• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ramos Fizz

Okay, so this thread got me very thirsty. Followed McMillian's recipe using Malacca gin and demerara simple syrup and French orange flower water. I can't imagine a finer drink. Absolutely lovely on a sweltering NYC afternoon. If anything, it goes down too easy. Will repeat with Broker's gin but I'll be surprised if it's any improvement. Only question I have: Would it be better if I continued shaking past the three minute mark?

-Mike

My New Orleans father used to say that you can't over-shake a Ramos!

A contributor to the Drinkboy forum offered the following suggestion. (Haven't tried it, so can't vouch for it.)

"Flash-blend all ingredients (except for seltzer) — without ice — for 30 seconds. Transfer blended mixture to a shaker, and shake — with ice — for another 10-15 seconds. Strain into glass, and top with seltzer."

It's a break from tradition, but if it works, it might come in handy when making fizzes for half a dozen or more brunch guests. If anyone has the opportunity to try it, please let us know how it turns out!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I took another shot at this today, and I think my results were much better.

2 oz gin

1 oz. heavy cream

1 oz lemon juice

1/2 oz lime juice

1 oz simple

1 egg white

few drops orange flower water

No curdling issues this time. I DID get a very distinct, stable, foamy head. I wasn't totally sure if this was right or not. reading thorough this topic again, it seems to be the goal.

However, there were a few issues. Flavor wise, it was a bit lacking.. The non foamy part had little flavor. It was all trapped up in the foamy head. Another issue here was something mentioned a few times already. This drink needs a stronger gin.. Plymouth is all I had on hand (it's typically the only gin I keep on hand since I think it works well in most gin cocktails). Maybe Beefeater? A bit less money than Tanq.

Anyway, I think this drink i worth my time to perfect.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

• 1 month later...

This is a quote from a 1943 ad touting the Ramos gin fizz at the Roosevelt Hotel in New Orleans:

Now you can enjoy this famous drink in our Main Bar or Dinning Rooms. Women find the Ramos’ Fizz smooth and mild--yet satisfying...Men find it tangy and bracing..Try one or two today.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

I took another shot at this today, and I think my results were much better. 

2 oz gin

1 oz. heavy cream

1 oz lemon juice

1/2 oz lime juice

1 oz simple

1 egg white

few drops orange flower water

No curdling issues this time.  I DID get a very distinct, stable, foamy head.  I wasn't totally sure if this was right or not. reading thorough this topic again, it seems to be the goal.

However,  there were a few issues.  Flavor wise, it was a bit lacking..  The non foamy part had little flavor. It was all trapped up in the foamy head.  Another issue here was something mentioned a few times already. This drink needs a stronger gin..  Plymouth is all I had on hand (it's typically the only  gin I keep on hand since I think it works well in most  gin cocktails).  Maybe Beefeater? A bit less money than Tanq.

Anyway, I think this drink i worth my time to perfect.

Beefeater is the way to go as foar as I am concerned. Also I belive this drink is not meant to be bombastic. It is an eyeopener, it is supposed to be gentle and easy and help to bring you back to life, or at least settle your stomach enough that your shrimp and grits are a pleasure not a Kafkaesque nightmare.

Years ago I was talking to a bitter & jaded bartender from NOLA about the Ramos. He said something like...

"You f*^king cocktail c#$ts and your obsession with the f$%king Ramos. It's a stupid brunch cocktail that only bluehairs order."

That runs through my head every time I make one. I still like making and drinking them.

Toby

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

• 2 years later...

A contributor to the Drinkboy forum offered the following suggestion. (Haven't tried it, so can't vouch for it.)

"Flash-blend all ingredients (except for seltzer) — without ice — for 30 seconds. Transfer blended mixture to a shaker, and shake — with ice — for another 10-15 seconds. Strain into glass, and top with seltzer."

It's a break from tradition, but if it works, it might come in handy when making fizzes for half a dozen or more brunch guests. If anyone has the opportunity to try it, please let us know how it turns out!

Can anyone comment on the blender method? Given that the more shaking the better, wouldn't a blender be the ultimate method to create froth? I was also thinking about using an immersion blender for slightly less cleanup.

Can anyone comment on the blender method? Given that the more shaking the better, wouldn't a blender be the ultimate method to create froth? I was also thinking about using an immersion blender for slightly less cleanup.

i've had success in the past with a malt mixer.

sam's whip cream canister idea sounds really practical.

regardless of how you froth it up, putting soda water in the glass before you pour in the ramos mixture produces the most dense and desirable froth.

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

I've been thinking about batching a Ramos in a cream whipper. Seems like it should work.

Oh man, please give an update when you do this. I thought a blender was going overboard, but the nitrous charge would make the thickest foam...

• 1 year later...

I'm digging this up because I want to experiment on the batching idea a little bit.

Now, I was trying to figure out what creates the structure in the drink. Is it a foamed O/W emulsion? Or W/O? What are the agents holding the stuff together? I remember reading a piece about the Ramos' components and how they aren't supposed to create something that works so well, I can't remember where it was, though. Maybe someone has read it, too, and they can point me in the right direction? Thanx in advance.

Until then I'll try to come up with some model of the inner workings of the Ramos when I'm not just headed for work :)

Cheers,

Anton