• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian on Scott Road in Surrey?

Paul B

There are, of course, a great number of Indian places on Scott Road in Surrey, but I'm looking for one that was recommended by a friend. It's on Scott Road above a bank. It's a more upscale place. That's all I know about it. Does it ring any bells?

I'd like to take my mother-in-law there for mother's day.

Thanks.

Paul B

There are, of course, a great number of Indian places on Scott Road in Surrey, but I'm looking for one that was recommended by a friend.  It's on Scott Road above a bank.  It's a more upscale place.  That's all I know about it.  Does it ring any bells?

I'd like to take my mother-in-law there for mother's day.

Thanks.

Paul,

Is this the place. I've eaten here twice and pretty good. Link below.

Cheers,

Stephen Bonner

Mahek Restaurant

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Yes, Mahek is a nice restaurant and great service. I would not say the food is remarkable. However, the decor is really nice and the service is good. The butter chicken is good. They have a really good deal with the combination plate that gives you a taste of tandoori chicken and butter chicken. Their vegetable pakora is so, so. Nan is great. I really like the people who manage it.

Budget wise of all the restaurants I have mentioned, Mahek is the best deal.

We also went to another restaurant last night which was very nice. It looks very small and dinky from outside but really nice inside. It was absolutely spotless. It is beside Future Shop but located on left hand side of strip mall on the North side. On about 75 and Scott Road. I like the butter chicken at Mahek better then here. I loved the vegetable pakora here. The free crispy type bread...cannot remember how to spell just about burns your mouth out so you better like spice. Mind you, I am not good with spice so perhaps that is my perception. We split a dish of butter chicken...11.50 and a side dish of rice about 2.25. Ordered two orders of nan about 1 something each. My friend had a lasse sweet. The meal came to about 25.00 bucks for the two of us. including the appetizer of vegetable pakora. We were both full so I thought that was a pretty good meal. Not sure I like tandoori chicken though in butter chicken though the chunks of chicken were absolutely huge.

Really clean....great service....nice decor and good food served in timely manner.

We really enjoyed ourselves. It is Tandoori. They have several other restaurants including one in Whistler. There is also another restaurant upstairs on the other side for Indian food but I have never gone there so cannot venture an opinion.

Some people eat at the restaurant on 80th and Scott Rd that is just down 1/2 block. I do not recommend it at all. I found it really dirty which to me is real turn off. If its dirty up front, how dirty is the kitchen? I thought the food was so, so.

So I would give that one a pass. I guess I am starting to sound like a fanatic about clean restaurants. Before I did my career change, I worked as a cook in a kitchen. I always had very clean kitchen habits and kept a clean kitchen. The one thing today I cannot stand is the standards that have gone down regarding cleanliness. I know only too well, how sick people can get. I actually got food poisoning twice..once at a wedding and once on BC Ferries. I have never eaten a cheese burger to this day.

There is also the Green Lettuce down on 65 and Scott Road that everyone raves about...really clean and great service...hot spicy chinese indian food but I did not think it was that great.....I have neighbours from Bombay who go there at least once a week and swear by it and love the beef dishes though the mom is vegetarian though just her kids eat the beef dishes. They love hot food and say its fantastic and authentic. We ordered chinese combination plates and maybe that was our mistake.

Samasutra

Edited by samasutra (log)
Never met a vegetable I never liked except well okra!

A couple of weeks ago we went to a place on 96th and Scott ... when you come up the hill and hit 96th it's in the complex on the right hand side. Dang if I can remember the name. If you pass right by Mehfil on the left hand side just look to the right hand side immediately and it's right there.

Anyways, it was clean and when the restaurant filled up it was mostly indo-canadian which I suppose follows the old adage that a chinese restaurant populated by chinese people is the clue to a decent restaurant.

The butter chicken was good. Same with the Tandoori chicken as well as a bunch of other stuff. The Naan was not bad but i've had better.

I'm not an Indian food expert but I like to eat it!

Many thanks. Good advice and I do belive Mahet is the one that I was told about.

There should probably be an entire thread about Indian cuisine in Surrey -- perhaps this is it...

Paul B

• 2 weeks later...

Really clean....great service....nice decor and good food served in timely manner.

We really enjoyed ourselves. It is Tandoori. They have several other restaurants including one in Whistler. There is also another restaurant upstairs on the other side for Indian food but I have never gone there so cannot venture an opinion.

Jeffy Boy and I go to Tandoori quite frequently. For a change we tried the upstairs restaurant on the south side of Future Shop. It was not as good as Tandoori so we haven't gone back (sorry I don't remember specifics).

A few years ago we had been going to Mahek regularly but that location closed and we then discovered Tandoori. We'll have to give Mehek a try again.

Support your local farmer

Currently reading:

The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters

Just finished reading:

The 100-Mile Diet by Alisa Smith & J. B. MacKinnon