• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Vietnamese

my friend is organizing a non-traditional stag do (male & female guests, no strippers, etc.) and they want to start of the night at a great vietnamese. the three places being tossed around now are:

viet hoa on kingsland road

cay tre on old street

song que on kingsland road

any thoughts on the above or recommendations for other restaurants?

thanks in advance.

my friend is organizing a non-traditional stag do (male & female guests, no strippers, etc.) and they want to start of the night at a great vietnamese.  the three places being tossed around now are:

viet hoa on kingsland road

cay tre on old street

song que on kingsland road

any thoughts on the above or recommendations for other restaurants?

thanks in advance.

Haven't been bowled over by anything on Kingsland Road lately, and I doubt the spartan atmosphere is stag conducive. Viet Hoa's original owners have opened Viet Garden in Islington, which may be a better bet.

Edited by naebody (log)

viet hoa always great - for somehting a little less basic / a little more plastic try pho,st john street - neither condusive to lingering but maybe not what you need on a stag night ...

Personally I would say try Tay-do it's opposite viet hoa and has a much more buzzy atmosphere.

bring your own booze, cheap prices and very tasty.

I recommeded the beef in hot leaves, deep fried prawns, the lamb cutlets, the special spring rolls, papaya salad and the special tay do bun.

if you need the strippers Browns is only a short stagger down the road :raz:

A mixed stag and hen night is called a Hag night :wink:

I assume the party will be descending to hoxton square?

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"