a place that will allow a group to bring in their own alcohol sponsor.

Thanks.

How about Performance Works on Granville Island just across from the Hotel. We have done some fundraising, auction, food tasting and performances there. It's a multi-functional space and they have audio equipment, small kitchen, various types of stage set-ups.

What about the space above Mario's gelato where they used to have the IVSA tasting every month?

Nice idea....but REALLY EXPENSIVE. If they are using Granville Island beer can they not use the G.I. brewery facility on Granville Island? I have been to private parties there before with 100-150 people.

Cheers,

Stephen

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

I remember one dance I went to a few years back and there were over 300 people. So I would need a very large venue.

I will forward your suggestions to the coordinator.k

Thanks and keep the ideas coming.