• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Swizzle sticks

Hello folks,

I'm looking for some of those pronged swizzle sticks they use for jamaican swizzles. Not the usual straight stick, but I guess they look like long pitchforks or such. Does anyone have suggestions for suppliers, or am I out of luck?

Thanks in advance

Sean

What I would do is show up at work grab a cup of coffee, explain to your boss that you have to pop out for a swizzle stick and would they mind starting setting up for you? Hop the soonest plane to Martinque, go to the nearest bar, order a 'Ti Punch, and ask the bartender where to get a swizzle stick. Since you are there allready some beach time and a SCUBA dive or two can't hurt (remember the Boss is holding down the fort, and they are the most compotent people around) followed by another "Ti punch or three.

Pick up three swizzle sticks, head back to the airport and work. Once there, explain that "These babies were devishily hard to find. And could you give me a payout for," pulling a handful of recipts stained with rum and sunscreen " let's see $2,789.49 please?

Edited to add a little something.

Edited by Alchemist (log)

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

• 3 weeks later...

One a few of the Caribbean islands, the bois lele tree grows naturally and a few enterprising individuals harvest the swizzle sticks. They aren't too hard to find in the islands, but they are hard to import as they have to be hand carried.

I bring a few every time I go to the islands, but I don't go often enough.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

• 2 months later...
One a few of the Caribbean islands, the bois lele tree grows naturally and a few enterprising individuals harvest the swizzle sticks. They aren't too hard to find in the islands, but they are hard to import as they have to be hand carried.

I bring a few every time I go to the islands, but I don't go often enough.

Hi Ed Hamilton:

Is there another name for this plant? The name bois lele does not come up on a google search or on any botanical site.

thanks and all best, stephen

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
I don't know about swizzle sticks, but have them be sure to look out for Wray & Nephew Allspice Liqueur and Appleton Estates 21 yr rum.

So any suggestions from anyone on where to get the Wray & Nephew Allspice Liqueur in Jamaica?

I found my bottles of both 21yr old Appleton and Wray and Nephew Allspice liqueur right at the airport.

There are some Liquor stores in MoBay however but I have the feeling the best variety will be at the airport. If shopping in town then check them out but call first to make sure they are open.

One other Jamaican specialty I can think of that is not exported is Rumona, a Wray and Nephew Rum Liqueur also found at the airport. W&N Rum Cream, Peenie Wally Peanut Cream (made w overproof) are decent if into that kind of liqueur. Pick up some Dragon Stout while you're at it too although you'll have to go to a supermarket to get that. There is a decent supermarket near Rose Hall just beyond the airport if going that way (toward Ocho Rios). I couldn't find any small rum distilleries to visit but wanted to. Does anyone know of any that have public access other than Appleton?