• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ramos Fizz

Yea, that whole "powdered sugar" thing is a real problem, especially with all the hapless bartenders whose only bar guide is one of the gawdawful Mr. Boston books from the last several decades. You can use what we currently know as "powdered sugar" or "confectioners sugar" in preparing the exteriors of glassware or in dusting garnishes, but you simply cannot use it to sweeten a cocktail. Use simple syrup.

Additional suggestions:

Stop buying half-and-half. It has virtually no use in cocktails, and you can always cut cream with milk to produce your own half-and-half for your coffee or whatever. Also, look out for better cream that doesn't have additives: the better your cream, the better your cream drinks will be.

In cases like the Ramos, I think it's always worth trying Dale DeGroff's recipe from Craft of the Cocktail (see page 117). You may elect to adjust his recipes to your own taste (often, in my case, to make them less sweet), but his book has many classic recipes that have been adapted and vetted for contemporary ingredients. (Keep in mind that all his recipes assume a 1:1 syrup.)

Stop buying half-and-half. It has virtually no use in cocktails, and you can always cut cream with milk to produce your own half-and-half for your coffee or whatever. Also, look out for better cream that doesn't have additives: the better your cream, the better your cream drinks will be.

I have been using Ronnybrook farms heavy cream in my Ramos' -- talk about killer.

I am not sure what the fat content of their cream is, but wow it is rich.

John

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

• 3 months later...

Time Magazine, 1st October 1928

"Died. Henry Charles ("Carl") Ramos, 72, veteran New Orleans saloonkeeper, inventor of the famed, much-imitated Ramos gin fizz;* in New Orleans."

"*Fizzmaker Ramos' recipe: 1 tablespoonful powdered sugar; 3 or 4 drops of orange flower water; juice of one-half lime; juice of one-half lemon; one jigger of Old Tom gin (Old Gordon alternative, but sweet gin preferable); white of one egg; one-half glass of crushed ice; 2 tablespoonfuls of rich milk or cream; an ounce of seltzer for pungency; shake till milklike in air-tight shaker and strain."

Does this mean to shake the seltzer (sodawater) in the shaker? one ounce wouldn't cause an explosion, but it would knock the bubbles out.

Does anyone have any citations for the making of the Ramos Gin Fizz by Ramos himself, i.e. the technique he used personally?

• 1 year later...
That man is a class act.  Great video.

He's using vanilla - am wondering how johnder's experiments with that went . . . .

That man is a class act is right. He's massively entertaining and that stuff he is spouting out is not something he is reading off of a script. If you don't watch it, he'll go off like a juke box on whatever you order. I love having one or two with Chris. He's happily ensconced at the really cool bar in the lobby of the Pere' Marquette Hotel now (coveniently located right outside the door to MILA. I highly reccomend all visitors go visit Chris. Really nice guy, really classic mixologist.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

He's happily ensconced at the really cool bar in the lobby of the Pere' Marquette Hotel now (coveniently located right outside the door to MILA

So he is still in New Orleans?

I googled and found a couple of hotels with that name. The more famous one seems to be in Illinois some place. The one in New Orleans is the Renaissance Pere Marquette. I'm just checking. I'd like to have a couple of his drinks when I visit during Tales of the Cocktail.

The Great One is, indeed, holding court in New Orleans at the Rennaisance Pere Marquette. If you're going to have one of his cocktails, it may pay to come a day or two early or stay a day or two late, as I understand he'll be taking time off during Tales. He is doing a Sunday presentation, though, so you might get lucky there. (On the other hand, I can't think of a better reason to extend your trip by a few days than to sample the fluid delectables issuing from his shaker.)

Steve Morgan

[T]he cocktail was originally intended as a brief drink, a quick aperitif to stimulate appetite and stiffen the flagging gustatory senses, but it has passed into accustomed usage as a drink to be absorbed in considerable quantity despite the admonitions of the judicious. -- Lucius Beebe

I'm planning to arrive on the 15th and leave on the 21st. Reckon I'll catch him?

And is his hotel in the general vicinity of Tales? I don't know New Orleans at all - or even the States for that matter. I'm coming from New Zealand. But if he's going to be in town I sure as hell want to have a couple of his drinks. I loved his videos.

• 3 weeks later...
Wow, thank you both. 

so, to make sure I get this;

2 oz gin(tanq, beef)

1 oz lemon

1 oz lime

1 oz HEAVY cream

1 whole medium egg white

So, I made an attempt at this today.

Didn't work out at all. For one, I think I over did it with the orange flower water. But the huge problem was that it wasn't at all creamy. I shook it dry for a minute or two, then with ice for a minute. When I poured it into a champagne flute and added the club soda, it seems like the cream and or egg got all clumped up. It's like it's all curdled or something. I have done drinks with egg white before, and they have worked. But never with heavy cream and a citrus.

What went wrong here?

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

I think that's too much citrus, which can sometimes curdle both cream and egg white. See my recipe in post #2.

What kind of shaker are you using? How much head space does it have?

