• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japanese restaurant for 50?

Woook

Hi Foodies on a sunny May day,

I'm organizing a group of 50 from around the world that want to have authentic Japanese food at a restaurant downtown. Any suggestions?

Please help, I'm drawing a blank! All the places I love (Guu, Gyoza King) are way too small.

Woook

Guu in Gastown might be big enough.

Hapa Izakaya, Sakae, Aki's, or Chiyoda - I think could all handle 50 people are so...

Chiyoda is no longer in operation.

Sakae just lost three of its chefs together with the restaurant manager at the end of April, so I don't know if it is a good time now to bring in a group of 50.

For traditional style Japanese cuisine, Kamei Royale can easily handle 50 people since they are used to catering to large Japanese tour groups.

Guu in Gastown might be big enough.

Hapa Izakaya, Sakae, Aki's, or Chiyoda - I think could all handle 50 people are so...

Chiyoda is no longer in operation.

Sakae just lost three of its chefs together with the restaurant manager at the end of April, so I don't know if it is a good time now to bring in a group of 50.

For traditional style Japanese cuisine, Kamei Royale can easily handle 50 people since they are used to catering to large Japanese tour groups.

My fav Japanese place is Yuji's, W. 4th at Maple (worth the trip over the bridge), but I'm not sure if it's capacity is just under or just over 50. They might not be able to deal with one big group though. They were pretty hesitant when I talked to them about a group. You'd have to talk to the owner. Too bad about Chiyoda, I was just reading a thread where someone mentioned it was a great place for lunch.

If you like the izakaya style (like Guu or Hapa) then you may also like Alpha, which is located at 1099 Richards. I believe the owners used to work at Guu and Kamei Royale.

Here is a link: Alpha Website

Another possibility would be to do the kaiseki multi-course meal at Yoshi's on Denman. Here is a link: Yoshi's Website

What happened to Chiyoda and Sakae? Is there a shake-up?!?!?!?!

Best of luck!

Hi Foodies on a sunny May day,

I'm organizing a group of 50 from around the world that want to have authentic Japanese food at a restaurant downtown. Any suggestions?

Please help, I'm drawing a blank! All the places I love (Guu, Gyoza King) are way too small.

Woook

I know that Oysi Oysi used to entertain large groups of Japanese tourists way back when I was living downtown. I remember them preparing natto especially for them.

www.josephmallozzi.wordpress.com

I think most restaurants hesitate taking big groups because of potential lost revenue. Groups tend to stay longer, less opportunity to upsell etc... If most of your friends are foodies and want GOOD Japanese food I would suggest doing a buyout of a yummy restaurant like Yuji's. I just had their yuzu sorbet on Friday, it was the best yuzu sorbet I've had outside Japan.

Japanese restaurants that cater to large groups tend to not be known for good quality... Ones in downtown that come to mind are Kamei Royale, Koji and Yoshi. Having said that, with 50 people you won't be able to all sit in the same area of the restaurant. Koji does outside catering and I've had great experience using them for big events but I guess this doesn't help you...

Okada on Hornby handles smaller groups, they might be open to doing buyouts.

I miss Chiyoda... where will I go for my gindara (black cod robatayaki) lunch!!

ahh where's the button for the fries?

I feel your pain! I miss their grilled makeral lunches already. So rich and fatty - and fresh fresh fresh - you got a 6 month dose of Omega 3 in one sitting. Only downside was that your breath smelled like you had been licking a dolphin all afternoon.

Okada on Hornby handles smaller groups, they might be open to doing buyouts.

Okada is nice, but please, don't mention about gindara at Chiyoda, or the beef katsu for that matter.

Any idea where the chef from Chiyoka went? I miss the black cod robatayako so much!

I've known The Octopus Garden on Cornwall to hold private parties there. I think they can accomodate 50 people inside .. but i'm not sure if it will be financially feasible for you to do so ... but call Sada anyways. He's a good guy and he'll tell you straight up if it's possible or not.

Best chicken Karaage in the city!