• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New York Times BBQ Article

bhoward

There is an article in the July 24, 2002 New York Times concerning four central Texas BBQ spots. I am sure that all from the area have eaten at each of these many times. Enjoy.

Many speak of my drinking but few think of my thirst.

I would have to disagree with the idea of grilling in excess of 400 degrees, while it may cook a perfect ribeye or porterhouse, it is a sure way to turn brisket into a hunk of leather.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

I would have to disagree with the idea of grilling in excess of 400 degrees, while it may cook a perfect ribeye or porterhouse, it is a sure way to turn brisket into a hunk of leather.

Good morning, Mark.

Thought of you today, whilst reading the Austin paper.

In the Food section, they were discussing a new "contraption that will give pepper lovers a thrill."

It's a "chile grill" that holds peppers upright for heating in the oven or BBQ.

You can find one at chilegrill.com.

Yours in capsicum,

Jaymes

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Oh - and thank you BHoward for that link.

You are correct, all four restaurants are indeed perennial favorites of the locals.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

i can't believe they put the salt lick in that list, they are so overrated, i'd rather go to the county line

We have completely different tastes. When I lived in Austin, the only joint I didn't like was the County Line. The sauce they serve tastes like watered down ketchup, horribly unappealing. But they are the only place I can think of that serves up beef ribs and I did like their sausage. And I do like the Salt Lick, primarily because of their sauce, the habenero sauce is even better. But of course bbq shouldn't be about sauce, it should be about the meat! That's why Kreuz's is my favorite.

Mark, I agree with you about 400 being too hot. I'd like not to believe it, but this is the second source to state such an high temp. In "Legends of Texas BBQ" a Houston Chronicle reporter writes the very same. I can see the searing at first as in the Times article, but wrapping it in tin foil and sauce? I think you're taking away from the meat, but then again I'm a proponent of Kreuz's style; the less sauce the better.

Damn, I'm getting the shakes for brisket again.

i can't believe they put the salt lick in that list, they are so overrated, i'd rather go to the county line

We have completely different tastes. When I lived in Austin, the only joint I didn't like was the County Line. The sauce they serve tastes like watered down ketchup, horribly unappealing. But they are the only place I can think of that serves up beef ribs and I did like their sausage. And I do like the Salt Lick, primarily because of their sauce, the habenero sauce is even better...

Sadly, I love 'em all. :wacko:

But County Line is my least favorite.

I do like their babyback ribs, and they are the "nicest" and most-expensive of "joints" (as you put it :biggrin: ). I had a laugh when I saw in one of the New York (or New Jersey threads) that someone had gone to a BBQ place and it was "$60 per person, which I thought was reasonable."

County Line is BY FAR our most expensive "barbecue restaurant" but it's easy to get out of there for $25 a person! They have a full bar, "restauranty" tables and chairs, metal tableware, and classy desserts. That is where we take the out-of-town guests that we believe wouldn't want to hit a REAL "joint" nor drive the hour and a half (or more) to one of the TRUE 'cue temples.... Kreuz, Cooper's, Louie Mueller's, etc.

Also, County Line has wonderful "sides" and is famous for their breads, but who goes to a BBQ joint for bread!!??

And the Salt Lick. Yes, I love it there. I like looking at the big pit with the meat hanging all 'round. And their 'cue is wonderful.

Man, am I spoiled little 'cue brat.

And that's just how I like it.

:biggrin:

PS - Celeb mention: In an interview, Sandy Bullock said that the Salt Lick was her "favorite restaurant in all the world." She gets the BBQ Chicken Sandwich.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, not sure what happened there. Anyway....

Boy, we do have it good in central Texas as far as slowcooked meat is concerned. Great thread! Couldn't help but to pipe in on this one.

Cooper's in Llano - My alltime favorite. The pork chop is simply something that just can't be missed before death. Slow cooked on an old school hardwood pit then just completely submerged while still piping hot in vinegar and drippings. Viola! One of the pitmasters from there opened his own place, Opie's which is at the Spicewood turnoff, out on West 71, but half the distance to Llano and almost as good.

Sam's - The old stanby on East 12th has the best ribs I've ever tasted. Good sauce and kickass sides too. Also open till like 3:00 or 4:00 in the AM on weekends.

Artz Rib House - Country Style Pork Ribs and Baby Backs are the bomb. Good sauce too. My son loves the banana pudding sundaes.

Kruez - THE best in alot of people's opinion, I would have to agree for the simple fact that they share a passion for the most perfect and succulent cut of pork for rubbing and smoking - the PORK BUTT! Brisket is the bomb too. Their method is THE quintessential old time German style pit BBQ way, meat, pickles and butcher paper is all you'll possibly need. Love that. Black's, also in Lockhart is pretty good too.

Salt Lick - Hmm, maybe the food is at times a bit overhyped, but give me a break, the atmosphere out there on a summer evening with the fireflies is as close to heaven as anyplace I've been. And BYOB? I finally got there early enough on a Sunday to attempt the smoked Prime Rib. OMG. Well it looked like something from the Flintstones, the eye of perfectly cooked MR meat was like the size of a phonebook and almost as thick. I couldn't believe it and was glad to be a passenger on the way home. Definitely not for the faint hearted. I can't recommend it enough. German style sides pretty good too, and unique as far inner city standards are concerned.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/081...1742174-1013466

That's a link to the Amazon page for the new book by Robb Walsh "Legends of Texas Barbecue Cookbook". I bought this book and basically sat down and read every page in one sitting. I passed it out in Korea on my BBQ trip there this spring, and it's pretty much the new BBQ bible in my honest opinion. The most history, technique and information on Texas style BBQ compiled in one book to date.

Cheers!

PS: County Line Sucks.

:sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:

Boy, we do have it good in central Texas as far as slowcooked meat is concerned. Great thread! Couldn't help but to pipe in on this one.

Cooper's in Llano - My alltime favorite. The pork chop is simply something that just can't be missed before death. Slow cooked on an old school hardwood pit then just completely submerged while still piping hot in vinegar and drippings. Viola! One of the pitmasters from there opened his own place, Opie's which is at the Spicewood turnoff, out on West 71, but half the distance to Llano and almost as good.

Salt Lick - Hmm, maybe the food is at times a bit overhyped, but give me a break, the atmosphere out there on a summer evening with the fireflies is as close to heaven as anyplace I've been. German style sides pretty good too, and unique as far inner city standards are concerned.

PS: County Line Sucks.

:sad:  :sad:  :sad:  :sad:  :sad:

Cooper's is my favorite, too. And I agree with almost every other word you said. I like Salt Lick as well...because of the atmosphere, the big pit, and the "German-style sides." I really like the potato salad, which I admit is an acquired taste.

But again, Cooper's is the best to my mind. It's a drive, but one I make about once a month to bring back some of that wonderful food.

As for County Line: If you read my post, you'll see that I said it's my least favorite. But, just to show you how indeed we really do "have it good in central Texas as far as slowcooked meat is concerned," think about this: We can all turn our noses up at County Line, but if we were ANYWHERE ELSE, we'd undoubtedly think it was great.

THAT'S how lucky we are!!

When I first came to Austin, from Boston and DC, I thought County Line was good and really looked forward to eating there.  Now I wouldn't consider going there.

Here's the thing about County Line.

I think we can all agree, as would any genuine barbecue aficionado, that County Line's barbecue is inferior to that served in local 'cue meccas.

But that said, allow me to illustrate a recent event. I have an aunt and uncle who are lifelong New Yorkers. A while back, they came for a visit. Among their list of "things to do while in Texas" was, "eat barbecue."

Now these two have rarely (and I'm betting it's really "never") eaten truly fabulous barbecue. They are in their late 60's and are "formal" people.... his idea of going out to eat "casually" is a sport coat and open-necked polo. Hers was a denim skirt (bought specially for her visit to Texas), fancy white shirt with a few sparkly "cowboy" decorations, nylons and low (1") heels.

They also enjoy a good belt before dinner (Martinis for him; Manhattans for her), cordials after, and wine during. I remember once when we were all together somewhere and someone had gotten us to a "diner" style restaurant that didn't serve booze. My aunt and uncle were very nice about it, but you could tell this wasn't their preferred restaurant dining experience.

They do enjoy eating out and do so at least three times a week, but they are neither foodies, nor food hobbyists. They just enjoy a good meal in a nice setting.

I could never have gotten them to sit in the car for an hour and a half, and then unloaded them at, say, Cooper's. The thought is comical.

And I have no wish to laugh at them, nor instruct them, nor lecture, nor scold them.

They are lovely, gracious people who have been exceptionally kind to me.

So where did we go for "Texas barbecue"?

County Line, of course.

They loved it.

I knew they would.