How much ice are you using? What kind? How cold?

The sad reality is that sometimes it just won't work out. Try, try again.

--

Wow, thank you both. 

so, to make sure I get this;

2 oz gin(tanq, beef)

1 oz lemon

1 oz lime

1 oz HEAVY cream

1 whole medium egg white

So, I made an attempt at this today.

Didn't work out at all. For one, I think I over did it with the orange flower water. But the huge problem was that it wasn't at all creamy. I shook it dry for a minute or two, then with ice for a minute. When I poured it into a champagne flute and added the club soda, it seems like the cream and or egg got all clumped up. It's like it's all curdled or something. I have done drinks with egg white before, and they have worked. But never with heavy cream and a citrus.

What went wrong here?

Probably good this didn't work out as there is no simple in this and it might have put you off Ramos' FOREVER. I think that with the simple it should woirk as the sugar will bring the PH back in line. There should be about 7 DROPS of the orange flower water. Make sure that your ice is cold (but if it is straight out of your home freezer it is going to be too cold (and will shatter) so add it to your shaker, and then gently rock it for about 15 seconds to temper the ice so it won't shatter when you start really shaking it.) Then shake it until ice starts forming on the outside of the metal part of the shaker. then use a highball glass and get as much of the foam out as possible. A good trick for this (I call it the Alex) is to pour a little of the soda into the shaker and then use a spoon. When pouring in your soda spin the glass from the cheat with your other hand to achive a consistant rising head.

Toby

edit due to lack of coffee

Toby

Edited by Alchemist (log)

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

lets see..

I used a standard boston shaker. So, there was plenty of head space. I DID actually use some simple syrup. (1:1) When I quoted the receipe, I deleted the line with the sugar, but forgot to add one for simple syrup. Maybe I neededa little more?

Ice was straight out of the freezer. It's just regular home freezer ice from an ice maker. It's pretty hard and as cold as my fridge cna make it. (it's usually bone dry when it comes out). I'll say that I always thought having very dry ice was a good thing.

I don't understand the bit of getting rid of the foam. I thought that was part of the drink.

You want to get as much of the foam out of the shaker as possible, so that it goes into the glass.

This page might describe pouring the fizz into the shaker to extract more foam. The remaining film left in the glass reacts with the soda water to produce more foam which is then spoon onto the drink for maximum foam extraction.

nunc est bibendum...

I think that's too much citrus, which can sometimes curdle both cream and egg white.  See my recipe in post #2.

2 oz citrus does seem like a lot. I've been using 1/2 each of lime and lemon which provides enough sourness for my palate but I've never tried 1 1/2 or 2 oz.

nunc est bibendum...

I've since tried the way it's done in that video from New Orleans. Calls for 1/2 of each citrus and a gin other than Tanqueray, Beefeater or such. Also called for vanilla extract, which was a nice touch and not too strong.

I had one at Eastern Standard last night, and they don't use any cream or milk, and it came out tasting almost the same as those I've had with the cream. No loss of foam or flavor. If anything the citrus and orange flower was sharper, but not overpowering. Quite lovely. Cheers to Bobby for making it for me and not throwing me out for asking.

I've since tried the way it's done in that video from New Orleans. 

That's where I got it from too. I've never tried the vanilla; maybe it's time for some experimentation.

Did taking out the cream affect the mouthfeel at all? I assume it would be a little less full-bodied.

ETA: Those videos by Chris McMillian are incredible. The Mint Julep video's one of the greatest things I've ever seen. It'd be worth a trip down there to see that in person.

Edited by Alcuin (log)

nunc est bibendum...

You want to get as much of the foam out of the shaker as possible, so that it goes into the glass.

Ah.. I see. I thought Toby was saying to get rid of the foam before it went into the serving glass. Which didn't make sense to me. I just misread what he posted. I'll certianly try this again. Cutting back on the orange flower water is an easy enough thing. I'll also cut the amount of citrus.

Could the type of cream matter? I just use what is called "heavy whipping cream". It was the Horizon brand (organic). I've never ever been able to find heavy cream that was JUST cream and didn't contain any sort of stablizer. Just doesn't seem to be available here. I've looked and looked.

I know that this is just a basic suggestion, but we have had very good luck just doing what McMillan does above-exactly like he does.

It works so well that, the other night, it occurred to me that a paint shaker would be a good tool to have around. Just put it in, set for 10 minutes, and go do something else. Come back, open, pour, add a little soda, enjoy.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I think that there is something very satisfying about making something the old fashioned way. A hollandaise tastes better if you use a whisk instead of a robocoup, and a Ramos is more refreshing when you have to sweat a bit for it.

Toby

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

I think that there is something very satisfying about making something the old fashioned way.  A hollandaise tastes better if you use a whisk instead of a robocoup, and a Ramos is more refreshing when you have to sweat a bit for it.

Toby

I certainly don't mind a little work and "elbow grease" to make something tasty to eat or drink. Heck, lately I have been making mayo at home by hand with a whisk. :cool: