• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dessert ideas using pirouette cookies?

StephMac

Hi, all - I'd like to make a dessert using the hazelnut-chocolate filled pirouette cookies... my mom loves these Pepperidge Farm cookies, so it would be quite appropriate for mother's day :smile: However, I'm not sure which flavors would be good here - something berry sounds good, but then maybe it's better to stay in the chocolate realm? Mom likes pretty much anything, so the options are open.

I was first thinking of using the pirouettes to encircle a raspberry-topped cheesecake, but that's probably going to be too heavy after dinner. Now I'm thinking maybe some kind of mousse torte would be better... or maybe a modified tiramisu using pirouettes instead of ladyfingers?

All suggestions are welcome and appreciated!

A suggestion: you can place Pirouette cookies standing upright around outside of vanilla frosted cake using a bit of the frosting as glue.

Then take grosgrain ribbon and place (around the cake and) around those cookies. Make a separate bow to place on seam. :wink:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I love pirouettes. I like the tiramisu idea. I bet they'd be good crushed up and folded into some buttercream for a center cake layer. Another idea would be to do a concorde, and replace the middle meringue disc with a layer of pirouettes, and then garnish it with pirouettes instead of meringue sticks.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Hmm, the concorde idea sounds interesting - I'll have to think about that one!

Placing the pirouette cookies on the outside of a cake or other dessert and tying it all with a ribbon is the idea I started with, actually (great minds think alike)... but since I make cakes for almost every other occasion, I'd like to see if I can do something without cake or with very little cake this time 'round. Still, a cake surrounded by pirouettes will definitely be my go-to plan if the others don't work out!

Thanks! Keep 'em coming! :laugh:

a ramekin lined with pirouttes (cut to fit, or sticking up a bit) is a great vessel for mousse--chocolate, berry or ?--or for mascarpone mixed with lemon curd, raspberry puree, or ? quick, pretty, and tasty, especially for a piroutter!

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

How about a Charlotte with the pirouettes as the mold liner instead of ladyfingers or sponge (or backed by a jaconde layer to prevent leaking). You could include different layers of bavarian if you want to play with the flavors. Raspberry, coffee, chocolate, orange...

You can still tie it with a pretty ribbon...

Cheryl, The Sweet Side